Future of FP+ vs Virtual Queues

Chi84

Premium Member
The ADA doesn’t cover made up and make believe disabilities and illnesses. You would have to lie, which is wrong, to be covered by the ADA.
There should be a special place in hell for people who lie about having a disability for their own convenience. @Trackmaster: The ADA was not delivered from the mountaintop. It's a law that can and will be amended or repealed if people abuse it.

The provision that states people do not have to present papers to prove their disability to business owners will be changed if enough people start lying.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

The ADA doesn’t cover made up and make believe disabilities and illnesses. You would have to lie, which is wrong, to be covered by the ADA.

Let me preface this by saying that I have ADHD. I'm fully diagnosed and take daily medication, and I was diagnosed when I was a kid. It never goes away and gets better.

Now that I have that out of the way, literally all that I tell guest services is "I have ADHD, I'm going to need a DAS pass please." Nothing more, and I get it. I'm medicated daily, so you really couldn't tell by my demeaner and how I carry myself. Literally anybody could just say "I have ADHD, please give me a DAS pass." To be honest, I invite people to. I think that forcing people to stand around for hours like caged animals for no real reason is just wrong. It should all be on virtual queue, and provided for people who want it, with a standby line side by side.

And when that dude said "you'll go to heck for getting DAS passes." I'm pretty sure if there's a Big Dude up there smiling down on all of us, I'm pretty she He or She has more to worry about than DAS passes at this point.

Chi84

Premium Member
Let me preface this by saying that I have ADHD. I'm fully diagnosed and take daily medication, and I was diagnosed when I was a kid. It never goes away and gets better.

Now that I have that out of the way, literally all that I tell guest services is "I have ADHD, I'm going to need a DAS pass please." Nothing more, and I get it. I'm medicated daily, so you really couldn't tell by my demeaner and how I carry myself. Literally anybody could just say "I have ADHD, please give me a DAS pass." To be honest, I invite people to. I think that forcing people to stand around for hours like caged animals for no real reason is just wrong. It should all be on virtual queue, and provided for people who want it, with a standby line side by side.

And when that dude said "you'll go to heck for getting DAS passes." I'm pretty sure if there's a Big Dude up there smiling down on all of us, I'm pretty she He or She has more to worry about than DAS passes at this point.
If people start lying about being disabled in order to get a disability pass, it won’t be long before those passes are ended. When you go to guest services and say you’re disabled and need a pass, instead of getting one with no questions asked, you may hear “Sorry, sir, we had to end that program because everyone was asking for a pass and our systems couldn’t accommodate so many people skipping the line.”

I wasn’t commenting on people with disabilities asking for passes - only those who would lie about having a disability.

People seem to think that the ADA will remain the same no matter how much it’s abused. That’s not usually the case with laws that are abused. They usually end up getting changed.

Also, Disney is not required by the ADA to give out DAS passes. It’s their program, developed out of the best of intentions. They can end it.

Trackmaster

If people start lying about being disabled in order to get a disability pass, it won’t be long before those passes are ended. When you go to guest services and say you’re disabled and need a pass, instead of getting one with no questions asked, you may hear “Sorry, sir, we had to end that program because everyone was asking for a pass and our systems couldn’t accommodate so many people skipping the line.”

I wasn’t commenting on people with disabilities asking for passes - only those who would lie about having a disability.

People seem to think that the ADA will remain the same no matter how much it’s abused. That’s not usually the case with laws that are abused. They usually end up getting changed.

Also, Disney is not required by the ADA to give out DAS passes. It’s their program, developed out of the best of intentions. They can end it.

I'm pretty sure that the Disney has to offer something. Otherwise every theme park in the country wouldn't low-key offer a disability pass. It makes it harder on harder on parks, and competes with the paid skip the line passes that they want to sell. No way they'd offer it for free unless they were forced to at gun point.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that the Disney has to offer something. Otherwise every theme park in the country wouldn't low-key offer a disability pass. It makes it harder on harder on parks, and competes with the paid skip the line passes that they want to sell. No way they'd offer it for free unless they were forced to at gun point.
Disney was an industry leader in accommodating the disabled long before the ADA was enacted in 1990. It often goes over and above what is necessary without being forced to do so at gunpoint.

The ADA requires only reasonable accommodation, and what that means will differ with the circumstances. Disney used to give out GAC cards, which allowed front of the line access. When too many people asked for them, it switched to the DAS program, which is not as good. Disney was sued, and they won - apparently, the GAC access they were giving was more than they were required to do. If people abuse the current system, I guess we'll find out how little Disney can do and still be doing "something."

The aspect of the ADA that is most controversial is the provision that does not allow inquiry into, or require proof of, disability. That provision is not required by some higher power - it is not an immutable law that must forever remain. It is a provision that was adopted by our legislature and it can be changed the same way. It's already being challenged in court by businesses due to people bringing their family pets wherever they like by representing they are "service animals." If this gets out of hand, my prediction is that the ADA will be changed to require some sort of proof.

People abusing the system will eventually result in those who are truly disabled getting less. It has already happened when Disney changed from GAC to DAS.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

Disney was an industry leader in accommodating the disabled long before the ADA was enacted in 1990. It often goes over and above what is necessary without being forced to do so at gunpoint.

The ADA requires only reasonable accommodation, and what that means will differ with the circumstances. Disney used to give out GAC cards, which allowed front of the line access. When too many people asked for them, it switched to the DAS program, which is not as good. Disney was sued, and they won - apparently, the GAC access they were giving was more than they were required to do. If people abuse the current system, I guess we'll find out how little Disney can do and still be doing "something."

The aspect of the ADA that is most controversial is the provision that does not allow inquiry into, or require proof of, disability. That provision is not required by some higher power - it is not an immutable law that must forever remain. It is a provision that was adopted by our legislature and it can be changed the same way. It's already being challenged in court by businesses due to people bringing their family pets wherever they like by representing they are "service animals." If this gets out of hand, my prediction is that the ADA will be changed to require some sort of proof.

People abusing the system will eventually result in those who are truly disabled getting less. It has already happened when Disney changed from GAC to DAS.

I mean I know about all of this that you're talking about. Hence why my assumption is that the parks are doing it at gunpoint. Sure, they might do something if it wasn't for the courts, but the courts take it to absurd proportions. I think that offering something like Fast Pass should be enough to provide "reasonable accommodations." I don't see why would anything would be needed on top of Fast Pass.

Chi84

Premium Member
I mean I know about all of this that you're talking about. Hence why my assumption is that the parks are doing it at gunpoint. Sure, they might do something if it wasn't for the courts, but the courts take it to absurd proportions. I think that offering something like Fast Pass should be enough to provide "reasonable accommodations." I don't see why would anything would be needed on top of Fast Pass.
You won't get any argument from me about Fast Pass. I love it.

The vast majority of accommodations required by the ADA concern ride and line designs to allow for wheelchair access and relate to persons with physical disabilities such as loss of mobility, sight, hearing, etc. I believe it is only quite recently that mental and emotional disabilities have started to play a significant role in ADA accommodations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom