Future Disneyland Resort run weekends cancelled?

Darkbeer1

My guess is this has a lot to do with trying to hurt the city financially. The other factors like construction and no longer using volunteers thus lowering profit were nails in coffin.

I really don't think Disney wants to hurt the city. That said, it has to do something that shows the powers at be and of course, the voters in the November 2018 election, that it is a key part of driving the city finances, both directly and indirectly.

It is a bit frustrating to have to talk local politics in regards to any new project in the works.

Today, I got thrown between a rock and a hard space in regards to one of the projects I am working on. And yes, it was politics... Though has nothing to do with the theme park industry... Still trying to figure it out before the convention starts on Friday...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Disappointed I won't be getting my first Kessel or C2C medals next year. Didn't realize the reason rD went to temp staff for races was due to legal ruling, not the reason rD provided - volunteers had problems coordinating with LE and City officials for permits and road closures.

Was thinking of keeping my hotel reservation in January, but after reading about all the construction currently happening and what's coming up, think I'll just stay here in Florida. We WDWers are spoiled since Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista municipalities and Reedy Creek are all Disney owned. And neither Orange County or the Florida Legislature would pass any laws that would negatively impact a major source of tax dollars. After reading all the issues with the Anaheim city council, Walt was wise to purchase 27,000 acres of swamp and orange groves in Central Florida.

Not sure rD could add a 5th race at WDW. It was pretty warm for this year's Dark Side. Will be too hot and humid starting in May....And pretty much until November. Plus, hurricane season runs June - November, and unlike CA, it rains during the summer. You'd either have to add a race in March, meaning a race every month for the first 4 months of the year, or something after Wine and Dine. Which will impact MVMCP and those crowds. Same would hold for a race in October. There are no more slow months at WDW.

Darkbeer1

Disappointed I won't be getting my first Kessel or C2C medals next year. Didn't realize the reason rD went to temp staff for races was due to legal ruling, not the reason rD provided - volunteers had problems coordinating with LE and City officials for permits and road closures.

Well, I appreciate the East Coast viewpoint... Thanks.

And as for Disney Speak, I have been dealing with it over 3 decades, and you know they will not admit to things that make them look bad, or the legal department doesn't want on the record. In this case, saying the labor ruling was the cause could come back to bite them in a lawsuit for back wages. Same reason Disney won't publically state politics as a reason.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well, I appreciate the East Coast viewpoint... Thanks.

And as for Disney Speak, I have been dealing with it over 3 decades, and you know they will not admit to things that make them look bad, or the legal department doesn't want on the record. In this case, saying the labor ruling was the cause could come back to bite them in a lawsuit for back wages. Same reason Disney won't publically state politics as a reason.

I really appreciated your posts detailing the issues with the City of Anaheim and all the construction currently going on and future plans, like the new hotel and gateway.

As I stated previously, those of us who are frequenters of WDW are spoiled - everything we see is Disney - the towns of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, Reedy Creek, the construction companies, etc. And both local and state officials don't want to upset the company that puts millions of tax dollars into their coffers - WDW is responsible for half of the 110 million tourists who visited Florida last year.

Grew up in LA. Forgot how interesting local politics are.....

Darkbeer1

I really appreciated your posts detailing the issues with the City of Anaheim and all the construction currently going on and future plans, like the new hotel and gateway.

As I stated previously, those of us who are frequenters of WDW are spoiled - everything we see is Disney - the towns of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, Reedy Creek, the construction companies, etc. And both local and state officials don't want to upset the company that puts millions of tax dollars into their coffers - WDW is responsible for half of the 110 million tourists who visited Florida last year.

Grew up in LA. Forgot how interesting local politics are.....

If you think Anaheim is bad, the city of LA is worse. They are trying to implement "Road Diets", and think how well that is going over with the average citizen.

http://www.dailynews.com/2017/09/19...re-starving-la-of-common-sense-susan-shelley/

LAKid53

Premium Member
If you think Anaheim is bad, the city of LA is worse. They are trying to implement "Road Diets", and think how well that is going over with the average citizen.

http://www.dailynews.com/2017/09/19...re-starving-la-of-common-sense-susan-shelley/

For a city whose residents live in their cars, what a stupid, boneheaded idea. Has common sense died in LA since we lived there?

The town I live in in NW Florida did the same thing to one of the major east-west roads to make it more pedestrian friendly. Completely ignoring that there were already sidewalks on both sides. And they put in a traffic circle. That drunk college students have a propensity to smash into. That road was a major artery feeding the university football stadium and state office buildings downtown...but no, the city (with the university's prodding) had to do it. And guess what....it's a nightmare to drive, period. And more vehicular accidents.

But I guess idiotic politicians are everywhere.....

Phroobar

Just like CalTrans, it is their job to make your commute as difficult as possible. If you can't get anywhere, maybe you will stay home and that means one less car on the road.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Just like CalTrans, it is their job to make your commute as difficult as possible. If you can't get anywhere, maybe you will stay home and that means one less car on the road.

Yeah, LA is too spread out to make public transportation really effective. What's the old joke? LA is a bunch of suburbs trying to be a city....

Darkbeer1

For a city whose residents live in their cars, what a stupid, boneheaded idea. Has common sense died in LA since we lived there?

Basically yes, but as you say, you can find them across the world.

But we are getting off topic. And thanks for the kind words.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Basically yes, but as you say, you can find them across the world.

But we are getting off topic. And thanks for the kind words.

It's always great chatting with folks from back home, no matter the topic.

Darkbeer1

It's always great chatting with folks from back home, no matter the topic.

As a native San Diegan, and always had a permanent address in SoCal, but have lived a lot of places in the short term... Heck, I had a Canadian Drivers License... I have seen a lot in the last 6 decades, yes, the Theme Parks I grew up with, ones I have seen built from the ground up, and parks closed.

But I have also seen the politics change. And now in my real life, I am dealing with a State Senator recall, stopping the gas tax increase, homelessness policy, parking problems in the city (in general, not just the Disney/Convention Center) and more. Plus still dealing with my Tax clients. So government is a regular part of my life. Guess I love Roller Coasters, both to ride physically, plus having them involved in my general life, and trust me, relying on getting something done with the government is a roller coaster ride of a different type, and trust me, we are talking woodies, not smooth tubular steel ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
As a native San Diegan, and always had a permanent address in SoCal, but have lived a lot of places in the short term... Heck, I had a Canadian Drivers License... I have seen a lot in the last 6 decades, yes, the Theme Parks I grew up with, ones I have seen built from the ground up, and parks closed.

But I have also seen the politics change. And now in my real life, I am dealing with a State Senator recall, stopping the gas tax increase, homelessness policy, parking problems in the city (in general, not just the Disney/Convention Center) and more. Plus still dealing with my Tax clients. So government is a regular part of my life. Guess I love Roller Coasters, both to ride physically, plus having them involved in my general life, and trust me, relying on getting something done with the government is a roller coaster ride of a different type, and trust me, we are talking woodies, not smooth tubular steel ;)

Native Los Angelian. Spent my adult life working in government, so I understand the issues you address.

Wooden rollercoasters, that brings back memories. Loved the one at POP.

jocarol

Darkbeer1

OK, it is the same basic area, and where will the hotel guests park?

By the way, I hinted at this months ago, as there are height issues (aka the Disney Cone) the are in the city building code.

Now, once the construction is completed, they might be able to use the parking lot, but it will be construction vehicles and work trailers for a few years.

LAKid53

Premium Member
OK, it is the same basic area, and where will the hotel guests park?

By the way, I hinted at this months ago, as there are height issues (aka the Disney Cone) the are in the city building code.

Now, once the construction is completed, they might be able to use the parking lot, but it will be construction vehicles and work trailers for a few years.

Unlike construction at WDW, there are no large undeveloped areas to store materials and equipment. During the renovation of the South Wing at Wilderness Lodge and the construction of the Copper Creek cabins, a portion of the WL parking lot was blocked off for use by construction vehicles and trailers. In addition, land near the hotel was used.

If I remember from my stay in 2015, there's not a lot of open area around Disneyland. It's parks, hotels, parking lots, backstage, neighborhoods, freeways, other hotels, etc.

I'm in agreement with you. The staging area for the DLR races will be unavailable for the length of time it will take to finish that hotel. If they came back in 2019, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom