Furthest driving distance and annual pass

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We have a 7-hr drive to get to WDW... if it was less... say 5 or less, we might be tempted to get an annual pass.

Any of you have annual passes with really bad travel to Orlando area?

Or are annual passes being used mostly by locals?

I live in , and have an AP. We drive down in the early afternoon (to beat ATL traffic), and usually end up stopping around Lake City, FL (roughly 2 hours from WDW). That way, the next morning we're up and usually arriving right on time to check into our condo, or to hit the parks. We usually to to WDW two times a year, which more than pays for the AP in the end. Hope this helps.:wave:

PrincessBitty

We live in Wisconsin & have annual passes ... my hubby, dad, and brother are driving down next Saturday (22 hours) ... me & everyone else in the family are flying :ROFLOL:

Phonedave

An AP is good for 366 days from the day you buy it [or the day you exchange a certificate for it]. So if you got it in April, you'd be able to use it the following March.

For price value, a three-day hopper [an AP has the same park access as a hopper, you can go to multiple parks on the same day] ticket costs $288.62. An AP costs $520.79. Two trips of three or more days and it pays to get an AP. If you never park hop, it basically takes three trips under 7 days before an AP is worth it or two 7+ day trips. The calculation doesn't factor in AP discounts at WoD or dining and also ignores possible AP discounts on resort stays.

You are assuming the person would buy 2, 3 day tickets, as opposed to 6 day with no expiration option. Thats cheaper, and pushes the break even point out to around 10 days total last time I looked.

-dave

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
You are assuming the person would buy 2, 3 day tickets, as opposed to 6 day with no expiration option. Thats cheaper, and pushes the break even point out to around 10 days total last time I looked.

-dave
There are various approaches. I agree that a ten-day hopper with no expire option is cheaper. I was taking the approach that if you went on two trips without planning ahead, then two three-day trips would cost more than what an AP does.

Every individual needs to do their own math based on their own circumstance.

Batphobic

Original Poster
Wow - some great stories here. Thanks everyone (and keep 'em coming - not trying to shut the conversation down).

Guess I'm not well versed enough in some of the other AP discounts because yeah, with approx $50 lodging with the AP discount that could be the way to go.

AZDISNEYDVL

AP holder from Arizona. Not sure about the drive because I always fly. Only live a 5 hour drive or 45 minute flight from Disneyland but would rather take the 4 hour plus flight to WDW.

pixiesteno

We are in Southwestern NY and just became AP holders this past September, due to a snafu on a lovely CMs part we actually have 15 month APs:) Because we're AP holders I am going to be calling sometime today to book a week at the end of January for DH & my 22nd Anniversary. We went last December with a regular package and had no idea that we would be back as early as March, DS checked out a college in Winter Park. When I figured the money we spent between the two trips on tickets it really was a no-brainer. It doesn't hurt that DS is in Winter Park for college, and he has used his AP several times already.
Sorry, I degress ... we like to drive down, much less stress for those of us who do not like to fly. It's about 19 to 22 hours depending on traffic etc. We found we enjoyed the drive in March, we had our wheels if we wanted to use them on property. Our last day was spent at DHS until we had enough and we just hopped in the truck and headed north; sans the trauma of waiting on the DME bus and then sitting at the airport going "we could still be in the parks." Much less traumatic for some of us. I'm currently working with two different pin numbers for room discounts for the same timeframe. :sohappy:

wdwwdeagle

I live in , and have an AP. We drive down in the early afternoon (to beat ATL traffic), and usually end up stopping around Lake City, FL (roughly 2 hours from WDW). That way, the next morning we're up and usually arriving right on time to check into our condo, or to hit the parks. We usually to to WDW two times a year, which more than pays for the AP in the end. Hope this helps.:wave:
Our situation is similar. We have APs this year for the first time.

We also live 7 hours from WDW. Sometimes we leave in the late afternoon after the kids get out of school, and stay over in Ocala or Gainesville (about 5.5 hours), and then drive the last 1.5 hrs. in the morning so that we can a) save on a night of a WDW hotel room ($90 Hampton Inn vs. $200+- Disney resort); and b) have an "extra" day at the parks (arriving mid-morning vs. mid-afternoon). We also have done this on the way back where we stay all day at the parks, drive up to Ocala late that night, and then drive home the next morning. We get home by lunchtime so DH can get in a half day of work, and again, stay an "extra" day without having to pay for the extra night at WDW resort.

I have found that since we got the AP, we are saving a ton over what we've spent on MYW packages in the past, so we are able to go more often. Room discounts, TIW card discounts really add up, and we aren't tempted to do the dining plan anymore, which is convenient but more costly and more food than we really need.

I doubt we'll renew our APs, because as much as we love WDW, there are other places we'd like to take the kids to vacation, and 'see the world', but I would definitely say they are worth it if you want to go to WDW more than just once every year or two.

We are passholders and our drive is 12 hours. We are heading out Monday evening 11/23/09 and will be spending our 6th Thanksgiving at Wilderness Lodge. We like the annual passes because we can usually get a discount rate at either DWL or AKL our 2 favorites. This will only be a 4 night trip but we had 2 others earlier in the year for longer periods which makes the pass a good deal for us. We leave in 6 days!

Greggy D

Im in Scottsdale AZ 31 hour drive 2,163 miles. I have an AP to both The Land and The World :) I go to Disneyland once every 5 weeks and the World about 5-6 times a year.

I've never driven. It's only a 4 hour flight nonstop from Phoenix. 5 hours on the way back.

I'll be there for NYE :) and Disneyland for X-Mas.

dznygirl64

1204 miles to the Poly parking lot,Thats when we used to drive down.Now with cheap Airtran tickets we fly down 4-5 times a year and yes we have annual passes.I dont think it matters how far a way you live its the amount of time you use your pass that makes it a deal or not.Do your own math to see if its a deal or not for you.Its like the free food think do the math to see if its a deal or not.

kapeman

Our drive is 8 hours with an hour for various stops. We usually get up early and drive through.
9 hours sounds a lot worse than it really is.

The AP is the way to go!

Does anyone know how long you can keep an AP voucher before you have to activate it?

Thanks.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We have a 7-hr drive to get to WDW... if it was less... say 5 or less, we might be tempted to get an annual pass.

Any of you have annual passes with really bad travel to Orlando area?

Or are annual passes being used mostly by locals?

:wave: I live in South Dakota and have an annual pass. Thanks to a great job with great overtime and PTO I just took my 4th trip to WDW since I got my pass on 12/1/08

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Our drive is 8 hours with an hour for various stops. We usually get up early and drive through.
9 hours sounds a lot worse than it really is.

The AP is the way to go!

Does anyone know how long you can keep an AP voucher before you have to activate it?

Thanks.
The vouchers never expire.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom