Furthest driving distance and annual pass

Batphobic

Original Poster
We have a 7-hr drive to get to WDW... if it was less... say 5 or less, we might be tempted to get an annual pass.

Any of you have annual passes with really bad travel to Orlando area?

Or are annual passes being used mostly by locals?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It takes two days' driving each way for me to get to WDW. I usually fly.

The value of an AP has little to do with how far you travel. It's more how often you go, for how long and what discounts you can get with it.

For example: I went for a quick weekend trip in February, knowing I'd be back in August for a week. I go an AP. The August trip I used a 40%-off PIN Disney sent me and stayed at Beach Club in a water view room. The discount savings more than paid for my AP and all our food during our week there.

And I have an AP sitting on my desk tempting me to go back again... :lookaroun

bladerunner

I used to live in Miami and had PAP for 5 years straight. I would go to the parks about 8 to 12 times per year. Now I am in Atlanta and will be getting the SAP and likely go about 4 times per year.

the-reason14

We're about 20 hours or so drive away from WDW and we were AP holders for years. We only flew like twice, but we had em and went about 3 or 4 times a year.

mousefan1972

We live in Massachusetts and have AP's. We are about a 2.5 hour plane ride from Orlando.

I would never drive. That is why planes were invented. :lol:

Batphobic

Original Poster
We're about 20 hours or so drive away from WDW and we were AP holders for years. We only flew like twice, but we had em and went about 3 or 4 times a year.

wow - You're the REAL fan. :)

Maybe 7 hrs isn't so bad after all to plan a handful of trips to merit the AP

mwbrown

I live in Canada and have an annual pass. Our drive (which we have done twice) is about 22 hours. Neeedless to say we usually fly.

We will have used our annual passes 4 times before they expire. Since we are DVC, AP is about the cost of two sets of 10-day passes, so you get the park hopping and hotel/shopping discounts for free. We are staying at All-Stars in Dec for $59 a night on AP discounts, and then using some DVC points for the Beach Club.

If you are going to go more than twice in a calendar year, AP is probably a deal. If not, just get regular passes...

Uponastar

We live in Philadelphia. 15-18 hours of driving time, depending on how much of a hurry my husband is in. :lookaroun We have APs and go to WDW often, sometimes 3 to 4 times a year. We budget and plan and come up with the cheapest trips possible. We have to, or we couldn't afford to go so often.
Our next trip is over Christmas this year, and we're driving this time, but we fly more often than we drive.

WDW_Emily

We live in Massachusetts and have AP's. We are about a 2.5 hour plane ride from Orlando.

I would never drive. That is why planes were invented. :lol:

I am from massachusetts and have annual passes.

Also from Mass and we aren't pass holders but we were thinking about it how often/ how long do you go?

Also lets say I get an AP in April 2010 if I want to go in March 2011 could I will that same pass? or do you buy a new one in January?

Phonedave

Northern NJ

I took a bus to FL (Datoyna Beach) once, in college, 24 hours.

Yeah, planes are the way to go.

My kids and I all have AP's for about the last 5 years. Theirs were up on Sep 1 of this year, and I did not renew. Now that my oldest is an adult in the eyes of WDW, it is costing more.

Mine comes up in Feb. Most likely I will renew.

-dave

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Also from Mass and we aren't pass holders but we were thinking about it how often/ how long do you go?

Also lets say I get an AP in April 2010 if I want to go in March 2011 could I will that same pass? or do you buy a new one in January?
An AP is good for 366 days from the day you buy it [or the day you exchange a certificate for it]. So if you got it in April, you'd be able to use it the following March.

For price value, a three-day hopper [an AP has the same park access as a hopper, you can go to multiple parks on the same day] ticket costs $288.62. An AP costs $520.79. Two trips of three or more days and it pays to get an AP. If you never park hop, it basically takes three trips under 7 days before an AP is worth it or two 7+ day trips. The calculation doesn't factor in AP discounts at WoD or dining and also ignores possible AP discounts on resort stays.

star77kc

I only have 2 hours to drive here!! I bought my seasonal AP a couple of months ago and have already been 3 times. Im going my 4th time this upcoming Monday! I LOVE IT!:sohappy:

mousefan1972

We go 2-4 times/year. We are lucky in that we live in northern Mass, and are about a 45 minute drive to either Logan or Manchester. So we can fly Jetblue or Southwest, and between the 2, can always get a pretty cheap fare. (Except April vacation week... OUCH!)

Admission is a costly portion of a MYW package, so once you have that covered, your main cost is your lodging. I've seen passholder rates as cheap as $49/night at the values, so a trip can definitely be done on the cheap if needed.

As Monty said your AP is good for 366 days from the date you activate it at WDW. We love our AP's, and hopefully will renew them when they expire next Spring. Good luck w/whatever you decide! :wave:

amaley01

Hello fellow Canadians :wave:
My DH loves to drive down so it takes apprx. 22 hrs with good road conditions and low traffic.
In the long run for our family it's cheaper than flying.
70 days till we check-in

scout68

1217 miles from door to door and we drive at least two times a year so the ap is good for us. The DVC discount on the ap renewal rate is even better! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom