Funniest Disney Rumors You've Heard

R. Mexico

I'm sure this will get some disagreement here but as time passes and there are no new Potter books or movies (but I'll bet the farm that JK writes one- at least) the pull of this land will diminish as it loses a LOT of it's audience. Not all, but a lot.
I am not trying to be negative at all, but that logic seems flawed.

lazyboy97o

I'm sure this will get some disagreement here but as time passes and there are no new Potter books or movies (but I'll bet the farm that JK writes one- at least) the pull of this land will diminish as it loses a LOT of it's audience. Not all, but a lot.
New films set in the Harry Potter universe have already been announced. Even then, the newest property in New Fantasyland is Beauty and the Beast, which will be celebrating the 25th anniversary of it's theatrical release later this year.

Brad Bishop

Not sure if you were stating that as your educated guess or a rumor.

I disagree with it, though. Potter is a good series of stories and movies and I expect it to have a lasting appeal for generations to come.

Matt_Black

I disagree with it, though. Potter is a good series of stories and movies and I expect it to have a lasting appeal for generations to come.

Perhaps, but if and when Disney pulls the trigger on a Star Wars Land, depending on the execution, I think that would be game over because while Potter is popular now, Star Wars has four decades worth of cultural saturation.

216bruce

Perhaps, but if and when Disney pulls the trigger on a Star Wars Land, depending on the execution, I think that would be game over because while Potter is popular now, Star Wars has four decades worth of cultural saturation.
I agree. The Star Wars universe is pretty vast and has, like you stated, 40 years of a fan base already. Potter? It's really up to JK Rowling. If she truly holds her ground and Harry and the Hogwarts gang are 'done', then so is that universe. It's sort of like LOTR and Tolkien. That could have been an amazing and even more immersive environment than HP....right up there with Star Wars had the professor's literary executors allowed for sequels, spin-offs, etc. Imagine what could have been built and experienced for theme parks!
But, back to Potterdom. I can't argue that what exists is wonderful and it will always have fans. It will undoubtedly also get a good deal of new ones, but without new stories and especially movies there's only so much you can do. My gut feeling is that since 'money talks', eventually she'll write new books and there will be new stories, characters etc. to use.
Still wishing for a Middle Earth though...

216bruce

OH, agreed. I just believe that without 'new' it can only go so far in it's appeal. Remember that audiences will find their own "Harry Potter" in the future, which will take the place of what has been created in the past. Now, if she allows for new or creates it for herself (and if it's good and still 'connects' with folks), then it'll have a much, much more lasting appeal.

216bruce

I am not trying to be negative at all, but that logic seems flawed.
OK, I'll try and restate in a clearer fashion. If no new Potter movies are made based on new Potter books, the Potter franchise will have less of a draw. Reason- limited story, world and characters. Right now you have one story spread out over the years Harry was at Hogwarts. If you get into backstory of Dumbledore, Harry's parents, Hagrid or more into ancillary characters- other professors at Hogwarts, Voldemort, etc. with new stories and movies, then you have an expanded potential for more attractions and lands. Sort of like what is supposed to happen with Star Wars and stand-alone films based on characters like Boba Fett, Han Solo, etc. There's a ton of Star Wars novels already written that greatly expand the universe, let alone a new trilogy, the last trilogy (meh) and the new films-to-be. The stories behind the lands and attractions have to come from somewhere, and that 'somewhere' is, as currently structured, JK Rowling's pen alone.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not a hater of Potter. But what's there right now is limited in comparison to Star Wars.

216bruce

For what it's worth, I agree with you. The closer JK continues to hold Potter to her breast, only allowing small snippets on Pottermore here and there, the less lasting potential there is. Eventually, the Potter Fans won't have time for the small snippets and the here and theres because life will be too busy.

There is the fact that the Potter Generation is having kids now though.
In some ways, she's this generation's Tolkien for both good and bad. It'd be great for her to continue the story and expand the universe of HP. My kids love Harry Potter as does my son-in-law. Their passion for it rivals mine for Tolkien and Middle Earth. Hopefully she'll do more so they aren't limited with what us Tolkien fans have. By that I mean the knowledge that the story is over and finished. I don't know if down the road that Tolkien's literary executors will EVER allow for new and authorized expansion of the stories he told. I hope she either creates new or authorizes someone else in the future to do so.

GrammieBee

We're fans of Star Trek, Star Wars (the original trilogy) and Harry Potter. They all have proven or will prove to have staying power. However, my heart will always belong in Middle Earth. Even without expanded exposure, except for the more currnt Hobbit movies, "The Lord of the Rings" has never lost it's appeal and remains probably the best fantasy story ever written or filmed.

Matt_Black

In some ways, she's this generation's Tolkien for both good and bad. It'd be great for her to continue the story and expand the universe of HP. My kids love Harry Potter as does my son-in-law. Their passion for it rivals mine for Tolkien and Middle Earth. Hopefully she'll do more so they aren't limited with what us Tolkien fans have. By that I mean the knowledge that the story is over and finished. I don't know if down the road that Tolkien's literary executors will EVER allow for new and authorized expansion of the stories he told. I hope she either creates new or authorizes someone else in the future to do so.

Wasn't she working on that spin-off set in 30s New York? I don't care about Potter, but monster-hunting in a Noir-inspired Big Apple sounds like pure win and would kick butt in a theme park.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
That EPCOT was to be a domed city is a pretty silly story that gets repeated a lot.
Umm, that one is true. If you watch the original EPCOT reveal with Walt Disney, it was mentioned that a good part of EPCOT would be domed. Check youtube for it.

lazyboy97o

I agree. The Star Wars universe is pretty vast and has, like you stated, 40 years of a fan base already. Potter? It's really up to JK Rowling. If she truly holds her ground and Harry and the Hogwarts gang are 'done', then so is that universe. It's sort of like LOTR and Tolkien. That could have been an amazing and even more immersive environment than HP....right up there with Star Wars had the professor's literary executors allowed for sequels, spin-offs, etc. Imagine what could have been built and experienced for theme parks!
But, back to Potterdom. I can't argue that what exists is wonderful and it will always have fans. It will undoubtedly also get a good deal of new ones, but without new stories and especially movies there's only so much you can do. My gut feeling is that since 'money talks', eventually she'll write new books and there will be new stories, characters etc. to use.
Still wishing for a Middle Earth though...
New films have already been announced.

Umm, that one is true. If you watch the original EPCOT reveal with Walt Disney, it was mentioned that a good part of EPCOT would be domed. Check youtube for it.
There is nothing about a dome. It mentions the inner core, not the whole city, being inside. EPCOT's city center was going to be a large indoor mall. Rochester, NY essentially had a prototype for the plan at its Midtown Plaza mall.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
There is nothing about a dome. It mentions the inner core, not the whole city, being inside. EPCOT's city center was going to be a large indoor mall. Rochester, NY essentially had a prototype for the plan at its Midtown Plaza mall.
OK, I'll try again. Here it is - -

start at the 15:30 mark, and look at the picture of a dome a bit later. They may not say the word dome, but they do say enclosed, and then show a picture of a dome. It is heavily implied.

lazyboy97o

OK, I'll try again. Here it is - -

start at the 15:30 mark, and look at the picture of a dome a bit later. They may not say the word dome, but they do say enclosed, and then show a picture of a dome. It is heavily implied.

I've seen the video. Section drawings exist that show these enclosed streets. There is also a whole book on the concept, The Heart of Our Cities by Victor Gruen.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I've seen the video. Section drawings exist that show these enclosed streets. There is also a whole book on the concept, The Heart of Our Cities by Victor Gruen.
So you disagree with the official Disney video that says the area will be enclosed, and then show a dome in the picture right after that?

AndyS2992

So you disagree with the official Disney video that says the area will be enclosed, and then show a dome in the picture right after that?
The domes are actually just skylights on the roof of the enclosed building as seen at 15:36.
Think of it as nothing more than a huge shopping mall with monorails running through it.
But yes it is an enclosed space, just not under a huge dome.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The domes are actually just skylights on the roof of the enclosed building as seen at 15:36.
Think of it as nothing more than a huge shopping mall with monorails running through it.
But yes it is an enclosed space, just not under a huge dome.
Again, I have to disagree. Here is a picture from the video:
EPCOT Dome.jpg

Please tell me that this looks like skylights, because I don't see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom