Fuel Shortage

Phigment

Hello Everyone,

I am a longtime reader...first time "post-er".

My wife and I are headed to WDW this weekend. I am wondering how a gas shortage will affect resort transportation and park operation.

Also, I am worried that we will have plenty of gas to get there...but will not have enough to get back home (darn!). We were there during Charlie last year and it was a little nuts at the Care Care Center.

I know, I know...not a big deal when compared to the devastation of Kristina, but it's still a concern.

Disneyland1970

disney180206 said:
I have read this thread with great interest....Here in the UK, average prices are around 95p per litre. This is approximately £3.90 per GALLON !!! Which, at todays exchange rates, equals $7.00 ( And the closer to London you go, the more expensive it becomes). It's been many years since we paid the equivalent of $3 for a Gallon of fuel........ Boy do i wish we had to pay that now :)

You wish you had cheap fuel, I wish the US had the transportation systems of Europe! I would leave my car at home happily! I also think you guys have a higher standard of living than us. Look how low the dollar has been lately. European workers know how to support each other when it comes to pay and benefits! I applaud you!!! We Americans are all too afraid of losing our 60 hour a week jobs to support a fellow worker.

Upvote 0

Jekyll Baker

Here in Georgia, on Sept 2, our governor has temporarily suspended the state gas tax for the month of September. On Sept 1, most stations at my nearby interstate exit had prices $3.09-$3.19. Currently most of them are now $2.81-$2.94. (On Aug 29/30, the prices at the same stations were $2.17-$2.66.).

Upvote 0

swimmom

Jekyll Baker said:
Here in Georgia, on Sept 2, our governor has temporarily suspended the state gas tax for the month of September. On Sept 1, most stations at my nearby interstate exit had prices $3.09-$3.19. Currently most of them are now $2.81-$2.94. (On Aug 29/30, the prices at the same stations were $2.17-$2.66.).
I've been waiting for that here in Illinois. With the amount of tax they are currently collecting, I would think that our road may soon be paved with gold?

Upvote 0

wdwjmp239

Moonshadow1 said:
I agree to the stop with the rumors. But in our case it was actually the media circulating the rumors. The radio stations had reports every 15 minutes about who did and didn't have gas. By time I left the restaurant last night only three stations in the Naples/ Ft. myers area suposedly had gas left. But on my drive home every station I passed, which is six of them all had gas. I wish the media would be held accountable for creating such a panic.

And there you have it - the local media is spreading the news. That's the problem with the local news. It's all left-wing media sensationalism. It's all about the ratings. It's all about getting the people worked up in a frenzy. The local news in the Naples/Fort Myers area, as far as I'm concerned, I dismiss it. It's all a bunch of crap! If you want news - the REAL news - watch MSNBC or FOXNews.

I totally dismissed all the statements from ABC-7 last summer when Charley was flirting with the area. I'm a hobbyist hurricane tracker and I love tracking them and even predicting where they're going. I had Charley landing in Punta Gorda while they were saying Charley was headed for Tampa. Unfortunately, that's what happened. That's how the weather played out. The jet stream was *NOT* in their favor last year. Well, the "flame wars" between me and Jim Reif at ABC-7 and Jim Farrell on WINK-TV with his "cone of uncertainty" was all a bunch of junk, too. I kept e-mailing him the current National Hurricane Center cones compared to his cones which *ALWAYS* had SW Florida dead center.

But, I'm ranting..... stop watching the local news. It's a rumor generator. I feel better.

On a different note - I saw Cirque Du Soleil "La Nouba" tonight - Go see it! It's a wonderful show! :)

Upvote 0

wdwjmp239

PigletIsMyCat said:
....And the shortages are driven by panic. If everyone wasn't going out and topping off the tank they filled up four days ago and is still three-quarters full, then we wouldn't be running out of gas. No shortages up here in NY. But $4 a gallon isn't bull - it's truth. $3.59 for regular, $3.89 for premuim is the worst I've seen on Long Island.

I was on Long Island visiting family and friends (I'm originally from Holtsville, NY) from July 3rd to July 10th. I did find a gas station, during that time, out in Center Moriches charging something outrageous like $4.15/gallon for gas. When I stopped in to get a bottle of soda, I questioned the guy working the register and he said, "That's how much gas is going for." Well, the price of gas back then was about $2.35/gallon. $4.15/gallon was a little extreme. The Amoco station on North Ocean Avenue in Holtsville (corner of Long Island Avenue and North Ocean) was charging $2.33/gallon.

But, that was then.... just thought I'd share that. I guess it'd be more appropriate for him to charge $4.15/gallon now. ;)

Upvote 0

Phigment

Original Poster
Not a problem...

Well, we went...had a great time...stayed at Riverside. Crowds were manageable...although the EPCOT kennel was nuts.

Got gas last night across from the Studios. There was no line and plenty of fuel.

Drove home this morning while listening to music from the parks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom