Ft. Wilderness Cabins

buseegal

part of our group stayed in a cabin. bedroom has double bed and a set of bunks. one drawback only has one bathroom. you do have a full kitchen if you plan to cook. we found that a golf cart is needed. without cart you need to take a bus to gedt another bus or ferryboat to the parks. then the same on way back,esp on way back at night could be a wait. from ferryboat is a good walk to bus area, if using stroller will need to take child out for boat ride then back in to get to bus, then out again and fold up stroller for bus ride. many nights daughter had the boys ready or almost ready by time i got back to site because of my scooter i had to ride bus and they used golf cart. our group liked having livingroom to watch tv while young one napped in bedroom. any other questions?

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We stayed there two years ago, and truly loved it. We were in the 2500 loop, so the pool and laundry were a very short walk away. We used our own car to get around to the parks, so we didn't have any issues with busses. But I will agree that a cart was a huge benefit. Although it was a nice walk to the front gate area (for my daughter to take a horse ride), the rest of the resort is well spread out. :wave:

Upvote 0

corey154

We love the cabins! There's a nice little deck area and the cabins are so cozy. We stayed in the winter and thought it was fun having our own little cabin. (Big full fridge was wonderful! We stocked up on drinks from the grocery store outside of Disney property)

The only downside to the cabins is how expensive the golf carts are to rent. You don't have to have one, like others said, you can take the internal bus, but the golf carts make it much easier to get around the resort. (And it's more fun, we just rode around the resort one night looking at everyone's Christmas decorations!)

Are you driving to the resort? If you are, then it's great b/c you park your car at your cabin to unload your stuff, your car is parked right there at the cabin, and you can drive off property to grocery store.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

We stayed here once and really enjoyed how quiet it is. We didn't have a car this time and didn't feel we really needed to spend all that money on a golf cart. The buses were really efficient in getting us around and taking the boat to MK was a lot of fun. We were on the first loop of cabins closest to the front check in and walked several times to the front bus stops. The smores with Chip and Dale were fun(we brought our own stuff) and so was canoeing. The cabin was very spacious, although there is only 1 bathroom but it is large.

Upvote 0

plutospal

Original Poster
Thank you all for the info! We will be renting a car, so that will be nice to have the car so close to the cabin. We attended Hoop-de-doo dinner last year around Christmas and walked around looking at lights. I think it will be fun to stay in the cabins where it is quiet and cozy! :)

Upvote 0

fmingo36

We stayed there for a week in October. We had our own car which definitely made a difference.
Pros: LOVED having a kitchen. We made breakfast every day. One night we BBQed and ate out on the deck.
Enjoyed having a seperate bedroom-my kids are horrible about going to sleep in hotel rooms so this was such a nice change.
Campfire/Movie with Chip and Dale (what a great thing to do and cost NOTHING)

Cons: Did not feel like we were at Disney-no interaction with cast members other than check-in.
VERY little storage space for clothes.
Golf car prices are ridiculous!-and it's hard to get around the campground without one.

I don't think I'd stay here again. I think if I wanted someplace with a kitchen and more space I would look off-property since I really didn't feel like I was at a Disney resort. For the price I can get so much more for the $$$

Upvote 0

flavious27

Has anyone stayed at the cabins? If so, would you recommend staying there? :)

I have stayed in the 900 loop before when my friend's parents were staying at fw with their motorhome. FW seems larger than it really is, from the bottom most loop to settlement, it just under a mile and half away. There is a pool in the cabins area and at the most it is a 5 minute walk from any cabin to a bus stop.

The buses run almost all night long and are on a very frequent loop so you won't be waiting long for one to come along. I don't really know if a golf cart will need be needed to get around the resort because everything is fairly close and you will pass a couple of bus stops along the way, you are going to have more of a distance to walk in the parks.

Upvote 0

dramamama

We have camped there and stayed in a cabin. We had planned to camp in FW next week, but alas, the camper became a feast for rodents and had to be "put down". :cry: Oh, well, we will just have to stay at POR this time. We have plans to stay in a cabin for Thanksgiving.

For us, the cabins are worth it when the grandparents are with us. We love the atmosphere and privacy. Having a kitchen is great, even if you just fill it with snacks and sodas. It feels more like staying at a friend's house than a hotel. Unless someone in your party has trouble walking then I don't see where a golf cart is a must. We have never used one, even when I was pregnant. Sure, my feet hurt after a long day in the park, but you have to walk from the bus to your room at any resort. My DH and I especially love the walk from the launch to the bus at night - it is so pretty and romantic in FW at night. They keep the buses coming pretty quickly. You have a few more bus stops/switches to get to the parks, but we just enjoy letting someone else drive.

Upvote 0

NMBC1993

I actually just got back from my 3 day trip at the cabins last week. I loved everything about it! It had plenty of room for my three friends and I and the kitchen was a great addition as we had a lot of food ideas we wanted to try while we were there. The only downside as others have mentioned was getting around, if you don't have a golf cart you'll find yourself waiting anywhere between 5-15 minutes for a bus. Other then that and Disney Channel changing the premier date for the new season of Phineas and Ferb from Friday to Saturday at the last minute:cry:, we had a great time:sohappy:

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Another question...

What size is the Murphy Bed? To me, from the pictures, it looks like a full. Can anyone substantiate that rumor?

I think that's right from what I can remember (we stayed there three years ago). I ended up sleeping on it the entire trip, and it was fine for a guy my size (6'3", 275).........

Upvote 0

smk

Another question...

What size is the Murphy Bed? To me, from the pictures, it looks like a full. Can anyone substantiate that rumor?
It's a full size bed.

We have a trip planned for September and we are staying in FW! We love the cabins, they are a great size and the campground is so quiet and clean. We are renting a golf cart, we love driving around in the evening and love to be able to hop in and go to Trails End or the Outposts. I can't wait!

Upvote 0

buseegal

you can do without golf cart but each night it took me from 20 to 30 minutes longer on bus with my scooter than daughter and grandsons on golf cart to site. plus the walk from ferry boat to bus stop was long the one night it was raining on returning from MK. would not want to be carrying a sleeping toddler on that walk either. on an EMH night had a 20 minute wait as the bus pulled out just as i was getting there. not many buses, only 2 buses on all routes, just using 2 of routes.

Upvote 0

mickey's mamu

Buseegal, can you tell me if there is an electrical plug on the outside of the cabin close to the car park area? I notice you said you had a scooter and so do I. I carry mine on a small trailer on the back of my car and it would be
really convenient if I could plug the scooter in for charging without removing it from the trailer. How did you handle charging your scooter? Were you in a handicap cabin with a ramp so you could take the scooter in the cabin?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me. We really want to stay
in Ft. Wilderness, but I'm not really sure how well it would work with my scooter.

Upvote 0

smk

Buseegal, can you tell me if there is an electrical plug on the outside of the cabin close to the car park area? I notice you said you had a scooter and so do I. I carry mine on a small trailer on the back of my car and it would be
really convenient if I could plug the scooter in for charging without removing it from the trailer. How did you handle charging your scooter? Were you in a handicap cabin with a ramp so you could take the scooter in the cabin?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me. We really want to stay
in Ft. Wilderness, but I'm not really sure how well it would work with my scooter.
There is a "plug" outside (in the car park area) for the golf carts, not sure if it is the same kind used for a scooter tho. I am sure there are handicap equipted cabins tho.

Upvote 0

mickey's mamu

Thank You so much for your quick reply SMK! That is great to hear. If it is a regular 110 outlet, it will work just fine. If it is used for charging the golf carts I'm sure it is 110, which is the same thing a regular household outlet is.

Upvote 0

buseegal

there are handicap cabins and i did plug my scooter at the cabin once. scooter plugs in just like golf cart. i was at the RV site most of time but was with other members of our group at cabin.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom