FT Opportunities with Degree

MB86

Original Poster
Hello everyone, new (obviously) to the forums and wondering if any of you have any insight into the world of FT employment with WDW.

I'm currently a college senior (graduating in December 08) at the Univ. of South Carolina and I am going to try my hand in the amusement industry.

I am currently a Security Supervisor at Carowinds (a Cedar Fair park) in Charlotte, NC and I have worked there for the past 4 years. I've become interested in the Operations area of the industry and with graduation approaching I am looking to branch out and see what opportunities potentially await.

Obviously, when thinking of the amusement industry WDW is the first thing to come to mind. That led me here.

I'm pretty much starting with a clean slate. I really have no prior knowledge of Disney or their park Operations in any way, shape, or form. So, anyone with any sort of information regarding the Operations departments and their employment opportunities right out of school with a 4 year degree (or lack thereof...) would be of great use to me. I would appreciate any information you guys might be able to provide, however insignificant you might think it is.

Thanks!!

csaribay

You haven't mentioned what your major is, but I would encourage you to take a look at the Disney Professional Internship Program, which includes management internships in operations and other areas. As you'll be graduating in December, the timing could be pretty opportune for you - many of the positions available start in January, and they run for about half a year. Depending on your performance and your area's needs, you may be able to extend, and quite possibly may be able to turn your internship into a full-time ongoing roll at Disney.

Check out the official website at disneyinterns.com for more information. Postings for positions starting in the spring of 2009 will be up around September. To check for specific positions, head on over to disneycareers.com and preform a search there (select "associates/internships" under the job category).

MB86

Original Poster
You haven't mentioned what your major is, but I would encourage you to take a look at the Disney Professional Internship Program, which includes management internships in operations and other areas. As you'll be graduating in December, the timing could be pretty opportune for you - many of the positions available start in January, and they run for about half a year. Depending on your performance and your area's needs, you may be able to extend, and quite possibly may be able to turn your internship into a full-time ongoing roll at Disney.

Check out the official website at disneyinterns.com for more information. Postings for positions starting in the spring of 2009 will be up around September. To check for specific positions, head on over to disneycareers.com and preform a search there (select "associates/internships" under the job category).

My major is actually Sociology, minor is Criminal Justice. I realize they're not the most applicable specializations I could have gone for but I didn't really decide on this particular industry all that long ago.

I have thought about the intern program but I've heard the pay isn't great. I will have bills to pay within 6 months of graduation so if the pay doesn't cut it, unfortunately I don't think that would be an option.

Thanks for the info...

csaribay

My major is actually Sociology, minor is Criminal Justice. I realize they're not the most applicable specializations I could have gone for but I didn't really decide on this particular industry all that long ago.

I have thought about the intern program but I've heard the pay isn't great. I will have bills to pay within 6 months of graduation so if the pay doesn't cut it, unfortunately I don't think that would be an option.

Thanks for the info...

Sure, but don't confuse this with the College Program. The roles I'm speaking about, specifically the management internships, are salaried roles that I believe average out to about $14 an hour. That's not a grand amount I admit, but if you're looking for a professional role right out of school at Disney, your options are more limited, especially with given the current economy. You can search for current requisitions at disneycareers.com to get an idea of what's currently available (and will be in the near future) for non-internal candidates.

If compensation is a top motivator, you'll find that most roles at Disney Parks and Resorts may not deliver what you're out for. There's a large pool of talent who are willing take a pay rate that is sometimes comparatively lower, and as such, the jobs are priced to the market.

MB86

Original Poster
Sure, but don't confuse this with the College Program. The roles I'm speaking about, specifically the management internships, are salaried roles that I believe average out to about $14 an hour. That's not a grand amount I admit, but if you're looking for a professional role right out of school at Disney, your options are more limited, especially with given the current economy. You can search for current requisitions at disneycareers.com to get an idea of what's currently available (and will be in the near future) for non-internal candidates.

If compensation is a top motivator, you'll find that most roles at Disney Parks and Resorts may not deliver what you're out for. There's a large pool of talent who are willing take a pay rate that is sometimes comparatively lower, and as such, the jobs are priced to the market.

OK, I think I have my Disney career program terms mixed up. So the College Program and Professional program are two different things? If I understand you correctly then the Professional program sounds more like what I'm looking for.

And I'm well aware of the compensation situation. Having worked at an amusement park for the past 4 years I know full well that it's not a job for anyone looking to get rich.

Thanks again.

csaribay

OK, I think I have my Disney career program terms mixed up. So the College Program and Professional program are two different things? If I understand you correctly then the Professional program sounds more like what I'm looking for.

And I'm well aware of the compensation situation. Having worked at an amusement park for the past 4 years I know full well that it's not a job for anyone looking to get rich.

Thanks again.

Yeah, that understanding is correct.

The Disney College Program is an front line living, learning and earning experience. It's a good way to gain some work experience with a large company, and it packages all elements of coming down and working for Disney quite nicely. Since these are normally front line hourly roles, and there is some consideration on the part of Disney for housing and other elements of the program, the pay-rates are low (floating narrowly above minimum wage).

Meanwhile Disney Professional Internships are just that- catered to the specific interests of candidates, with larger areas of responsibility. Pay rates are variable depending on the role, but they are considerably better than those offered by the College Program. A subset of the Professional Internship Program is Management Internships, which are temporary-salaried roles that have you directly leading an area of the operation. Both of these could lead to permanent employment with Disney after the internship has concluded (not guaranteed, but it does happen, I've seen people stay on board in the areas they interned at). Due to the limited nature of these internships, they are much more competitive than the College Program.

Given your situation, I do feel that that the Professional Intern Program is a good fit for you. Of course, I do encourage you to keep an eye on the requisitions posted at disneycareers.com, but this could be a great option as well.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Aim for the professional internships, and opt out of entry-level hourly jobs. Some people say it's good just to get in the door, and while there is some truth to that, I know of Yale, Cornell, UPenn, Harvard, and UCLA alum who have been stuck for years earning hourly wages at WDW because they wanted to "get in the door."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom