FT Employment Question

marcongj

Original Poster
Hi All,

I am new to the boards, and I have been searching the internet to at least get me pointed in the right direction. I am looking to start something new in my life and start a new career. I am looking at applying for a job at Disney doing some sort of event planning/anything to get my foot in the door.

Currently I work for a minor league baseball team, and I understand the value of treating customers with respect, and that they come first. Also, I have learned about long hours and not getting paid much to do it. I figured all of my skills that I have learned working at a baseball team will transfer over to Disney nicely.

My question was does anyone know how to get my foot in the door at Disney for a career like this. I have tried messaging people on LinkedIn and I figured the Disney career website is like most jobs were they have thousands of applicants and I have a better shot of winning the lottery. Any help would be great!

If you find out, let me know. I have been applying for almost two years and I can't even get an interview. (BTW - I have been in my current job for almost six years, have great credit, and wonderful references. In other words, my qualifications don't seem to be the issue.)

^^^ More now then ever.

When my GF at the time(11 years ago now) went to WDW for the first time together, we loved it down in Florida and thought it would be great to work down there and live in florida.

Well we went down to the hiring center the day we asked a cast ember how to apply for a job, and got interviewed right on the spot.

So even more now then ever its WHO you know. I do "talk" to someone in the school program i can ask her, hopefully i wont forget

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If you find out, let me know. I have been applying for almost two years and I can't even get an interview. (BTW - I have been in my current job for almost six years, have great credit, and wonderful references. In other words, my qualifications don't seem to be the issue.)

You're overqualified :drevil:

Mulan

Just from experience, I don't think you can just normally "walk" in and get a high paying career. It seems like most of my Leaders have been working for the company for YEARS, and some started as college program CPs and professional interns. So I'd recommend biting the bullet and taking a job, working your butt off for six months, and then transfer to something that is more in your career path.

But also, I've heard that Disney may take age into account. (This is from someone else's personal experience.)

marcongj

Original Poster
Mulan do you think just going down there and interviewing at the CM headquarters is the best or continue to apply online?

Mulan

Mulan do you think just going down there and interviewing at the CM headquarters is the best or continue to apply online?

I'm 99% sure there's a limit on applying online. You can apply once every six months. I'd give it a shot there. Basically you submit your application, then if selected, you have to do a personality survey (I suppose you can call it that). Finally, if you're approved, then you have an interview.

:)

It depends on what you think. Either way, you'll be spending the money to get to Orlando.

cm1988

The way in

The way in is through the Casting Center, as an hourly, part-time or temporary employee earning less than a living wage.

Some of those hourly employees are College Program cast; they have the first shot at moving up.

After about a year at part-time, you are likely to be full time; still less than 40 hours per week. This still is not a living wage.

In a number of years (it took me seven, with a Master's degree) you may find your way into a salaried opportunity. At that point, you are making a living wage comparable to what people earn in other companies. Along the way, you may be classified "Office and Technical" which, with overtime, isn't bad pay either.

The other way in is knowing a hiring manager. They have a lot of acquaintances and not as many friends. That is an extreme long shot.

If you are just possessed with the idea of working at Disney, make a budget, lower your ambitions to entry level, and head for the Casting Center. Otherwise, enjoy your vacations!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If you are just possessed with the idea of working at Disney, make a budget, lower your ambitions to entry level, and head for the Casting Center.

And stick to that budget! The number of entry-level CM's I know who are deep in debt because they couldn't stick to it is staggering.

mom21boy

I am also interested in process. My husband had phone interview today for an audio/stage tech job at disney. He has a 2nd interview next week. He is on cruise ship till Aug, so that's the 1st time he could do face to face interview. Is getting a 2nd phone interview a great thing, will having to hold off for face to face be a problem?
Any advice, info would be great!
Thanks

Pioneer Hall

I am also interested in process. My husband had phone interview today for an audio/stage tech job at disney. He has a 2nd interview next week. He is on cruise ship till Aug, so that's the 1st time he could do face to face interview. Is getting a 2nd phone interview a great thing, will having to hold off for face to face be a problem?
Thanks

Can't speak first hand, but if they knew his situation going into the first interview and were still interested it sounds like they are willing to wait to speak to him face to face.

CaptainShortty

I'm 99% sure there's a limit on applying online. You can apply once every six months. I'd give it a shot there. Basically you submit your application, then if selected, you have to do a personality survey (I suppose you can call it that). Finally, if you're approved, then you have an interview.

:)

It depends on what you think. Either way, you'll be spending the money to get to Orlando.

You're right. You can only take the online interview once every six months. As far as getting into the event planning side of Disney let me first tell you that aside from WDI or Team Disney it's one of the hardest areas to get into (as I'm trying to do it myself). Many start as college program students and go on to do the professional internship in events and move from there. Disney hires 80% of their management internally so you pretty much have to start at the bottom.

As some people have said it's all about who you know sometimes. In a pool of thousands and thousands of applicants having a face attached to a resume makes all the difference. I'm currently working with one of the Disney recruiters (because I'm a Disney College Program Campus Representative) to prep my resume to send it into them this coming year.

My advice, get an hourly job with them in something like concierge, guest relations (if you can get it...another very competitive one) or full service F&B. Then start talking to people. You could catch that lucky break really fast or it could take years for you to wind up there (if ever).

Sorry to be such a downer on that one. Good Luck with it! Someone has to work there so it could be you. :)

CaptainShortty

Thanks

I can't see it being to much of a problem but it may depend on when they need him to start. So just ask. If they say it's not a problem, believe them but if they say it is, believe that too. There are a thousand people waiting to take his spot so it would be terrible to pass it up if he was so close.

That being said getting a second interview is really great!! He's already gotten passed a lot of people in the interview process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom