Frozen Show Down

Emmanuel

The calendar on the Disneyland US website now has Frozen on the schedule. Looks like the reason why it was missing was because the showtimes are changing again. The show goes back to 3 showings a day on April 9th.

Jaison

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. I was able to see the Frozen show on my trip, which was great! I still think the Aladdin show was better, even if I only got to experience it through youtube. I got the feeling that the Duke of Weselton character was supposed to be funnier than he was, but was definitely no replacement for the Genie. I thought the OLAF actor was phenomenal however!

Some other highlights / observations from my trip in which I attended SFMM, USH, and DLR:

- Six Flags truly does feel dirtier than USH or DLR. I think the fact it was spring break exacerbated this issue as I saw teens drop trash on the ground mere steps from a garbage can multiple times (Just Awful). Some areas were a lot nicer, such as the DC area around the new shooter ride, as well as the area around Twisted Colossus and scream.
- The coasters themselves seemed to be in horrible shape. Except for a couple of them most were in dire need of paint. The restraints were mostly chewed up and quite worn. I witnessed 2 protein spills that day which i''m sure doesn't help either. X2 which has been my favorite coaster since experiencing it back when it was simply X had any of the added effects (music, fire, etc.) broken. Although I did get a ride in front row which was great!
- Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus were amazing! I was sad the green lantern ride was down (Apparently it was giving people back issues).
- The largest complaint I had from SFMM was the ride operations. I get that lines happen, especially during the busy spring break season. However, it was super infuriating waiting in a line for 60 minutes and getting to the front only to witness the slothlike loading crews and trains leaving with empty seats .... As well X2 was my first stop of the day and we were on the second train in line, however it took them 45 minutes to get that train out of the station (Why was the morning testing not done before guests arrived???) Just awful show.
- Line cutting was another big issue only experienced at SFMM, on the drop ride we had a party of 2 in front of us and by the time we got to the front it was 19 people :eek:. Only a few times at USH or DLR did someone with a child come back in line ahead of us (which i assume was for a bathroom emergency).
- USH was great and the wizarding world was exactly as it is in Orlando. We used the early entry and it was unreal, like we had the land to ourselves for the first hour. I am glad they removed the 3D from the ride, even though I never experienced it that way it is great as it.
- Fast and the Furious was a major dud, especially following KONG which to me was identical.
- MB was actually really enjoyable, we rode 3 times and got 3 different songs which I loved! The lines were longer than usual as one shaft was down most of the week for cable replacement, however we used MAX Pass which as well was a joy to use.
- I was quite surprised and disappointed that both ITTBAB and MUPPETS werent operating at such a busy time, as well it was my GFs first visit and she had never experienced either.
- The new Soarin' was NOT as good as the original. The first ride we sat on the bottom (OMG the eiffel tower is bendy) and half way through there was a loud air release and the benches stopped moving entirely. I asked the CM on the way out for a re-ride and was informed that if the movie played then we saw the show. It was quite nauseating to watch without the synchronized movement. Thankfully we got a re-ride later on and it worked 100%, again still missing something compared to the original.
- DLR was great! The finale scene on BTM was AMAZING! this was already my favorite Disney mountain and I was delighted with the change.
- Fantasmic 2.0 again wasn't as good as the original. The magic carpet scene felt short, and the pirates definitely doesn't hold up to the PAN segment it replaced. On the plus side we did the dining packages for Fantasmic and WOC which were both AMAZING and well worth the price.
- While at DLR, my GF who had never been to any Disney park was a little underwhelmed with the thrill factor of many rides. She felt that MB was a great balance of thrill to theme. But this also got me thinking about what the newest ride at the park was, which I believe is POOH which opened in 1999. So ignoring overlays the resorts last major ride installation was almost 20 years ago? It made me realize how needed SWGE is, but also much more expansion to resonate with todays guest. I am not saying the additions need to be IP related, but I feel like guests today want more thrilling experiences then in the past. I agree that tomorrowland could use a refresh, but for a park to continuously increase its price above inflation levels I would expect to see additions made to justify the value to the guest. I think the park is truly magical but it really hit me this trip that there should be so much more built.

Anyway just thought I would share my latest park experience.

GiveMeTheMusic

- I was quite surprised and disappointed that both ITTBAB and MUPPETS werent operating at such a busy time, as well it was my GFs first visit and she had never experienced either.

Glad you had a great trip! Just an FYI on this point - ITTBAB and Muppets are both permanently closed. Bugs closed in March to prep for Marvel expansion, and Muppets is now a rotating movie preview theatre.

TragicMike

SFMM arguably has the greatest collection of roller coasters in the world; too bad it smells, has awkward parking and contains some of the most obnoxious people you'll find in a theme park. I don't remember if it was some kind of height requirement stand or some park notification sign, point is I saw some punk kids grab a piece of park equipment and shove it in a trash can while giggling uncontrollably like a teenager in the 90s with a Victoria's Secret catalogue. Disgusting.

mikenatcity1

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. I was able to see the Frozen show on my trip, which was great! I still think the Aladdin show was better, even if I only got to experience it through youtube. I got the feeling that the Duke of Weselton character was supposed to be funnier than he was, but was definitely no replacement for the Genie. I thought the OLAF actor was phenomenal however!.

Glad you got to see Frozen and that your trip was great :)

If you want to see Aladdin (same script/slightly different set), you can see it on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship- the costumes, characters, are all the same!

TP2000

Great TR and comments @Jaison. Magic Mountain truly is in a league of its own when it comes to theme parks, and not in a good way.

The last new ride at Disneyland was actually Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in 2005, and Pooh opened in 2003, but your point is well taken. Disneyland has gone waaaaay too long without a new ride, and when Star Wars opens it will only amp up the pandemonium of that new land and its two new E Tickets.

Disneyland management has done this to themselves though, and deserve every headache they'll have from June, 2019 onward, so they'll get no sympathy from me.

GiveMeTheMusic

Glad you got to see Frozen and that your trip was great :)

If you want to see Aladdin (same script/slightly different set), you can see it on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship- the costumes, characters, are all the same!

And if you want to see a good version of Aladdin, the Broadway musical is currently playing in New York, London and touring across America.

truecoat

Great TR and comments @Jaison. Magic Mountain truly is in a league of its own when it comes to theme parks, and not in a good way.

The last new ride at Disneyland was actually Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in 2005, and Pooh opened in 2003, but your point is well taken. Disneyland has gone waaaaay too long without a new ride, and when Star Wars opens it will only amp up the pandemonium of that new land and its two new E Tickets.

Disneyland management has done this to themselves though, and deserve every headache they'll have from June, 2019 onward, so they'll get no sympathy from me.

There is no excuse for the length between rides but....I guess you can say the resort area has Monsters INC (I know it's a reskin), TSMM , Carsland, TLM:AUA and WOC. It's just too bad that DCA was lacking so.

Jaison

Original Poster
There is no excuse for the length between rides but....I guess you can say the resort area has Monsters INC (I know it's a reskin), TSMM , Carsland, TLM:AUA and WOC. It's just too bad that DCA was lacking so.

I agree, it really seems they have focused on fixing the opening day issues with DCA which were sorely needed. The additions you mention I think have been fantastic! We ate at Carthay Circle this last trip which was superb. The entire Buena Vista street entry with the Red Car Trolly is miles ahead of the opening day main street and makes the park feel like a Disney park.

That being said I don't believe that is an excuse for the lack of investment across the street. It should not be unreasonable that a theme park adds attractions at least every few years. Even six flags parks ,which most operate seasonally, have yearly additions to draw in crowds. I get that Disneyland is still packed without having any new additions in the past 13 years according to @TP2000, however I completely agree with his comments on their crowding issues and lack of investment on their part is the reason.

D

Deleted member 107043

There is no excuse for the length between rides but....I guess you can say the resort area has Monsters INC (I know it's a reskin), TSMM , Carsland, TLM:AUA and WOC.

The excuse is that they don't need to add anything of significance because the sheep people will continue to come in droves with minimal investment from Disney. The recipe is simple: a studio IP overlay here, a seasonal promotion there, mix in a pinch of nostalgia and smidgen of limited edition collectibles, and BOOM - record annual attendance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phroobar

The excuse is that they don't need to add anything of significant because the sheep people will continue to come in droves with minimal investment from Disney. The recipe is simple: a studio IP overlay here, a seasonal promotion there, mix in a pinch of nostalgia and smidgen of limited edition collectibles, and BOOM - record annual attendance.
Disneyland was better before the internet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom