Frosting or Icing?

When a cake is done baking, do you frost it or ice it?

• Total voters

WDWFREAK53

I frost cakes.

(Now...this is sorta complicated...because the phrase says, "Icing on the cake.")

Although, if it's a carrot cake...for some reason I always say "icing" but on chocolate, vanilla, etc. I say frosting.

SpongeScott

Original Poster
So far, all of the votes for frosting are from the north, save for one. Laurie, are you originally from the north?

Lauriebar

SpongeScott said:
So far, all of the votes for frosting are from the north, save for one. Laurie, are you originally from the north?

I'm originally from Southern Illinois, near the Kentucky border. I have heard icing used as a noun before (The icing on this cake is delicious.) but never as a verb
(I need to ice this cake for Junior's birthday.) Don't know if this helps or not.:wave:

ChefTigger

I frost it.

Oh and FYI i did a little search:
And (the icing on the cake) comes from wedding cakes, the white multiple stories one are frost with something called Royal Icing.

Yellow Shoes

grew up near St Louis, but in Illinois.

It's icing on the cake, so therefore you would "ice" the cake. Since few people ever freeze a cake, or throw it onto frozen water, there is little confusion as to one's intentions.

And if you want to sew a dress, you buy "material," not "fabric."

ogryn

Slice it in half and stick Jam/Jelly in the middle, then white icing

-or-

Slice it in half and stick chocolate frosting in the middle, then chocolate icing.

-or-

Slice it in half and stick jam/jelly in the middle, then sprinkle castor sugar over the top

wannab@dis

concise_oed.gif

frost

noun 1 a deposit of white ice crystals formed on surfaces when the temperature falls below freezing. 2 a period of cold weather when frost forms.

verb 1 cover or be covered with or as if with frost; freeze. 2 [size=-1]N. Amer.[/size] decorate with icing.

I frost (action / verb) a cake with icing (noun).

Lauriebar

:p
wannab@dis said:
concise_oed.gif

frost

noun 1 a deposit of white ice crystals formed on surfaces when the temperature falls below freezing. 2 a period of cold weather when frost forms.

verb 1 cover or be covered with or as if with frost; freeze. 2 [size=-1]N. Amer.[/size] decorate with icing.

I frost (action / verb) a cake with icing (noun).

I understand where you are going with your post but, the noun frosting is what you should have looked up. It has a first definition of 1. a sweet, creamy mixture for coating or filling cakes, cookies, etc: icing.

My point being that both are correct it just depends on what your momma called it!!:slurp: :)

I was always taught that icing is the clear sugery stuff that is drizzled on top of baked goods. Most people don't ice their cakes this way; they put on frosting (like chocolate -- umm now I need to go bake a cake!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom