Rumor Frontierland Shootin' arcade to close and replaced with DVC Member lounge

MickeyLuv'r

I also remember it being very good, but that was back in 1987 I believe (it would have been right after the rescue of baby jessica from the well. I remember seeing the rescue on news before heading out for our trip.)

However I don't really see western type themes having all that much broad appeal currently. Nor for that matter review type shows in general. It isn't just about placing IP, its about bringing in entertainment that has broad mass market appeal, either its original parks create Disney IP, or movie/other Disney owned IP. The wild west/frontier is just not as mainstream appealable theming as it once was. Kids today aren't playing cowboys and Indians, aren't building many forts in the woods, ect.
I just read (elsewhere) that the Hoop-Dee-Doo Show remains very popular. (Though I can't say this from any personal knowledge.) and someone else beat me to it in this thread. 😁

Jambo Dad

RichVIII

We only went the past few times since the rumor was floated it would close and it was something nostalgic. My teen DD loved it and is a heck of a good shot.

Would I have been willing to put quarters in it? No.
Were we typically alone in the gallery? Yes.
Did I stand there and think about the maintenance and how compared to today’s arcades that this thing would probably be so boring to most kids? Absolutely.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
1719231520585.png

EricsBiscuit

In the last 8 years, where was the steady stream of people at it? Seriously I remember it being a fun draw when i went as a kid 30+ years ago. But in the last 8 years since we have been taking our kids, I didn’t think I have ever seen it really full. Sure you might see one or 2 kids, but I never saw anything close to a “steady stream.”

In addition outside of bass pro shops, I haven’t seen anything similar to this offering anywhere, which kinda speaks to its popularity/demand. Penny/quarter style arcades are a dying breed in general. And in the markets where arcade type setting still exist, like a Dave and Busters for example, none of them are marketing these types of laser gun type “games.” It was a great piece of tech when it was first built, but times move on. It’s 30+ years old, society’s view of kids “playing”‘with guns (for good or bad I am not judging) has changed, and the space can almost certainly be used for something else.
At the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, which takes up almost the entire OC convention center, there are many vendors who sell shooting arcades. They wouldn’t sell them if they didn’t make money. Also, if kids playing with guns is such a big deal, why are there countless video games which are full of violence and shooting? I’m not against them, but I’m just pointing out that “society” doesn’t seem to care much at all.

Tony the Tigger

I wish they would bring back the Diamond Horseshoe Review...I remember having to make reservations for it when I was a kid.... Or maybe some other Western Saloon themed live entertainment.... Oh, but there is no current Disney IP set in the Wild West.....darnit.... Placemaking no longer matters, just IP integration...
“Coming soon…Woody!

You hated Lightyear, but we promise the inspiration for the Woody toy did not have two moms! You’ll love it.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom