From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It was clear because it was being filled with well water... but it was never intended to stay that way. If I dug a pond in my backyard and then filled it with a garden hose it would be clear too.... but that would only last so long. The only place I can think of in Florida where you find a large super clear body of water would be Silver Springs state park and its only clear because it is constantly fed by the natural artesian springs... You just don't have that where Seven Seas Lagoon is.
You are correct, but you can find springs like Silver Springs all over the state.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But the issue at hand is this took place in the shallow water of the zero entry portion of beach access to guests... What do you think Disney is going to do? Just leave it as is? If they extended all the roof top walls in Disneyland, throwing off the scale of Mainstreet to ensure workers don't fall off... I can't imagine they won't do something to prevent guests from entering the water from guest accessible areas.

Action of some sort is a possibility - but the even suggestion of a wall is ineffective and frankly stupid. 1) It would only even ATTEMPT to address one area - Every ditch, strand of trees, or marsh area near water are risk areas. We would often see gators just walking from Shades of Green to the TTC for instance. 2) It doesn't even address the behavior of the animals. Walling off the lagoon area as you suggest would be some superficial move that would cost millions, detract from the property, yet do nothing to actually address the topic.

Might as well talk about the probability of Disney moving WDW to a safer location -- it's never going to happen.

Disney Shib

At the end of the day this topic is lighting a fire in a lot of people. Whether it's for the poor family of this little boy and the tragedy they are facing, who should be blamed for the tragedy or what can be done to eliminate these tragedy's in the future. Closing a forum because the things that are touching you might not be what are affecting others is just disallowing people from coping (in however way they feel necessary) with the situation. My thoughts and prayers are with the boys family and anyone else affected by this horrible event.

thomas998

I am trying to figure out how this happened? Forgive my ignorance: I dont see how the gator was able to take the child.
A large alligator is fully capable of eating a deer... the boy was smaller than a deer and when the alligator saw him he decided it was a viable meal. If it was dark you would need to be looking to see it but the alligator likely swam underwater with maybe its eyes above the water toward the boy. That was what likely happened and how it would happen. The boy would have been unlikely to have even known the alligator was near until it was close and lunging for him. But how do you not understand how it would take a child? A child is small enough for it to eat and an alligator doesn't have a list of animals it will go after it pretty much is like willing to go after anything that is the right size.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But this Disney World thing? It's not even a relatable mistake.. There was absolutely no mistake made! It was just a terrible freak accident.

If you walk through a bad neighborhood and get mugged - it's not a freak accident.
Walking on the water's edge AT NIGHT with a small animal sized human in gator country is not innocent behavior -- incredibly naive, but not innocent.

I guess most people are not familiar with the idea people lose pets all the time in FL due to gators? Size... timing.. location... are all risk factors.

Disney Analyst

Action of some sort is a possibility - but the even suggestion of a wall is ineffective and frankly stupid. 1) It would only even ATTEMPT to address one area - Every ditch, strand of trees, or marsh area near water are risk areas. We would often see gators just walking from Shades of Green to the TTC for instance. 2) It doesn't even address the behavior of the animals. Walling off the lagoon area as you suggest would be some superficial move that would cost millions, detract from the property, yet do nothing to actually address the topic.

Might as well talk about the probability of Disney moving WDW to a safer location -- it's never going to happen.

A seawall isn't erecting a wall.. it's essentially building a raised sidewalk with a flat wall down into the water, or a dock system. It would be relatively simple and effective, and far more attractive than fencing off the beaches, which would be the cheaper solution I could see Disney doing. You basically just need to make it level with the top of the beach area. It should just be a couple feet up, but enough of a drop into the water that people realize not to jump on in, but then I would assume they'd have to add hand rails and fencing anyway.. so. I don't know. It will be a wait and see as to what Disney will do.

Laura

Premium Member
No, it isn't.

wade
wād/
verb
gerund or present participle: wading
  1. walk through water or another liquid or soft substance.

THANK YOU. I don't know why people assume wading means "swimming waist-deep". It means you are walking...in a place that your feet will get wet. So like when you go to the ocean for a look but you're wearing pants. You roll up your pants, take off your shoes, and walk along the edge so you can feel the water on your feet. That is wading. Not even close to swimming. When I swim, I don't do it fully clothed (at least not intentionally).

Rodan75

I say just close the resort. Between evildoers with weapons of mass destruction, killer gators and people who want to steal as much Coke as their bladders can possibly hold, WDW is just not safe for the masses.

I think people also forget that in the 70's-90's the overall gator population was pretty low, but in recent years it has exploded. I agree with your thought process that the developments nearby are eating into the habitats pretty significantly and causing more animals to migrate.

Phicinfan

If you walk through a bad neighborhood and get mugged - it's not a freak accident.
Walking on the water's edge AT NIGHT with a small animal sized human in gator country is not innocent behavior -- incredibly naive, but not innocent.

I guess most people are not familiar with the idea people lose pets all the time in FL due to gators? Size... timing.. location... are all risk factors.
I would hazard to guess that most who don't live in that area realize that. I would also hazard to guess, that while most have seen gators at the park, and realize that they exist in the area, never assumed they would be that close to a resort hotel. It is a freak accident. It is not naive, if you have not basis of past knowledge it can happen. You need to think like a tourist, not a local with years of experience and knowledge of the area.

MichRX7

Premium Member
I tried to make it through this thread before commenting, but couldn't get any further. The continued defense by people of a multi-billion dollar company and demonization of a family that simply dared to be human started to get to me.

And I tried to get through this entire thread without commenting, but than I ran into your post.

There are signs. How many? How far apart are they? How far from the water are these signs? Is there signage anywhere else besides on the beach? How close was the nearest sign to this child and his father. It was late, so how well illuminated was the sign? Is there any other signage indicated no swimming allowed? Is there a specific reason for "no swimming"? Why no barricades to prevent anyone from entering the water? Does "no swimming" mean "do not enter the water"? Is there any signage to indicate danger from wildlife? Does Disney have staff to enforce the policies? How is it enforced? How often? Does staff verbally communicate with guests that there is no swimming, and do they clarify that it also means "do not enter the water"? Are they only in English? Was there any recognizably "universal" imagery used on the sign? How does Disney communicate the policies to non-English-speaking guests or guests who cannot read? What does Disney due to control wildlife on its property? What precautions does Disney take during large events on its beaches or in natural settings to prevent the encroachment of wildlife? Has wildlife entered these public spaces before? What is the response to these incidents? What is the response time?

Are you *bleeping* kidding me? Did you even read this back to yourself before posting? Let's just wrap all the guests in bubble wrap or close the whole damn thing down.

That's why you're wrong and why Disney is liable.

And this is why we all joke about hating lawyers. I mean honestly, this park has been open for 45 years. This is the first ever occurrence of this FREAK event. Dear citizens of the world, be responsible and know your surroundings. Let's take these same questions you propose and post them towards any National Park in the US, how many pass your ridiculous premise that the property is at fault? (HINT: 0). Comments like this is why McDonald's has to warn that their coffee may be hot. What a joke.

thomas998

A seawall isn't erecting a wall.. it's essentially building a raised sidewalk with a flat wall down into the water, or a dock system. It would be relatively simple and effective, and far more attractive than fencing off the beaches, which would be the cheaper solution I could see Disney doing. You basically just need to make it level with the top of the beach area. It should just be a couple feet up, but enough of a drop into the water that people realize not to jump on in, but then I would assume they'd have to add hand rails and fencing anyway.. so. I don't know. It will be a wait and see as to what Disney will do.

I doubt they will add a seawall, people want to lie on a beach where they see and hear the water rushing up and down the beach, not where you simply know there is water beyond a wall and hear it slapping the wall.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A seawall isn't erecting a wall.. it's essentially building a raised sidewalk with a flat wall down into the water, or a dock system. It would be relatively simple and effective, and far more attractive than fencing off the beaches, which would be the cheaper solution I could see Disney doing.

Did you miss the whole part about alligators LIVE ON LAND??? Gators hunt in the water because they drown their prey and it gives them cover to hunt. Building a wall won't keep gators out of the water, it wouldn't keep people away from gators, nor would it eliminate gators or their threats in the area.

If you've ever played Golf at Disney... you'd know how common they are all around.

s8film40

It was clear because it was being filled with well water... but it was never intended to stay that way. If I dug a pond in my backyard and then filled it with a garden hose it would be clear too.... but that would only last so long. The only place I can think of in Florida where you find a large super clear body of water would be Silver Springs state park and its only clear because it is constantly fed by the natural artesian springs... You just don't have that where Seven Seas Lagoon is.
It was continuously filled that way, it wasn't a one time thing. What I heard was the water management distric eventually at some point decided they had to stop that practice.

Disney Analyst

Did you miss the whole part about alligators LIVE ON LAND??? Gators hunt in the water because they drown their prey and it gives them cover to hunt. Building a wall won't keep gators out of the water, it wouldn't keep people away from gators, nor would it eliminate gators or their threats in the area.

If you've ever played Golf at Disney... you'd know how common they area all around.

I'm not trying to keep gators out of the water or off land.... Nothing I've said is about that.. I'm discussing what Disney will do to prevent guests from accessing these shallow points of water that Gators can hang around.. I may not be writing what I am trying to say clearly, I apologize.

Disneyhead'71

Sorry, fully disagree. No Swimming means no swimming, it does not mean no contact with water. I am willing to bet every dollar I own a legal system would back this up. I get folks point of view, but working in a consumer products area, you must be absolutely clear on verbiage for legal protection.

Again, I fault no one here, this was a huge tragedy, this was no one's fault as no one would expect this to happen
OCSO PIO said, "The sign said "No Swimming". He wasn't swimming".

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And I tried to get through this entire thread without commenting, but than I ran into your post.

Are you *bleeping* kidding me? Did you even read this back to yourself before posting? Let's just wrap all the guests in bubble wrap or close the whole damn thing down.

And this is why we all joke about hating lawyers. I mean honestly, this park has been open for 45 years. This is the first ever occurrence of this FREAK event. Dear citizens of the world, be responsible and know your surroundings. Let's take these same questions you propose and post them towards any National Park in the US, how many pass your ridiculous premise that the property is at fault? (HINT: 0). Comments like this is why McDonald's has to warn that their coffee may be hot. What a joke.
You have obviously never heard the prosecution in a liability case. I will bet the farm that those exact questions and dozens more just like them would be asked if this ever went to trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom