News Friendship Boats Beginning Service Soon from Epcot Resorts?

nickys

Premium Member
I would like them to provide a service that is advertised for their resort guests. That’s all. Either way, I’m glad they are back.

Now please remember this is a free floating vessel and we do have a tendency to bounce around from time to time especially when docking!
Except the costs are or were shared between all the resorts around Crescent Lake, which there are 5 resorts plus two DVC resorts. And only YC, Swan and the villa resorts are open right now. Without the contribution from the remaining three resorts it makes the cost prohibitive.

heapster411

I don’t think they’ll be back until at least one of the Port Orleans resorts re-opens.
But, But, But..... Port Orleans is a longer boat ride! Just Kidding. OKW has been open for a good while, you would think use most of the boats on account of Social Distancing, and give the Skippers some hours, Just Saying.

nickys

Premium Member
But, But, But..... Port Orleans is a longer boat ride! Just Kidding. OKW has been open for a good while, you would think use most of the boats on account of Social Distancing, and give the Skippers some hours, Just Saying.
I suspect the cost of the boats is shared between all 3 resorts on the river, and only OKW is open.

MrPromey

If there isn't demand, why waste money. The boats aren't the only way around. Would you rather them run around a bunch of empty or near empty boats, or spend on attraction construction and maintenance? Something has to give.

Depends.

If I were a normal guest going today rather than in two years and I were staying at the Swan or Dolphin, my vote would probably go towards the bunch of empty boats.

I mean, I'm paying for my experience in the here and now - not investing in the parks for your future enjoyment, right?

For the record, I'm not a normal guest and I also have no plans on visiting in 2020 so it's a moot point for me but I'm glad for the people who are, that an amenity which is surely baked into the cost of their room rather than their park ticket, is returning for them.

Last edited:

LastoneOn

Depends.

If I were a normal guest going today rather than in two years and I were staying at the Swan or Dolphin, my vote would probably go towards the bunch of empty boats.

I mean, I'm paying for my experience in the here and now - not investing in the parks for your future enjoyment, right?

For the record, I'm not a normal guest and I also have no plans on visiting in 2020 so it's a moot point for me but I'm glad for the people who are, that an amenity which is surely baked into the cost of their room rather than their park ticket, is returning for them.
that's why there was some follow up discussion

MrPromey

that's why there was some follow up discussion
Yeah, where you said he didn't answer the question so I thought I would. ;)

Disney in general is in a tough space, here. I don't fault them for cutbacks where they can get away with them right now but everything they cut makes the resort that much less appealing to the people they're struggling to bring in.

Aspects of the resort have been less than premium for a while already and yet they've been able to continue to demand premium pricing with people paying it. In a situation like this where on top of that, there are known major cutbacks to the guest experience in the form of reduced hours and entertainment, parades, fireworks, etc., it only gets harder and harder to continue trying to command that premium price.

Right now, more than ever, they need people paying that price, since even at peak, they can only allow a fraction of the guests in even if they get enough people to show up.

This situation though, is not the guests' responsibility to deal with nor should it be their concern.

So how does Disney deal with it?

I don't envy anyone in charge of that, right now.

Last edited:

icc2515

If there isn't demand, why waste money. The boats aren't the only way around. Would you rather them run around a bunch of empty or near empty boats, or spend on attraction construction and maintenance? Something has to give.

It just does not work that way. Money saved on boats does not go towards finishing Guardians or Tron. At the Boardwalk and Beach Club it would go back to DVC owners maybe a couple of pennies per point (I personally would rather have the boats being an owner). The Yacht Club it would go towards the resort. The S&D, well that's up for debate. Disney may be running the boats just to punish the S&D for dropping Disney's bus service or maybe S&D won't even get the boat service. Disney is renting DVC rooms at the Beach Club, Boardwalk and Yacht club (not DVC) for cash and those people are paying a very premium price and probably want that boat service. It's a long walk to the Yacht and Beach club after walking around HS all day. I one time heard a lady reaming the Poly mgr a new one for about 10 mins about how she paid a pretty penny to stay at a monorail resort and the monorail was not running every single morning she as there.

TrainsOfDisney

So you weren't there? Ahh see, now we're getting someplace. You either weren't there or they told you they were down. Which is it?
What in the name of Walt are you even saying!?

When did I say I was there? Why do you keep quoting me on this subject. The boats are back. It’s good news. I personally think the boats should have been brought back earlier, but better late than never.

If you think the boats shouldn’t be running, that’s fine too.

My guess is, Disney wanted them back ASAP but they had bigger fish to fry.

LastoneOn

What we have is a bunch of people complaining about the boats not running who weren't even staying at those resorts. They have no idea what the guests were told when the reservations were made.
It just does not work that way. Money saved on boats does not go towards finishing Guardians or Tron. At the Boardwalk and Beach Club it would go back to DVC owners maybe a couple of pennies per point (I personally would rather have the boats being an owner). The Yacht Club it would go towards the resort. The S&D, well that's up for debate. Disney may be running the boats just to punish the S&D for dropping Disney's bus service or maybe S&D won't even get the boat service. Disney is renting DVC rooms at the Beach Club, Boardwalk and Yacht club (not DVC) for cash and those people are paying a very premium price and probably want that boat service. It's a long walk to the Yacht and Beach club after walking around HS all day. I one time heard a lady reaming the Poly mgr a new one for about 10 mins about how she paid a pretty penny to stay at a monorail resort and the monorail was not running every single morning she as there.
too much conspiracy and back biting for me. ha!

i know all about budgets, I was just trying to generalize. A dollar saved now is going to be spent somewhere sometime else. I know its a long walk. I've walked it, ran it, hobbled along there a bit cussing at the slow pokes who were passing me (a fellow slow poke).

I think the whole point is, if the guests weren't told the boats were off, that's not good.

LastoneOn

What in the name of Walt are you even saying!?

When did I say I was there? Why do you keep quoting me on this subject. The boats are back. It’s good news. I personally think the boats should have been brought back earlier, but better late than never.

If you think the boats shouldn’t be running, that’s fine too.

My guess is, Disney wanted them back ASAP but they had bigger fish to fry.
You just wouldn't answer a simple question. You had fun pulling me along but I was riding. lol

TrainsOfDisney

Would you rather them run around a bunch of empty or near empty boats, or spend on attraction construction and maintenance?

You just wouldn't answer a simple question. You had fun pulling me along but I was riding. lol
That question?

Well if it comes down to that, I think they should spend money providing a great experience for the guests who are currently there.

As far as running empty boats, they can run more or less boats based on demand, as they do year round.

nickys

Premium Member
What we have is a bunch of people complaining about the boats not running who weren't even staying at those resorts. They have no idea what the guests were told when the reservations were made.

too much conspiracy and back biting for me. ha!

i know all about budgets, I was just trying to generalize. A dollar saved now is going to be spent somewhere sometime else. I know its a long walk. I've walked it, ran it, hobbled along there a bit cussing at the slow pokes who were passing me (a fellow slow poke).

I think the whole point is, if the guests weren't told the boats were off, that's not good.

When WDW prepared for re-opening it was stated on the Epcot Resorts’ pages that the Freindship Boats weren’t running. Many people will have booked before that, others will have booked since. Some may have missed the relevant information.

But people can still have an opinion on the matter without having been there. Whether you or anyone else has been to one of those resorts isn’t a pre-requisite to post on this thread.

LastoneOn

When WDW prepared for re-opening it was stated on the Epcot Resorts’ pages that the Freindship Boats weren’t running. Many people will have booked before that, others will have booked since. Some may have missed the relevant information.

But people can still have an opinion on the matter without having been there. Whether you or anyone else has been to one of those resorts isn’t a pre-requisite to post on this thread.
I'm glad they flat out stated it.

Nobody's trying too hut anybody up. I"m asking questions. Chill out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom