Friend of mine wants to move to Orlando...

Blufusion

I agreee Figment. I started going in 1982 and In was taken by the magic and wanted to always move to Orlando. But Orlando is a BAD place for people outside of the berm of WDW. I worked in DC for 4 yrs. before moving down here in 2005. And I ad the money to move to Orlando and my partner had lived in saint Petersburg and told me" Lets go check it out" . I like it here and it rough anywhere nowadays and here especially. But Orlando is a place to visit then leave. We are 90 mins.away and I miss the seasons but for insurance reasons and his job we can't move back to Texas. I would tell her it's not all fairy tales and pixie dust outside of the world. Most jobs here are service jobs and there is a lot of crime just like anywhere in America. But in Florida most of the people are transients and looking to get over on someone for almost anything. Not trying to scare her. Just being honest.Be prepared and working at Disney is hard and they do expect you to work hard. And also realize this Disney is just the WORLDS Largest MALL with rides!

71jason

But Orlando is a BAD place for people outside of the berm of WDW.

Like any place, there are good areas and bad areas. A lot of Seminole County, for instance, is quite nice, with decent paying jobs and somewhat decent schools. Of course, that's 45 minutes away from WDW, and most residents are loathe to admit they live near a theme park.

That said, if you're moving here because you think life will be a permanent vacation, you're wrong. A job is a job, even if it's in the middle of the happiest place on earth (in which case, the pay will also be lousy). If you're just looking for a new start, and someplace where you don't have to shovel snow and it's easy to make friends, there are worse places to go. Just know that 99% of your time will spent at places other than a theme park.

Blufusion

Besides the factor of working at WDW, does living so close take away some of the magic?
In a way it does. After living in DC we did a lot of things there and still want to go back to visit friends and the 1st 2 yrs were great. There were a lot of history and free museums and things like that. But after awhile . I would drive into DC from Maryland and look over at the Capitol Building and the washington Monument and go. Ok seen . Now it's either get to work of Where is the local fast food place. i think living right at the footsteps at a place you love to visit makes you be bored with it. Like I said in my previous . there is a REAL World around WDW and it like anything else you do. If done too many times it get stale or boring. For us living in Saint Petersburg. We havent been in 5 yrs now. Reason being we have done it all. Next yr will be a big visit to Orlando. we are going for our 1st ever Star Wars convention. !st ever for me of going to Sea Wrld after 30 plus yr of going to Disney and Universal had added so much new things it will be fun for us and of course we will do the Studios for a few rides and things like that. But in 2016 . WE have plans to go to WDW and do the fantasy trip i have always wanted to do. Then after that. That will probably be our last trip there. WE want to do other things in life that are more nature than just a theme park . No syaing Theme Parks are bad. Just will be a little older and body is getting old as well.

71jason

Besides the factor of working at WDW, does living so close take away some of the magic?

Real life is never vacation. Sooner or later, you're going to work a 9-hour day and not be up for the parks after, or decide your Saturday is better spent at Home Depot or the mall than EPCOT, or date a girl who doesn't have a Disney pass. No one can go to the parks every day. Like Blufusion, I lived in DC for a while--I never got tired of seeing the monuments, but I hardly got out of class and ran right to the Smithsonian every day, either.

That said, there are opportunities living here you just don't get as a tourist. Getting to visit obscure restaurants at the resorts. Buying a Frequent Fear Pass for Halloween Horror Nights and going a dozen different nights. Visiting the France pavillion on Bastille Day or EPCOT on its anniversary. But you are also far less to go "commando" style--3 hours in a park is plenty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom