French Quarter vs. Riverside

KHockett

Hello, I am brand new as far as the posting world goes, but I have been enjoying WDW Magic for about 6 months now. I finally decided to join, and I hope I am in the right area, but which part of Port Orleans do you prefer? We stayed at FQ last time, and were considering Riverside this time. Thoughts?:wave:

MINECAR

Account Suspended
RIVERSIDE RIVERSIDE RIVERSIDE! I love riverside I'd go there before FQ anyday. I love the whole feel of the place, and welcome I did the same thing it toke like 5 months for me to join

Upvote 0

goofyfan13

I like Riverside personally, but it has to be at the Alligator Bayou. I love the quaint feel that the Resort gives, and they have a nice pool area. Also, gotta love the boat transportation to DD.

Upvote 0

ImagineAtl23

Well.......

I like Riverside better, honestly, i htink its coller, but make up your own mind, if you like the whole New Orleans thing go to FQ, but if you like the laid back style of RS go there sorry if i didnt help........

Upvote 0

AndreainNY

FQ vs Riverside

We came back from 5 days at Riverside today (boo-hoo!!) and we have stayed at French Quarter twice previously. We have enjoyed both sides a lot, especially the boat to downtown. FQ is a smaller resort, so the amenities are smaller too (food court, game room, store, no sit down restaurant) although you are able to use all amenities at Riverside (and vice versa if you stay at Riverside). The pool at French Quarter is cool but smaller, we did not use the pool at Riverside but it looked nice. There are also smaller "quiet" pools around the resort at Riverside, there is only the main pool at French Quarter. Both food courts are good, we had fresh cooked food each meal, not like Pop Century where my waffles had sat around for awhile and were cold and rubbery. We had the king room at Riverside and there was more than enough room for my husband and I. We were in Alligator Bayou (building 36) and it was comfortable, clean and quiet. Looking around the room, it looks like more than enough room for us to put a trundle bed and a porta-crib when we go next year with our kids.

I don't think you can lose on either side, but I do think that if you are looking for more things to do and a slightly larger feel to your resort, then Riverside is your best bed. If you want a smaller resort with a more personal feel, then go for the French Quarter. I rate them both as top notch resorts!

p.s. - the hot tub at Riverside is being completely refurbished, it was completely torn apart while we were there. If you are looking for a bubbly soak, you will want to go with French Quarter!

Upvote 0

Dukeis#1

I like Riverside better. The resort itself is beautiful, plus it feels much more relaxed and layed back. (Wish they would have kept the Dixie Landings name!)

Of course French Quarter is still nice too...

Upvote 0

shmmrname

We go to POFQ on 1/1/2006, so I'll tell you then...
POR looks to country/rustic for our liking, and as the two PO resorts share close proximity and many of their amenities, we preferred the FQ theming.
WL and AKL are a year or so away from us, but we'll save the rustic themes for those trips.

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

I liked POFQ, it was quaint and quiet but it did draw a lot of the families which I had not counted on. The boat transportation was great, we took it so much we ended up knowing some of the trivia the boat captains told us. All in all, POFQ is a very pretty resort, I liked it better at night....very peaceful.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We love POR. We prefer to stay in the mansion side, but either side is great. It's really nice to have a sit-down restaurtant too - you can't beat Boatwright's for breakfast!:slurp:

Upvote 0

goofyfan13

Dukeis#1 said:
(Wish they would have kept the Dixie Landings name!)

I still call it Dixie Landings, unless I'm reminded it's Riverside now...
POFQ will always be plain old Port Orleans and Riverside will always be Dixie Landings to me. :)

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Definitely Riverside, mansion section. I love being able to have a sit down breakfast away from all the kids in the foodcourt. The bannana stuffed french toast is the best!!

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

We're planning on POR (Alligator Bayou) for our honeymoon. We're hoping for a king-size bed. Any suggestions on which building to get? We'd like to be close to the main stuff, but far enough away so that we don't get noise from foot traffic or car traffic from the parking lots.

Upvote 0

DiPSU224

I have not stayed at the French Quarter, but on our last visit we stayed at Riverside and really enjoyed it. We've stayed at one of every resort category (value-mod-deluxe) and I really think Riverside is the best deal. The theming is beautiful and so were the rooms. We stayed in the mansion section and were about a 30 second walk from one of the 4 bus stops. The 2 resorts also share a bus service which was excellent as well. I would love to try FQ just to get a feel of different resorts, but I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with either one.

Upvote 0

Goofy36

We stayed at POR last year. We visited FQ and strolled around and just liked POR better. The pool is nicer, the theming is nicer. I think POR is more spread out and the walks to the Food Court are longer (depending where you are) but it just gives you time to take in the landscaping. If you can swing it request a corner room (additional Window) and a water view.

Upvote 0

GrandFloridian1

I must say, I've never stayed at POR only FQ. I think both resorts are quite picturesque and I've thought about staying at Riverside but if you don't have a rental car on property then I wouldn't stay there. Riverside seems to always get picked up after French Quarter on the bus schedule which stinks for the guests who stay there. Riverside guests seem to end up standing on the bus. I don't understand why resorts like Port Orleans and All Star don't have separate buses for each of the separate resorts. :brick:

Upvote 0

barrettnichols

Riverside. Check out the tree in old man island (where the pool is). They brought the tree in, then dug the waterway around it. It was a HUGE moving project. The tree was on life support for years (I believe they removed the chemical pumps the last time I was there years ago).
The place is great!!! Don't pass it up.
P.S. - we are still staying at Caribbean beach in two weeks, but Riverside would be the second choice.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

POFQ - two reasons -
(1) Riverside is twice as big as FQ and (probably) twice as busy.
(2) Buses always pick up at FQ first and so more chance of a seat on the way to the parks

Upvote 0

foldmama

I have stayed at the POFQ twice and we absolutely love it. On my last trip I went with a friend in her mid 60's and it was great that the FQ was picked up first on the buses. It's also the first stop on all the return trips except for downtown Disney. I may try the PORS when I go solo at the end of April. I absolutely love the river side of building 6 in the FQ. We are taking a large family trip in November, 2006 and we will mostlikely stay at the FQ.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom