French Quarter vs. Pop Century?

aroyston

I am planning a trip in May for 5 nights. Right now I am going to be staying at Pop Century, I've been there before. I was wondering if anybody had any advice on whether it is worth the upgrade to French Quarter. Thanks

Nicole

I think it depends on what you are after. I prefer the Moderates because they have hot tubs and sit down restaurants, and more activites at the resort. Because I drive I also like the convenience of the parking lot to the rooms. I have not stayed at POFQ, but I've stayed at all the other moderates, and Pop.

If you are just looking for a place to sleep then Pop is fine. I've stayed there twice because sometimes it is a choice of staying at a Value or not going. The food court has a decent selection and the pools are wet and feel good after a hot day. I also like the "over the top" themeing at Pop, to me it's the most "Disneyesque" of all the resorts because of the giant character icons by the buildings.

Upvote 0

WTBAD

PC has almost 3,000 rooms. FQ has around 1,000. There are alot less children at FQ. Its smaller & easy walk to the FC from any room. At PC, unless you get a perferred room, be ready to walk. Neither has a sit down restaurant, but FQ does have a Jazz bar which is open several nights a week. I prefer the FQ, but will be staying at PC when I go back in JUne. PC room rate $99. FQ room rate $ 155. We'll be getting 3 rooms so need to save on the rate.

Upvote 0

aroyston

Original Poster
Buses and Boats

How is the bus transportation to and from FQ? I know that POP was pretty good, but I have read bad things about the other moderate resorts transportation. Also, does anyone know how long the boat ride is from FQ to Downtown Disney? Is it convenient? Is the food court about the same as the All Star/POP food courts?

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

A comparison between POFQ and Pop just can't be done. Better at POFQ but you pay for it. If you're just sleeping at the resort and want to save $$ go to Pop. If you wamt better theming etc go to POFQ

Upvote 0

GoofyGuySouthFl

aroyston said:
How is the bus transportation to and from FQ? I know that POP was pretty good, but I have read bad things about the other moderate resorts transportation. Also, does anyone know how long the boat ride is from FQ to Downtown Disney? Is it convenient?
The boat ride is maybe a 5-10 min to DTD from PO. Not sure on buses as we normally drive.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

aroyston said:
I am planning a trip in May for 5 nights. Right now I am going to be staying at Pop Century, I've been there before. I was wondering if anybody had any advice on whether it is worth the upgrade to French Quarter. Thanks

Yes, yes, yes!!!! POFQ is BEAUTIFUL, and you will love it!

Upvote 0

scarfoney

I was at French Quarter in December and the longest I had to wait was 15 min for a bus, but at the end of the night, it seemed like the Port Orleans bus was always one of the first ones, maybe we just got lucky. Also, when they pick you up, they drive through Riverside and make those pickups. Didn't like that much but it didn't take long either. The positive side is going back to the hotel you get dropped of first!!That's a plus when everyone's tired and just wants to go to bed. I loved POFQ.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
aroyston said:
How is the bus transportation to and from FQ? I know that POP was pretty good, but I have read bad things about the other moderate resorts transportation. Also, does anyone know how long the boat ride is from FQ to Downtown Disney? Is it convenient? Is the food court about the same as the All Star/POP food courts?
The water transportation form PO to DTD is great. With the exception of Saratoga Springs it has by far the best transportation to DTD. Busses can be a little hit or miss. 1 bus services 4 or 5 stops between POR and POFQ so you can encounter some packed buses at times depending on which stop you use. The good part about that is you typically wont have far to walk from your bus stop to your room unlike the Values where you might have to walk all the way across the resort. If the money is not too tight I would stay at PO over POP any day.

Upvote 0

NeedABreak

I have been staying at POP for the last few Birthday trips I have taken because all I am doing there is sleeping. I am going for my honeymoon this sept. and we will be staying at Riverside for the atmosphere.

If you really need a nice hotel stay at Riverside. If you wanna save some money that you can spend on fun stuff during your vacation stay at POP.

Have Fun!!

Upvote 0

SarahBella82

aroyston said:

During my family's first visit to Disney, in 1992, we stayed at FQ. I remember the buses being very easy to navigate. As the resort is smaller (another poster said 1000 guests), I imagine buses would be less crowded. All of this could have changed in 15 years... :)

On the other hand, I doubt the Sassagoola River Cruise has changed. If, in fact, this is the case, I am offering my commendation for this service. My family (mom, three kids) used the boat to go Downtown nearly every evening. It was relaxing, and it was a nice part of our routine. I think it was helpful for the three of us rambunctious kids to take a few moments to chill.

Lastly, I would just add that, from my experience with moderates and values, FQ is decidedly more "grown up." Yes, grown up-- despite the giant green dragon and fanciful alligator statues. If you're looking to something more refined than giant memorabilia, you might consider FQ.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Never stay in the same resort twice until you have stayed at all of them!

(Hey...it sounds good on paper, right!?!?)

Seriously, you will never know which is your "new favorite" resort until you try it!

POFQ is a "new favorite" of mine, being one of the last resorts I tried at WDW. POP is great, for what it is, but there is so much more to discover down there!

Not to sound cynical or anything, but you never really know if you will get to go back someday, and never trying anything new is a big regret nobody needs!

Give it a whirl! If you don't like it there's plenty more to choose from.

But I don't think you will be disappointed!!!

:wave:

Upvote 0

aroyston

Original Poster
Switching Hotels

I am traveling with 3 other people. We are going for 5 nights in May. I am thinking about staying at Pop Century for 2 nights then going to POFQ for 3 nights. I am just looking for opinions about whether or not anyone thinks it is worth the $60 each it would cost to do that. We have never tried a moderate resort, just value and deluxe, and 3 out of the 4 of us are willing to upgrade, we are having a hard time convincing the 4th person to chip in. Any thoughts?:brick:

Upvote 0

Lefty

BRER STITCH said:
Never stay in the same resort twice until you have stayed at all of them!

(Hey...it sounds good on paper, right!?!?)

Seriously, you will never know which is your "new favorite" resort until you try it!

POFQ is a "new favorite" of mine, being one of the last resorts I tried at WDW. POP is great, for what it is, but there is so much more to discover down there!

Not to sound cynical or anything, but you never really know if you will get to go back someday, and never trying anything new is a big regret nobody needs!

Give it a whirl! If you don't like it there's plenty more to choose from.

But I don't think you will be disappointed!!!

:wave:

I have the same sentiments. I stayed on property for the first time (POP), and while I know I could definitely enjoy myself if I go again, I really want to experience the others. Likely, as my budget won't increase drastically on the next visit (I'm in college), I'll probably go to an All-Star resort next. And maybe in a couple years, I'll test the moderates.

I'm already planning my next trip for this summer (maybe July or August).

Upvote 0

frazierle

My home away from home. We've stayed at PC and enjoyed it and would stay there again, but I really like POFQ. We've stayed at all the values and Riverside and once we stayed at POFQ our last 10 trips have been there. Smaller, never appears crowded and relatively quite. Very easy to relax.

Upvote 0

Dcp3000

I think spending $60 isn't worth it for your trip. You could spend the money on food instead. If you had a season pass I would say stay there in a heart beat. This trip is costing a lot as is and spending $60 for a room that you wouldn't be in much just seems like a bad idea. I would stay there just not this trip, next time when you have more money.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom