Free wifi?!?!?!?!

Rumor I heard is that it will be happening sometime next year. But it won't be in the rooms, more likely in the main lobby and the main pool (the main hotspots). Last time I was in Boardwalk, though, I attempted to use the internet on my iPhone while waiting for my parents in the lobby and was prompted to put in a password and ID. This was NOT an attempt to get on Disney's private servers that pop up time to time, this was an actual WiFi service that I had encountered.

I've been sitting on this rumor for awhile btw, seeing as I think some might doubt it.

stewdog1

Just wait until they offer free wifi and someone at a WDW resort gets their laptop hacked because they don't have proper security on said laptop and try to sue Disney.

Beuford

Well I'm sitting in my room in the polynesian right now using the free wdwguest access wireless and It's working great, for what that is worth.
:shrug:

wdwfan22

They offered it free last month when we stayed Concierge at the Grand Floridian. I'm not sure if it's a trial or not but it was free.

Glasgow

"Free" wifi is definitely not "free" to Disney - it takes a lot to maintain a secure & robust wifi network (speaking from experience here). Sure, they can do it but they have to pay someone to maintain it, not to mention the liability and security issues.

At any rate, yes, it does seem like something they should include in the price of the room. I'm sure they're constantly examining the business case of including it for free, but since they're making money from it now, it's difficult to just absorb that cost. Probably more of an accounting issue right now than anything.

DznyRktekt

I assumed there was no WiFi in the rooms to go along with the "family atmosphere". This is the reason I heard they have a very select choice of programming on the in-room TV's as well and no HBO, Showtime, etc.

ToTBellHop

I assumed there was no WiFi in the rooms to go along with the "family atmosphere". This is the reason I heard they have a very select choice of programming on the in-room TV's as well and no HBO, Showtime, etc.
What could be more magical than watching Dexter from the comfort of your Disney room?

Condorman

For the high cost of staying on site wifi should be free of charge.

If most of the low cost hotels can do it for free, Disney can let that happen.

Silly thing to say. Most "low cost" hotels don't have 40 square miles to landscape, 60,000 employees' salaries to pay and nighttime fireworks spectaculars. That's why Disney charges extra for Wifi. They have just a few more bills to pay. :rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

Silly thing to say. Most "low cost" hotels don't have 40 square miles to landscape, 60,000 employees' salaries to pay and nighttime fireworks spectaculars. That's why Disney charges extra for Wifi. They have just a few more bills to pay. :rolleyes:
No, its just the norm in the industry. It is assumed if you can and will pay the higher prices for the hotel than paying for internet access is of less concern. It has nothing to do with being able to pay for the rest of Walt Disney World, as it is not a steady stream of revenue and one that will likely get less reliable as more people acquire mobile hotspots.

JWG

I disagree. 60,000 people do not work for the resorts nor to they pay for fireworks. Resorts are an independent balance sheet within the organization.

acishere

What could be more magical than watching Dexter from the comfort of your Disney room?

Why the magic of the incest and beheading you see in Game of Thrones of course!

I don't know how internet is going to tarnish the magic atmosphere. In fact if they want me to keep being able to afford the magic it might be in their best interest to give me some web to do some minor work off of at the end of the day. I'm not going to sit in my room all day because suddenly I have internet. People can waste the day on Facebook AND be in line for the rides at the same time anyway thanks to smart phones. It is just a good tool to use when winding down after a day in the parks and make sure I'm not falling behind and whoever is taking my place isn't royally screwing up all my work.

tikiman

Well I'm sitting in my room in the polynesian right now using the free wdwguest access wireless and It's working great, for what that is worth.
:shrug:

That is coming from the Grand Floridian. I talked to the staff at the Polynesian when I was there last week and they said all the resorts will have it soon but the access at the Polynesian is coming from the GF. It was very slow in the Hawaii lounge.

jjgoo

I agree with Master Yoda

Now my feeling may be because we are DVC members and pay for internet through our dues, but I would not mind that it would still be a paid service.

I usually bring my Airport and set up a small private wifi network in the room for when we want to get on the net. There is not ever much traffic and the connection is good. Some wifi connection in the lobbies and at the pools would be nice.

They already do have connection at some of the pools. At the Kidani pool I was able to get access I just had to enter my room number and agree.

If they do offer free wifi then I hope they have at least a slight reduction in the DVC dues because that is part of what the dues pay for.

mp2bill

Who's going to go to WDW only to sit in their room on the internet? If that's what you want, go down I-Drive to Starbucks where the wifi is always free.

I can't imagine would really not go out to the parks simply because the wifi is free. That's absurd.

People wouldn't be able to resist going on the internet now that it's free...what with the ography and all. :animwink:

JWG

My guess is NextGen and RFID is going to force WiFi throughout the entire WDW area. Not just resorts.

lt94

if you check all of disney has a wi-fi now and has had it for years BUT it is a private network for the use of disney just check with your phone or computer when you there. Disney would make money from advertisment on the network and this would also free up phone operator if you want to make dinning rsvp. from your room and remember disney will let you make ride rsvp. times in future what better way than from your room or by the pool. disney needs to get with the program most city parks, malls, mcdonalds, donut shops ect it's free. Disney is big enough to give this free to guest.

Glasgow

Again, its not a matter of Disney being charitable enough to give free internet. Because they ARE so large, the cost to maintain the wifi network is not insignificant - plus, since there are 20 million (plus) guests coming through WDW each year, even if just 10% of those guests pay for one day of wifi that's $20 mil. These are all just ballpark numbers but given the scale of WDW, you can see that this isn't just some small amount of money.

You can be darn sure that if wifi becomes free next week that the cost to maintain the system will just be bundled into the room costs somehow ..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom