Free Roaming Dinos at AK

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
has anyone heard anything else about this? i know this was brought up some time ago, and i remember seeing something like this on the imagineer's special on the travel channel, but i think it would be such a great idea... we know they are working on it, right? does anyone have anymore info on this?

wdwcrazy

I think some are going into California Adventure for reason's I don't know, but I guess if they work well over there they'll show up in Animal Kingdom.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
I think some are going into California Adventure for reason's I don't know, but I guess if they work well over there they'll show up in Animal Kingdom.
Yeah I wondered that as well. What is the reason for having a walking Dinosaur in a park like DCA when Animal Kingdom has an entire land devoted to them? :veryconfu

Shaman

Originally posted by AndyMagic
Yeah I wondered that as well. What is the reason for having a walking Dinosaur in a park like DCA when Animal Kingdom has an entire land devoted to them? :veryconfu

Maybe they'll build an attraction over at DCA based on Dino, alot of fossils have been found in California...so who knows maybe thats the connection. Besides the poor park is not doing so good over there...(its has potential, but I guess the overall theme of the park limits what it can become)......

As for Dinos at AK, I think its very possible they may have some sort of Dino safari or something in the works....why else create free moving dinos???? Can you imagine what a great attraction that would make for...... (hey its doesn't hurt to dream)....:brick:

CTXRover

Originally posted by AndyMagic

I was wondering the same thing. Two possibilities. First, the prototype of this moving Dino is being built in California and thus it would be a lot easier to test it at a California park than a Florida park. Second, DCA is the worst received Disney theme park in America. Disney hates to lose and they will do everything they can to fix this park, including throwing in the first walking animatronic. I think DCA will eventually be better received by the public. Its hard for a park to stand alone against Disneyland, a park that has evolved for almost 50 years.

DarkMeasures

Hey. Instead of putting Stitch in Alien Encounter, why don't Disney put that walking dinosaur technology into the alien on Alien Encounter.

Imagine how scary that would be!!!

Lord Alfred

Imagine this...

The walking "dinosaur" animatroic isn't supposed to be a dinosaur at all. It's a dragon... and where in AK would a dragon walk around?

Why, the newly announced Beastly Kingdom, of course!

(The above post is pure speculation and has no basis in fact.)

imagineersrock

the dinosaur thing sounds real cool but i have a slightly off topic question;

why is calfornia adventure such a hated park?? it looks really neat from what i've seen, not only does it look like a visually appealing park, but they have that great looking coaster, an equally good looking rapids ride, and that soarin' ride is apparently incredible too, so why is it doing so poorly with the public? -with my logic it should be doing great...?:veryconfu

tenchu

Originally posted by spider-man
Does it have to be a Dinosaur?

I suspect they would be using a dinosaur so they could make it bipedal, with a tail as a counterweight.

Easier to co-ordinate 2 legs as opposed to 4, and the basic body structure of say, a T-rex, would be easier to copy than a humanoid.

CTXRover

Originally posted by imagineersrock

why is calfornia adventure such a hated park?? it looks really neat from what i've seen, not only does it look like a visually appealing park, but they have that great looking coaster, an equally good looking rapids ride, and that soarin' ride is apparently incredible too, so why is it doing so poorly with the public? -with my logic it should be doing great...?:veryconfu

I think that is a difficult question to answer, but I'll try to give a few insights from what I've read elsewhere.

(1) It was immediately compared to its sister park, Disneyland. Considering it costs the same to enter, people wanted a park that provided as much to do as Disneyland. Although as history has shown, most of Disney's parks, including MGM and AK, start off with no where near what Disneyland or MK has. Its just economically infeasible. Many Disney critics and fans immediately bashed it for its "lack of things to do".

(2) Disney tried to build a park that would cater to an "older" crowd and worked hard to not create another Disneyland. What they found is that guests in fact were expecting another Disneyland type park. Recent additions that cater to kids has shown the shift in Disney's thinking of the park.

(3) The California Theme. Most visitors to the Disneyland resort are locals and the idea of entering a park that recreates things they could easily drive to hasn't proven to be appealing.

(4) The "backstage" look. A lot of the park allows visitors to see backstage stuff. Be it riding on the sunwheel and looking behind the buildings to the fact that the entire Hollywood section is simply a facade you can walk behind (they did this with New York Street at MGM). Although the park looks nice, I think some expected more.

(5) Off-the-shelf rides. An entire land contains off-the-shelf style rides. Unfortunately, that seems to dominate people's thoughts of this side of the park. Not the fact that each ride was themed and creates a very authentic beach/boardwalk setting.

(6) Easy sight of things outside of the park. This one does annoy me a little. You can see power lines, buildings, etc. from within the park that are part of the surrounding city. The open areas prevent the guests from entering a world that is not impinged on by the outside world. Its unfortunate, really.

(7) A bad rap on the internet. People love to find fault it seems and don't look at the good. I truly believe DCA will turn into a nice park. It needs a little work, but with the addition of the Tower of Terror, Aladdin show, A Bug's Land (and Flick's Fun Fair) and Playhouse Disney: Live on Stage, all within two-three years after its opening, the park is working to make itself better. I just hope that it will not be plagued forever by the bad press its gotten on the internet. Something MGM, a park that had very little when it opened, had to face.

ImagineerFan04

If anybody saw the imaginnering show on the travel channel they said they are working on them and don't br suprised if you see a dinosour walking around the park someday.

So i guess in a couple of years.

Shaman

Originally posted by imagineersrock

THREAD DRIFTING......Just to add to what CTX has said...the park does have things that are worth noting:

Hyperion Theater
Disney Animation attraction
California Screamin
Soarin' over Cali

When I went to California Adventure I went in open minded ready for clones from WDW and off the shelf rides...I enjoyed it more than Disneyland (but thats because I think Magic Kingdom is so much better than Disneyland). Sure it could use more rides...and some are on the way. The park is beautiful especailly Paradise Peir. A dino walking around there would bring in people, but I think that in the end the lack of land will hinder the development of Cali Adv. Sure they have some land....but not a whole lot.

It make sense to try out the Dino in Cali, it will be a hit, and then when they bring it to WDW it will be perfect, ready, and maybe even better. :hammer:

Cartman9

Originally posted by CTXRover

(1) It was immediately compared to its sister park, Disneyland. Considering it costs the same to enter, people wanted a park that provided as much to do as Disneyland. Although as history has shown, most of Disney's parks, including MGM and AK, start off with no where near what Disneyland or MK has. Its just economically infeasible. Many Disney critics and fans immediately bashed it for its "lack of things to do".

You are right about there being a lack of things to do. MGM opened to record crowds and the executives of the park were struggling to try and find things to open in a hurry. That is why opening things like NY St. and Mickey Ave. to the public were pushed through in a hurry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom