Free Downtown Disney VR experience expands Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge universe - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
>>Gamers will get a chance to explore Jedi temples and battle a Guavian Death Gang on the outskirts of Black Spire Outpost in a new virtual reality experience in Downtown Disney that expands on the universe created for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland.

Free previews of the Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge virtual reality experience will be held Nov. 21 to Jan. 5 from noon to 8 p.m. daily at the former ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney.<<

TP2000

So...um...

Three and a half years after ESPNZone closed for good, this is the second, or is it the third, slapdash re-use of this space? I've honestly lost track.

This was an Instagram Maze where you paid 10 bucks to take your own pictures? Or something?

Then weren't they going to also use this space for flouncy school dance groups to perform to a small crowd of Woo Moms? Did that concept open and close before I had a chance to make fun of it?

There's got to be a strategy for this giant old ESPNZone, and the entire mall west of the monorail beam. This can't be what this abandoned end of this mall is going to be like for three more years, can it?

https:///wp-content/uploads/2018/10/restaurant-close.jpg

Downtown-Disney-Old-AMC-with-tables-still-missing_sharing.jpeg

disneyplusdowntowndisney6-1268373.jpeg

Last edited:

SevenSevens

Shame. I found the older VR title Vader Immortal to be a much better (if less visually appealing) experience. The Dojo is perfect for first time VR users.

mickEblu

Shame. I found the older VR title Vader Immortal to be a much better (if less visually appealing) experience. The Dojo is perfect for first time VR users.

Vader Immortal was awesome! I kind of regret returning my Occulus 2. Although it was a little straining on the eyes and I feel like the graphics aren’t quite there yet. Great for VR googles that don’t require being tethered to a PC.

Disclaimer: not a tech guy and before Occulus 2 the last video game system I owned was N64. Have since bought a Switch for my son.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Vader Immortal was awesome! I kind of regret returning my Occulus 2. Although it was a little straining on the eyes and I feel like the graphics aren’t quite there yet. Great for VR googles that don’t require being tethered to a PC.

Disclaimer: not a tech guy and before Occulus 2 the last video game system I owned was N64. Have since bought a Switch for my son.
I got the Oculus Rift S two years ago on sale for $349. I prefer the tethered (though it can sometimes be a pain) headset because it runs on the power of my computer's GPU, not limited to internal graphics hardware. This allows you to play games at much better graphics qualities.

I don't know how high you can push the graphics on the Quest 2 (I think the games you get from it's store are tailored for the HW), but running Vader Immortal at the highest setting produced some of the best graphics I've seen in a VR game (aside from perhaps Half-Life Alyx and Asgard's Wrath).

SevenSevens

The Quest 2 really is the best of both worlds. Decent enough VR if you want a wire free solution, but you can also hook it up to a PC to get the full PCVR experience. Just 1 USB 3.0 cable is all that's needed. They also allow wireless tethering, which my friend uses all the time, but I find the slight delay and occasional graphics glitches annoying. USB cable is fine by me for playing HL:Alyx and other PC items when I want to.

CaptinEO

>>Gamers will get a chance to explore Jedi temples and battle a Guavian Death Gang on the outskirts of Black Spire Outpost in a new virtual reality experience in Downtown Disney that expands on the universe created for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland.

Free previews of the Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge virtual reality experience will be held Nov. 21 to Jan. 5 from noon to 8 p.m. daily at the former ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney.<<

A month and a half of previews?

TP2000

About three years ago I did that Star Wars VR The Void thing they had in Downtown Disney, before it got sued and closed down under shady circumstances just before Covid.

I was with my 20something grand nephews and niece. I was trying to be the cool great uncle, but probably failing miserably (except for the fact that I paid for everyone). And it was just... odd.

I'm an excellent marksman by the way, and know how to shoot rifles and shotguns quite well. But the game and the goggles and that big heavy vest you wore was just too weird for me. And then they'd change the flooring on you and make it squishy or something to try and trick you. Then lots of yelling and loud noises.

My question is... Is this experience any different from that previous Downtown Disney VR video game thing? Or is it just people in goggles wandering through plywood sets shooting fake guns at Star Wars bad guys?

If I already did The Void version of this a few years ago, I don't have to do this version again, do I?

Sharon&Susan

About three years ago I did that Star Wars VR The Void thing they had in Downtown Disney, before it got sued and closed down under shady circumstances just before Covid.

I was with my 20something grand nephews and niece. I was trying to be the cool great uncle, but probably failing miserably (except for the fact that I paid for everyone). And it was just... odd.

I'm an excellent marksman by the way, and know how to shoot rifles and shotguns quite well. But the game and the goggles and that big heavy vest you wore was just too weird for me. And then they'd change the flooring on you and make it squishy or something to try and trick you. Then lots of yelling and loud noises.

My question is... Is this experience any different from that previous Downtown Disney VR video game thing? Or is it just people in goggles wandering through plywood sets shooting fake guns at Star Wars bad guys?

If I already did The Void version of this a few years ago, I don't have to do this version again, do I?
It's a brand new VR game made for the home so no bulky vests, replica blasters, or a maze-like walkthrough like the Void. You'll be standing in place with a jack of all trades controller in each hand and obviously wearing a VR headset. Not as immersive, but far more practical for a home setting.
Here's some gameplay in case your curious:

TP2000

It's a brand new VR game made for the home so no bulky vests, replica blasters, or a maze-like walkthrough like the Void. You'll be standing in place with a jack of all trades controller in each hand and obviously wearing a VR headset. Not as immersive, but far more practical for a home setting.
Here's some gameplay in case your curious:

Thank you.

The last time I did The Void several years ago we'd just come from dinner at Catal. It was December, the kids were in town for Christmas, and I was wearing a sport coat because I don't go to dinner without a sport coat.

The poor young lady working The Void "Suit 'Em Up!" position struggled to get that whole vest contraption on over my sport coat, and it was just hilarious. I then trundled through the rest of that weird video game under 20 pounds of vest, thinking "How am I going to explain this to my dry cleaner?" while also trying to kill the Stormtroopers.

Needless to say, it was not my finest hour. 🤣

A video game like this without the heavy vest seems better. But really, is this all the west end of Downtown Disney is good for?

Sharon&Susan

Unless if they're using a larger amount of the former ESPN Zone and have tens of people simultaneously on VR headsets at one time (I doubt that), I wonder why they're doing the previews in Downtown Disney instead of Tomorrowland. Both the Starcade Magic Key Lounge and Star Wars Launch Bay are both abandoned and are far more visible to the average Disneyland Resort visitor than anything ever will be past the trams Mickey&Friends Parking walking trail and Disney+ advertisement display.

truecoat

So...um...

Three and a half years after ESPNZone closed for good, this is the second, or is it the third, slapdash re-use of this space? I've honestly lost track.

This was an Instagram Maze where you paid 10 bucks to take your own pictures? Or something?

Then weren't they going to also use this space for flouncy school dance groups to perform to a small crowd of Woo Moms? Did that concept open and close before I had a chance to make fun of it?

There's got to be a strategy for this giant old ESPNZone, and the entire mall west of the monorail beam. This can't be what this abandoned end of this mall is going to be like for three more years, can it?

https:///wp-content/uploads/2018/10/restaurant-close.jpg

Downtown-Disney-Old-AMC-with-tables-still-missing_sharing.jpeg

disneyplusdowntowndisney6-1268373.jpeg

It’s going to be replaced starting next year.

4504802B-03B3-47F6-81D8-293E97751188.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom