Free Dining News????

WDW_Emily

Might be a silly questions but in the past for free dining, have you needed to buy a room and ticket package or can it just be a room package? Debating getting an AP and wondering if I could get free dining still for one of my trips.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
You had to have a specific number of tickets in order to get it and I do believe it was a 2 day park hopper.

Here is last years information

Free Disney Quick-Service Dining Plan at select Disney Value Resorts; and the Disney Dining Plan at select Disney Moderate, Deluxe, and Deluxe Villa Resorts when you book a room and ticket package at Walt Disney World® Resort.

A stay at select Walt Disney World® Resort hotels for arrivals most nights from August 14 through October 1, November 15 through November 21, November 26 through November 28, and December 10 through December 21, 2016.
Number of rooms allocated for these offers is limited. Tickets must be used within 14 days of first use. Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotions. Advance reservation required. Offer excludes 3-bedroom villas, campsites, Art of Animation – Little Mermaid Standard Rooms, Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, Bungalows at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, Disney's All-Star Movies Resort, Disney's Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter and Villas at Grand Floridian. Disney's Port Orleans – Riverside is excluded during the following dates: November 15 to 21, November 26 to 28 and December 10 to 21, 2016.

Historically Free dining is always released in the UK months prior to it being released in the States.

Pam

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AmandaS.

Might be a silly questions but in the past for free dining, have you needed to buy a room and ticket package or can it just be a room package? Debating getting an AP and wondering if I could get free dining still for one of my trips.
I went last year for free dining. You had to have a package (not a room only), it had to include a ticket for everyone in the room. The reservation had to be for a minimum amount of 3 nights. The ticket had to be at least a 2 day and had to include either park hopper or the waterpark upgrade.

Upvote 0

AmandaS.

BTW I believe you used to be able to get free dining, buy the 2 day tickets and then on the first day show up and upgrade those to an AP. I am not sure if they still do this, but it might be something for you to look into.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/free-dining-and-upgrading-to-annual-pass.884925/

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

I just checked my dates (Dec. 12th-24th) today to see what the rates are doing and EVERYTHING is booked? Are all these people booking in anticipation of the free dining promotion? Three days ago there were still plenty of rooms open for these dates. We get the free dining every year, and we were never allowed to modify an existing reservation with a promotion, only cancel and make a new one. Sooo, when free dining comes out, all these people will be on the phone trying to change their res.? Some of the bloggers I follow have said that booking early only tells Disney that the time frame and resort are popular, and they won't offer promotions any more because they don't need to. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

DisneyRoy

I just checked my dates (Dec. 12th-24th) today to see what the rates are doing and EVERYTHING is booked? Are all these people booking in anticipation of the free dining promotion? Three days ago there were still plenty of rooms open for these dates. We get the free dining every year, and we were never allowed to modify an existing reservation with a promotion, only cancel and make a new one. Sooo, when free dining comes out, all these people will be on the phone trying to change their res.? Some of the bloggers I follow have said that booking early only tells Disney that the time frame and resort are popular, and they won't offer promotions any more because they don't need to. Any thoughts?

That is what people do. Book ahead, and then just update the current reservation to get the dining promo. We have done that in the past as well. No cancellation needed. Just update. But yes....when free dining comes out the phones will be jam packed to the gills with people trying to call and change to get the free dining. I have heard stories of people (and TA's) waiting on hold for 6 hours+ on free dining day. It's crazy. And yes...if the resort is already booked, it tells Disney that is a popular resort at a popular time and fewer dining promos are available. So while people get reservations ahead to try and sneak into a free dining promo, all it really does is lessen the number of promos available for everyone.

Upvote 0
Something I have noticed that seems strange...
If I try to book for something (let's say CBR) for dates in Sept that I am interested in (let's say Sept 8 to Sept15) the website won't show availability. However, if I shorten that to Sept 8 to Sept 14, it WILL show availability. THEN, if I search for Sept 14 to Sept 15, it will show availability. At that point, haven't I verified that there is availability from Sept 8 to 15? Yet, if I put in the whole span, it will tell me it's not available.

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

That is what people do. Book ahead, and then just update the current reservation to get the dining promo. We have done that in the past as well. No cancellation needed. Just update. But yes....when free dining comes out the phones will be jam packed to the gills with people trying to call and change to get the free dining. I have heard stories of people (and TA's) waiting on hold for 6 hours+ on free dining day. It's crazy. And yes...if the resort is already booked, it tells Disney that is a popular resort at a popular time and fewer dining promos are available. So while people get reservations ahead to try and sneak into a free dining promo, all it really does is lessen the number of promos available for everyone.
Thank you so much for responding! So, if I hadn't made my reservation yet, do you think there is any hope?

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

Well, I just checked again and all the resorts have availability again, so maybe it was a glitch? Not withstanding my heart attack, I wanted to report back and let everyone know this strange occurrence was just that.... a strange occurrence. Now that my blood pressure has resumed it's normal range, I will continue my vigil and trip planning. Thank you to everyone!

Upvote 0

Tyaloo

I don't book until free dining is announced (IF it is). I always hear people saying that if the hotels have high occupancy, then Disney could choose to NOT offer free dining because they don't need too - their hotels are already all booked up!

Remember, the point of the free dining offer is to fill hotel rooms - if there is no need to fill the rooms because everybody already booked, there is no need to give the offer.

Makes sense to me, so I don't book ahead. Just my two cents, I may be wrong!

Upvote 0

mitchk

I don't book until free dining is announced (IF it is). I always hear people saying that if the hotels have high occupancy, then Disney could choose to NOT offer free dining because they don't need too - their hotels are already all booked up!

Remember, the point of the free dining offer is to fill hotel rooms - if there is no need to fill the rooms because everybody already booked, there is no need to give the offer.

Makes sense to me, so I don't book ahead. Just my two cents, I may be wrong!

With the Internet today it's very easy for people to find out when the free dining is going to be released I have told several people on here what the dates are, only to be told I didn't know what I was talking about but we shall see .... free dining May 30 through June 6 then June 30 through July 5 then August 11 through September 9 no free dining in October or November but there is a time in December I've already said when but I won't again because I'm never believed

Upvote 0

Tyaloo

With the Internet today it's very easy for people to find out when the free dining is going to be released I have told several people on here what the dates are, only to be told I didn't know what I was talking about but we shall see .... free dining May 30 through June 6 then June 30 through July 5 then August 11 through September 9 no free dining in October or November but there is a time in December I've already said when but I won't again because I'm never believed

@mitchk
thank you kindly! I was trying to find your post about December, but can't seem to find it. Can you say that one more time, what the Dec dates are? I'm listening :) and I think you're on the right track!

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

I will believe you. I am going in December and would love your advice on the free dining dates! So far, I'm looking at Dec. 10th-24th. But, I can be flexible with those dates if they don't work for the promo. Any thoughts? Pleeeeeaaaaase?

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

Well I know from a very reliable source that the dates you just mentioned are the dates that were put out in the bounce back not the fall free dining. The Fall is said to include November dates but not October, the dates are pretty much similar to last years dates and all I can say is the release date is rumored to be soon.

Upvote 0

mitchk

Well I know from a very reliable source that the dates you just mentioned are the dates that were put out in the bounce back not the fall free dining. The Fall is said to include November dates but not October, the dates are pretty much similar to last years dates and all I can say is the release date is rumored to be soon.

Why, yes the release date will be within the next 15 days.... and late Nov. is still a possibility ;). I strictly wanted to give out dates that were cemented in stone :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom