Freaking out about flying

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Hi, I am planning my trip for next week, and I overlooked one very important detail. I hate flying!!! I freak out. To make a long story short, I was on a plan that had some major issues, so I hate flying now. My sister uses some type of prescribed drug from her dr to eliviate stress during flight, but she has a nasty headache the next day from it. I was wondering if anyone has these same issues and if you do, what does your DR perscribe you that has little to no side effects? Hope this is okay to ask this question here. Thanks

DisneyPhD

Woody13 said:
I second the advice concerning Lorazepam. I'm not afraid to fly, but major hurricanes coming my way cause me a lot of anxiety. When hurricane Dennis came to visit us this year, an ER doctor prescribed some Lorazepam for me and it did the trick. After taking the drug, everything was "Hakuna Matata".

My regular doctor prescribed an additional 15 tablets for me just in case for future use. Haven't had to touch them but it's reassuring to know I have them available if needed.

Back in my days of working at a mental health clinic, we would give ativan to those very aggiated and potentailly dangerous patients. 15 min later they were like....."what was the problem again?" However this doesn't help when there really is a problem and the meds were off and nothing is done to make it better. :lol:

OP, I have an idea for you, come dancing with us.........:animwink:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=1384536#post1384536

Upvote 0

::BEN::

This may help person with fear of flying..

Hi all, I am new to wdwmagic.com and this is my first post so I hope it works right!

I am coming over from England in May for the International College Program and am also anxious about the long-haul flight, but I found a website that eases any fears one may have..

try visiting http://www.askcaptainlim.com/

Just thought I would share it in this thread!

I hope this helps, best of luck for the flight

::BEN::

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

As a few others have stated, I would recommend Xanex. I had a friend who is scared of flying but once she popped 1 or 2 she was o.k. But of course your doctor will know whats best for you.

Upvote 0

righttrack

First and foremost, relax. I second Calms Forte as an herbal supplement that does work. Consider what it is that bothers you about flying. For me, its a loss of control. I prefer to drive and be in control at all times. Realistically, flying is the only way for me to get to WDW. I focus on my trip, not the flight, and take a cocktail or two on the plane if I need it.

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hi all!
My fear of flying originated when the puddle hopper I was on suddenly went into a nose dive (it wasn't an exact nose dive, but not far off), the alarms in the plane were screaming, and the pilots (it was just like 12 passengers, and the pilots so you were basically sitting behind them) rampaging through their manuals trying to figure out what went wrong. A lady behind me (about 75 years or so) fainted and another lady was praying with her Rosary. After diving for a minute or so, the alarm came off and then we landed at Boston Airport. When the pilot got off the plane he threw up :hurl:. The other pilot stood at the plane door and greeted everyone as they ran off the plane. Supposivly there was a hole somewhere in the cockpit or somthing like that. That is why I now hate flying.

I am not sure how to figure out how to solve this problem in my mind, but many of the responses are helping me to deal with it. The tidbit concerning the turbulence is especially helpful to know. I am flying out of NH and the turbulence report is usually always moderate to severe until we leave the DC area than it can vary. The other part that makes me feel better is the fact that odds are that a deadly car wreck is more likely than a plane crash.

I wouldn't be so worried if it was just me, but it is my babies (two kids), and my husband.

I am going to try the Zantex (sp?). I will take the advice and do a test run to make sure it suits me okay.

It is nice to hear that others have some of the same fears. It makes me feel normal.

Upvote 0

miles1

I don't have any anxiety about flying, even after one REALLY bad experience on Aloha air several years ago. What really kills me is the pressure in my ears, which will not "pop" like everyone elses. Landing is excruciating, and then I am nearly deaf for several hours, sometimes until the next day.

I've tried just about everything: gum, Earplanes, blowing my nose repeatedly, etc.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions.

Upvote 0

Woody13

miles1 said:
I don't have any anxiety about flying, even after one REALLY bad experience on Aloha air several years ago. What really kills me is the pressure in my ears, which will not "pop" like everyone elses. Landing is excruciating, and then I am nearly deaf for several hours, sometimes until the next day.

I've tried just about everything: gum, Earplanes, blowing my nose repeatedly, etc.

Have an ENT doctor check for heavy wax in your ears.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
miles1 said:

I find clamping my nose shut and blowing very hard helps me. There isn't a doctor in the world who would recommend this as a solution... ear drums are fragile things :hammer:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

napnet said:
I only took 2 cause im 6'2" 280... one did very little to me :) I'm extremly scared of flying too. My wife loves it and WANTS turbulance. she is insane. Either way i am the worst person to fly with because i dont want to be touched or talked to or open my eyes until we land. Either way the xanax put me to sleep more than made me less anxious. I didnt yack the whole flight as well... a first for me :)

You can sit next to me! I get on the plane, put on my seat belt and then please don't look at me, talk to me or touch me until the plane is on the ground and no longer moving! :eek:

Upvote 0

pisco

moriah said:
Hi all!
My fear of flying originated when the puddle hopper I was on suddenly went into a nose dive (it wasn't an exact nose dive, but not far off), the alarms in the plane were screaming, and the pilots (it was just like 12 passengers, and the pilots so you were basically sitting behind them) rampaging through their manuals trying to figure out what went wrong. A lady behind me (about 75 years or so) fainted and another lady was praying with her Rosary. After diving for a minute or so, the alarm came off and then we landed at Boston Airport. When the pilot got off the plane he threw up :hurl:. The other pilot stood at the plane door and greeted everyone as they ran off the plane. Supposivly there was a hole somewhere in the cockpit or somthing like that. That is why I now hate flying.

I am not sure how to figure out how to solve this problem in my mind, but many of the responses are helping me to deal with it. The tidbit concerning the turbulence is especially helpful to know. I am flying out of NH and the turbulence report is usually always moderate to severe until we leave the DC area than it can vary. The other part that makes me feel better is the fact that odds are that a deadly car wreck is more likely than a plane crash.

I wouldn't be so worried if it was just me, but it is my babies (two kids), and my husband.

I am going to try the Zantex (sp?). I will take the advice and do a test run to make sure it suits me okay.

It is nice to hear that others have some of the same fears. It makes me feel normal.

After the experience you had you should feel even safer. I say this because the statistical likelyhood of you ever experiencing anything like that on a plane again is probably an order of magnitude less than the likelyhood of winning the lottery 5 times in a row! :)

Also keep in mind that the statitics for crashes is dramatically higher for small planes that it is for commercial airliners. Stay off of the puddle jumpers and you should never experience anything worse than a little turbulence and the occasional snippy flight attendant. :lol:

Upvote 0

blackerbys17

Well, it seems you are on the right path to dealing with your fear of flying. Definately concentrate on the safety statistics because you are indeed safer in a plane than you are in a car, especially on a long trip like that were a lot of people on the road will have been driving for days and suffering from some degree of fatigue. These are people I do NOT want to be on the road with!

Secondly, I also second the use of SOMETHING to help calm your nerves while flying. Indeed, Xanax (that's how you spell it by the way) works wonders, especially when you only take it every now and then for high anxiety situations. If you want something a little milder, you may want to ask for Tranzene. It is in the same class of drugs as Xanax but slightly milder. Most people don't feel any side effects from these except for feeling sleepy, which is a good thing when you are flying! For me, it s like having 2-3 glasses of wine. It is that kind of relaxed time for a nap kind of feeling. I do suggest taking one before you leave your house for the airport (if you live within an hour from the airport) to give it time to take effect. And it is usually fine to take another right before your flight if you are still feeling quite anxious. (Which you probably won't.) Of course, discuss this with your Dr. because only he or she knows what is right for you and what dosage to presecribe.

If you want to go the natural route, there are herbal supplements that can help thought most of them need time to build up in your system to work effectively. St. John's Wort is great but needs about 2 weeks before you start feeling it's effects. There is a great herbal supplement out there called Seredyn that works right away, within an hour of taking it and is very effective. I believe they have a website at www.seredyn.com

And finally, I'm no Dr. but I do have a degree in Psychology and I believe in behavioral therapy. In your case, I would suggest visualizations to help you deal with your fear of flying.

This is how you do it: First, imagine a place or situation that you find totally relaxing. It could be real or fictional as long as it is a place or situation that brings a smile to your face and relaxes you when you think of it. (For me, I think of a desserted beach at sunset with the sound of waves slowly brushing up against the shore.) Think about this place for at least 5 minutes. Truly imagine you are there. What do you hear? What do you feel? What do you see? Are there any smells? Try to imagine all your senses immersed in this place. Once again, for me, I feel the warm sand beneath me. I hear the seagulls and the waves. I can smell the ocean spray in the air and feel a warm breeze on my skin. This helps to make this a very real place for you. We'll call this your "happy place". It is a place you should think of and focus on whenever you feel anxious or scared.

Next, take a pretend trip in your mind. Find a quite place in your home and dedicate at least 10 minutes to this activity. You should be sitting in a comfortable chair or lying in bed while propped up with pillows. Whichever is most relaxing for you. Next, imagine that it is the day of your trip. Everything is packed and ready to go and you are leaving your home in plenty of time to get to the airport on time. Go through everything you would normally do while at the airport. Imagine yourself checking your luggage in, getting your boarding pass and arriving at the gate. Then boarding the plane and finding a seat for yourself. Imagine the excitement you'll feel at knowing that you'll soon be at the happiest place on Earth. Then imagine yourself relaxed and calm as the plane gently takes off and then the view from the plane window with big, billowy, puffy white clouds and how very peaceful it looks from up here. How gorgeous and serene it is. Next, before you know, it is time to land and be on your way to start your much deserved vacation. Imagine yourself at the airport in Orlando and how very happy you are to be here and how proud you feel of yourself for getting here and having a great time doing so.

All of the above scenarios are just an idea, you can imagine it any way you wish. The point is that whatever you imagine should be pleasant thoughts and imagery. If at any point during the visualization you feel anxious, go to the happy place that you have created for yourself and spend a few minutes back there, breathing deeply and sloooowly and enjoying the relaxation you feel when you are there, only returning to the trip visualization if you feel comfortable. If you do this every night until the day of your trip you will feel much more prepared to take the trip because in essence, your mind has been getting used to it for days by taking the pretend flight. (Trust me, it works!)
This is a common method used in desensitizing (making less sensitive) people who have some sort of fear or anxiety.

Try these methods and I'm sure you will have a great time. Just remember, you are going to do something FUN and enjoy your vacation!:wave:

Upvote 0

MissM

miles1 said:

I've only flown twice - once to get to my destination and once to get back - in my life. I was like 13 so it was 15 years ago. I don't pressurize to the plane either. No matter what I do. And yeah, I tried it all and I even took dramamine. I get servere vertigo from the pressure conflict and I throw up. It's was 2.5 hours of hell for me. My problem stems from ear infections as a child. I have a very screwy inner ear. It's not wax either.

I can't imagine ever being able to force myself onto a plane again. That level of sickness isn't something I'd ever want to experience again. Good luck finding a solution because everything anyone's ever told me was the obvious stuff that didn't help. (i.e. gum, yawning, decongestant, etc.) So I feel your pain.
-m

Upvote 0

hcswingfield

I don't like to take any drugs that I don't already have to, so I deal with my fear of flying by making sure I have a really gripping page-turner of a book to read. Nothing to hoity-toity or "literature", just something that I can completely immerse myself into and not think about what is going on around me. Stephen King books usually work really well. I know they are scary, but the "scary" isn't about flying, so it takes my mind off that fear.

As far as the ear thing goes, yawning works for me.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

MissM said:
Good luck finding a solution because everything anyone's ever told me was the obvious stuff that didn't help. (i.e. gum, yawning, decongestant, etc.) So I feel your pain.
-m

Hold your nose, close your mouth and blow. Works like a champ unless you have a bad headcold at the same time. If so, well, you're just gonna have to bear it. Happened last weekend to me. One ear was closed up for a day. :lol:

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

wannab@dis said:
Hold your nose, close your mouth and blow. Works like a champ unless you have a bad headcold at the same time. If so, well, you're just gonna have to bear it. Happened last weekend to me. One ear was closed up for a day. :lol:
I sometimes have the same problem (and seem to be cursed with constantly flying with a slight headcold that explodes when I land!! :lol: ) but I also find that putting my head between my legs while I block my nose and blow can also help me.

Plus, if you don't mind looking a little goofy, you can put cups around your ears (plastic courtesy cups from the plane work just fine) and hold them there during landing - it may help to pressurize your ears...

Good luck to everyone who is nervous about their upcoming flights!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

tikiman

pisco said:
Another "unhappy flier" here. I would recommend Ativan (lorezpam). It is a fairly mild but very effective anti-anxiety medicine that you can take for a couple of days before and during the flight. I just completed to 9 hour flights within a week and was actually able to sleep and enjoy a few movies on the flights with these meds.

Also, if at all possible try to book your flight on a larger aircraft. Both of the 9 hour flights were on 777s and they were the smoothest flights I have been on in a long time. It seems that the larger planes are less susceptible to turbulence than smaller planes, which makes for a far less nerve wracking flight in my experience.

The last bit of advice I can offer is from my father-in-law, who is a retired airline captain. Just try to remember that no plane has ever crashed because of turbulence. It is just not possible. If there was an upper air disturbance strong enough to put a plane at risk, both the Air Traffic Controllers and the onboard doppler systems would detect it and the flight would be redirected to avoid it. If fact, they will typically reroute planes to avoid most turbulence if possible to provide a more pleasant experience for the passengers. If you do hit some turbulence just remember that it is nothing more than "potholes in the sky" (my father-in-law's description).

Good luck with the flight and just keep telling yourself that it is worth it to get to WDW! :)

I love to fly the 777. I know some engineers who worked on the design using the same program we use to design and stress test parts for NASA and the military. That plane was designed better than anything I have seen and any chance I can book a 777 I do even if it costs more. It ranks #1 on safest planes. I refuse to fly a 737. Too many incidents that the investigations never figured out what went wrong. Don’t even get me started on Air bus designs.

The bottom line is that statistically you would have to fly 24 hours a day for 400 years to be guaranteed to be on a fatal crash on a commercial plane.

Upvote 0

Woody13

lawyergirl77 said:
Plus, if you don't mind looking a little goofy, you can put cups around your ears (plastic courtesy cups from the plane work just fine) and hold them there during landing - it may help to pressurize your ears...
I think that would work for anxiety too. I know that after seeing you with those plastic cups on your ears, I would be laughing so hard that any fear of flying would be overcome by the amusement! :wave:

Upvote 0

Holly

Without reading all the answers (I still need more coffee) I'm going to jump in here and say I'm the most horrible flyer. Ever. Swear.

I take Ativan. My doc prescribes the lowest possible dose - I take one a 1/2 an hour before I get on the plane. One when I get on. And then depending on how long the flight is, possibly one more in flight.

Yes, I'm a medicated flyer. :lookaroun :lookaroun But I'm a horrible HORRIBLE unmedicated flyer .... panic attacks, I want to jump off the plane, general freaking out.

Ativan doesn't really leave me with any side effects that stay for a while - maybe a little grogginess up to two hours after the flight, but that's about it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom