fp+ system is down.

jlsHouston

You know guys, I wonder if this was a severe DDOS on major networks..
the entire STEAM network went down as well 5-7 hours ago, and just recovered an hour or so.
completely inaccessible (only the steam storefront was available but nothing else worked, not even the forums).

is disney hosted by the akamai or Amazon cloud network by any chance?

Well if they are on the same cloud network, Disney started it and it cratered everyone else on the cloud. Of course I have no real clue what you mean, but of the things that I know nothing about on, but I am right, this qualifies.

jlsHouston

People really need to stop believing things just because it sounds like it might fit. There is zero connecting any of the events listed here except pure circumstance.

Okay no way, and you know I would defer to your engineer's take on a situation 99.9% of time, but the website cratered an hour after it hit social media about FP+ available for 7DMT. It is not unheard of hackers doing that to websites they target to bring down. If your system is geared for so many pings per second or minute or whatever and it gets way past what it is spec'd for..it can crash.
I can take 2 and 2 and get just about 4 coincidentally. Add that to all the glickey moments in the website anyways with MM+, and it is obvious, the program couldn't absorb the hits it was taking. You know the website and the software they have been writing and installing and implementing and tweaking and testing for how many years now...has issues. You know it and I know you know it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay no way, and you know I would defer to your engineer's take on a situation 99.9% of time, but the website cratered an hour after it hit social media about FP+ available for 7DMT. It is not unheard of hackers doing that to websites they target to bring down.

So now we are throwing hackers into the mix now too?

Anonymous targeting the evil 1%er iger during his most exposed moment??

The website is different from what the park uses. There are elements that might be common... Such as the db... But everyone is just GUESSING here and then going on as if it were fact.

A software change pushed overnight with the mine coaster update is just as likely the source of the failure as demand on the web. We can't tell from here without Disney telling us.

Imagine how much of a laugh the people in the know have when they read threads like this with all the experts knowing exactly what happened...

jlsHouston

So now we are throwing hackers into the mix now too?

Anonymous targeting the evil 1%er iger during his most exposed moment??

The website is different from what the park uses. There are elements that might be common... Such as the db... But everyone is just GUESSING here and then going on as if it were fact.

A software change pushed overnight with the mine coaster update is just as likely the source of the failure as demand on the web. We can't tell from here without Disney telling us.

Imagine how much of a laugh the people in the know have when they read threads like this with all the experts knowing exactly what happened...

Yes or they are cringing when their website gets compared to the Affordable Care Act one when it was rolled out. Either way, either the cloud that includes the FP stuff couldn't handle the volume that hit it between 7 and 9 am, or the software change they pushed overnight failed due to whatever. Failure is failure. Garbage in garbage out. The FP stuff cratered for hours on MDE and even at the parks they could not do a thing about FP's until IT went in and fixed everything
I wouldn't wish Anonymous on Iger, I care about WDW.

Cesar R M

Yes or they are cringing when their website gets compared to the Affordable Care Act one when it was rolled out. Either way, either the cloud that includes the FP stuff couldn't handle the volume that hit it between 7 and 9 am, or the software change they pushed overnight failed due to whatever. Failure is failure. Garbage in garbage out. The FP stuff cratered for hours on MDE and even at the parks they could not do a thing about FP's until IT went in and fixed everything
I wouldn't wish Anonymous on Iger, I care about WDW.
WDW and Disney websites might have anti DDOS protections similar to cloudflare tech.
That of course means nothing if the site crashes from inside.

Cesar R M

Oh yah you had mentioned that, something Amazon is on too? And they were experiencing crashes yesterday?
a lot of websites hire this method of cloudflare to protect their networks.
Akamai networks and Amazon cloud system uses this method as well (distributing the load into multiple servers in multiple datacenters-zones worldwide)
Cloudflare acts sorta-like a proxy in a cloud for the source server..

While they have protections and prevent attacks from outside, errors from inside are sometimes catastrophic (like the total Amazon network failure due of a single cascade event in one of their major routers.. or similar on how Microsoft Cloud lost a huge chunk of data at the cost of many business)

I cant say how WDW's network system is.. but I suspect they are not in any way small..

Anyway, I still found it curious that STEAM network (the steamnetwork, valve and steampowered login systems, main systems and game systems) went down a couple hours after WDW's FP+ system went down.
Could be related or most probably not.
As both had new offers that attracted thousands of people. (WDW offering 7DMTR vs Steam's Discount Week for Activision.. including a lot of very popular games.. like the Call of Duty and Transformers games)

jlsHouston

a lot of websites hire this method of cloudflare to protect their networks.
Akamai networks and Amazon cloud system uses this method as well (distributing the load into multiple servers in multiple datacenters-zones worldwide)
Cloudflare acts sorta-like a proxy in a cloud for the source server..

While they have protections and prevent attacks from outside, errors from inside are sometimes catastrophic (like the total Amazon network failure due of a single cascade event in one of their major routers.. or similar on how Microsoft Cloud lost a huge chunk of data at the cost of many business)

I cant say how WDW's network system is.. but I suspect they are not in any way small..

Anyway, I still found it curious that STEAM network (the steamnetwork, valve and steampowered login systems, main systems and game systems) went down a couple hours after WDW's FP+ system went down.
Could be related or most probably not.
As both had new offers that attracted thousands of people. (WDW offering 7DMTR vs Steam's Discount Week for Activision.. including a lot of very popular games.. like the Call of Duty and Transformers games)

Interesting ....this stuff is fascinating but so far over my head. Well coincidentally or parallel or independent, yes it does make you wonder.
Personally I think Disneys was directly related to the massive hits the FP+ cloud or whatever it's called was taking in so short a time period yesterday morning. As @flynnibus also pointed out it could also have been related changes Disney had uploaded either for the new ride addition or something else.
I haven't been overly fond of the new website since it replaced the old, but here lately I've had less issues..until Thursday of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom