FP rides to reserve with kids

blobula

Original Poster
Which rides at Animal Kingdom and MK should I be trying to book for my family and kids to ride together who are 3 and 5?

Epcot I know the Frozem ride is a priority. Other than that I’m unsure.

Thank you!

exnihlio13

So first advice...don't take fastpasses for granted. they are amazing..especially with younger kids. Being able to walk right on a ride using fastpass rather than waiting 30-90 minutes is pretty huge. That being said it's worth looking up fastpass+ articles along with some ride descriptions to figure out what will work best for your gang. When we went last year for the first time being able to skip 60-90 minute queues due to having booked fastpass was amazing. I felt like I was cheating in a video game.
Also worth noting that once you use your 3 fastpasses (as in the moment you've scanned in for your 3rd) you can then book single fastpasses throughout the rest of the day using the Disney app. As soon as you check in you can then book another. it's a good way to snag some afternoon passes on the fly. We managed to ride Toy Story mania a 2nd time last year and managed to skip a 180 minute standby line.

A lot of the Coaster/Thrill rides also have single rider options which is practically a fastapass. So as long as the adult don't mind not riding together then it's a good way to get some thrill rides in without having to use fastpasses. Otherwise the Rider Switch is a great option (see below for Flight of Passage)

Magic Kingdom:

Peter Pans flight is super popular and very kid friendly. Also a *super* short ride but really neat from a practical effect standpoint.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train depending on their tolerance for kiddie coaster. The sucker moves pretty good on the first drop. My 7 and 10 year old were quite shocked (and we have the Disney ride picture to prove it) and it hits some pretty fast turns. If you think they'd be ok with that though it's a good right with great queuing and a nice middle section through the mines. Also likely top 5 in popularity.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin might also be good for the family. Hard to say if you for sure need to use a fastpass but again..if it gets you into the ride 30 minutes sooner right before eating lunch then it's worth doing.

Jungle Cruise is also supposed to a fun classic. Again..fastpassable to skip moderate wait times and to help your scheduling.

Animal Kingdom:
Flight of Passage
is easily THE most popular ride at Disneyworld. Your kiddos aren't likely old enough to ride but you could do Rider Switch with it and each take turns. if your 5 year old is big enough (and has interest) they'd have the opportunity to ride twice. Cool thing about Rider Switch is when you ask for it they basically give you a paper fastpass and that the 2nd parent can use ANYTIME the rest of the day. So you could even come back later in the evening and use it then.

Based on younger kids River Journey would likely be fun for them. Again..supposed to be short but pretty neat but it seems a little easier to grab fastpasses through the day but if you want to guarantee a fastpass that works to your schedule it's worth booking early.
Apparently River Journey is very easy to walk on to at Rope Drop (i.e. park opening) since everyone is beelining to Flight of Passage so you might be able to skip Fastpassing it if you don't mind being there when the park opens. Plus the Pandora area is supposed to be pretty amazing but bear in mind it will also easily be the busiest area of the park in the morning. If you walk past it you'll have much of Animal Kingdom to yourselves.

Kilimanjaro Safaris gets really popular and apparently the best times are mid-morning in order to see the most active animals.
When it rolls to the afternoon if it's sunny a lot will hide in shadey less visible areas. So grabbing a 10-ish spot would likely be optimal. Pretty great safari. We plan on doing it again

Kali River Rapids might also be good if it's a hot day (depending on the kids' tolerance for getting wet) and tends to fill up quick.
Even if it just saves you 20-30 minutes with a 3-5 year old that could be the difference between a melt down or everyone going into lunch refreshed.

And a sidenote that you don't need to fastpass: be sure and catch one of the Festival of the Lion King shows. Pretty awesome and the theatre is big enough that you can likely walk on. If you fastpass it'll be a shorter line and you get to seats a bit quicker.

And depending on when you're going there's a new show with Russel and Dug from the movie Up! called UP! A Great Bird Adventure starting in late April:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/entertainment/animal-kingdom/up-great-bird-adventure/

Have fun!

Last edited:

exnihlio13

Wow, thanks for all the information!

No prob. I've been there and the fastpass system is a real good "hack" when you have kids in tow. Mine were 7 and 10 but even then having that fast queue was a pretty amazing option to have. With a 3 and 5 year old I imagine it'd be a HUGE benefit if you can plan it all ahead. Having the 1 hour window on arrival really helps too.

blobula

Original Poster
This is my kids first time there so I'm pretty sure there will be some apprehension when we first arrive and they may not warm up to the rides until later in the day.

exnihlio13

That's where that Rider Switch program can really bail you out. Worth looking into the specs though as I think you need to ask for it *as* you enter the ride. Animal Kingdom has got SO much stuff you don't need to lineup for (i.e. animal enclosures) so it's a pretty great park for that age.
Another tip...It's Tough to Be A Bug went over real poorly with my kids. It seems like a smart get since it's air conditioned and in a seated theater but it's meant to make you feel like a bug and bugs kinda get their revenge. It had some good parts but for the most part they hated it (and these are kids that watch Marvel movies in the theatre)
They try and do a 4d thing with sensations of bugs at the back of your legs, stuff dropping from the ceiling and a bee stinger to the small of some peoples backs at one point (my 10 year olds. he was mighty ticked off). Lots of lights out situations with Hopper trying to gas you. My 7 and 10 year old pretty much hated it. I can't imagine many 3-5 year olds enjoying it. Likely real avoidable unless they'd like that sort of "theatre coming alive and they're gonna get us" kinda thing.

blobula

Original Poster
That's where that Rider Switch program can really bail you out. Worth looking into the specs though as I think you need to ask for it *as* you enter the ride. Animal Kingdom has got SO much stuff you don't need to lineup for (i.e. animal enclosures) so it's a pretty great park for that age.
Another tip...It's Tough to Be A Bug went over real poorly with my kids. It seems like a smart get since it's air conditioned and in a seated theater but it's meant to make you feel like a bug and bugs kinda get their revenge. It had some good parts but for the most part they hated it (and these are kids that watch Marvel movies in the theatre)
They try and do a 4d thing with sensations of bugs at the back of your legs, stuff dropping from the ceiling and a bee stinger to the small of some peoples backs at one point (my 10 year olds. he was mighty ticked off). Lots of lights out situations with Hopper trying to gas you. My 7 and 10 year old pretty much hated it. I can't imagine many 3-5 year olds enjoying it. Likely real avoidable unless they'd like that sort of "theatre coming alive and they're gonna get us" kinda thing.

Haha, we had some friends go with their children from ages 3 - 10 and they said the same thing about It's Tough To Be A Bug. What about the ride Dinosaur? My kids LOVE dinosaurs right now, but this may be to scary....

exnihlio13

Look up the POV on youtube to judge but it might be (didn't try it last trip)
It's got some drops and spins and Dinosaurs coming at you and the science officer freaking out.
We even will sometimes show our two the POV video of the ride (even though it's spoiler-ey) if we think there may be a question mark as to if they'd like it or just tolerate it.
The part I really dug about Disney with our two was the amount of "shows" where you sat in a theatre and got to enjoy a show without waiting in line for ages. As well as all the street performances and the like. There's lots to see and do outside of the proper "rides". Especially at Animal Kingdom.
They may enjoy this at free activity at Animal Kingdom too (typically just over the first bridge)
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/attractions/animal-kingdom/wilderness-explorers/
Gave a good excuse to explore and check out areas where the Wilderness Explorer signs were. My kids filled about 1/2 their guides and plan to bring them back this May to complete the rest.

DisneyDaver

My 6 year old nephew loved it, but his 4 year brother had to leave the theater mid-show because he was terrified. I will likely avoid it when I go with me 3.5 y/o daughter in November unless I think she really understands what it is and wants to go anyway.

exnihlio13

My 6 year old nephew loved it, but his 4 year brother had to leave the theater mid-show because he was terrified. I will likely avoid it when I go with me 3.5 y/o daughter in November unless I think she really understands what it is and wants to go anyway.

In Disney's defense there are LOTS of signs outside describing how it's a dark theatre with scary scenes, etc but with my kids they just didn't like how much they pushed the "now you're the bug and we're going to "make you feel how WE FEEL" (we being the bugs) in the latter half of the show. Although with my 10 year old it was strictly the stinger in the back that *really* ticked him off.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom