FOX deal impact on WDW

MileZXO

Original Poster
As far as new IP in the parks, I would expect something X-Men related and probably not until after adding X-Men to a new MCU film.

As far as Disney adding a 5th park, I believe the issue there would be that the city of Orlando would not support it.

Don't Disney govern their own land there in Orlando? therefor surely the city has no say? i read about this a few years ago in that Disney can pretty much do what they want within reason on their land.

Lord Starwalker

Don't Disney govern their own land there in Orlando? therefor surely the city has no say? i read about this a few years ago in that Disney can pretty much do what they want within reason on their land.

Disney can do what they want with the land. However, Disney cannot control the population of Orlando. It takes quite a few employees to run each park.

Last edited:

yensid67

While I cannot see a Star Wars Park, I can imagine DHS becoming Star Wars Park in the end. Disney has soo many brands that it could build a new MovieLand Park and incorporate all the different brands.

MileZXO

Original Poster
Personally i think DHS will become a gateway citywalk style area but with misc attractions/rides but mainly a gateway and crowd control method for TSL and GE which i can see only expanding.

then a 5th gate for Marvel if/when that ever happens. (they could do much more with it than Star Wars thanks to Rathgar, Wakanda, New York etc - i can imagine it being laid out a little bit like Magic Kingdom / World Showcase with different worlds.

Would be interesting to also see some kind of FOX presence in Animal Kingdom though, Planet Of The Apes themed area would be incredible and only needs to be subtle.

Ice Age would be a big one and could be educational.

as much as it seems a stretch, im sure that Avatar being at Animal Kingdom was once thought the same.

Cmdr_Crimson

Ice Age would be a big one and could be educational.

There are a few Ice Age based attractions out there....
QL_20th_Century_Fox_World_-_Ice_Age.jpg
44283.800.jpg

MattB83

Hate to run everyone’s fun but Disney doesn’t have Fox quite in the bag yet. They need to pass regulatory bridges with the government. Also in the news is that Comcast is bidding again and raising it even higher. If the AT&T and Time Warner deal passes regulation Fox might have a higher confidence in a Fox Comcast deal passing as well. Disney definitely still has the advantage in the situation and there is still a great chance this can happen but it’s not 100%. There still is a chance we might be seeing these properties represented at Universal Orlando versus Walt Disney World. Anything can happen and the Murdoch’s do love money and might be willing to jump ship from Disney if Comcast sets the right price.

nitstalker

I would have to agree that the Fox deal is not in the bag just yet. Regulatory approval is likely going to be an issue - especially given Disney's and Bob Iger's very public left political leanings. The Republican controlled administration will likely fuss over it.

My biggest worry is what D is going to do with Fox's catalog. D will not let any movie in their catalog to be played in a theater (obviously except current releases.) Fox has one of the largest classic movie catalogs that are a staple of historic movie houses. Cutting off that catalog would be crushing to classic movie nights and keeping these historic theaters running.

nitstalker

I had really wished that D would have done the Star Wars park in Orlando and a Marvel park in Anaheim (where the Universal licensing deal is not an issue) No need for identical SW park on both coasts. It would give reason to visit both parks. Just like Anaheim has Cars land and Orlando has Toy Story land.

I too am not a fan of this new theory of every ride has to have an IP attached to it. Look at the history of DL and WDW. How many rides have been around for generations with no IP - or have become their own IP. How many rides have become 'meh' after a hand full of years just because the IP has fallen out of popularity.

Phantom Mickey

Just like I think injecting IP in to every ride is silly. What happens when it isn't popular anymore? Just look at what happened to Alien encounter with stitch. It was a mediocre attraction, the IP became less popular, and people became less willing to endure it. Disney would end up in a situation like Universal, constantly spending capex to refresh attractions based on popularity. Not everything can be like Star Tours with enduring fun and cheap updates.

Everytime I went to Alien Encounter, there was a line to get in. It was very popular and in my opinion was fitting for Tomorrowland. I don't understand why if DISNEY is jumping on the IP wagon, then why did they not go with the original plan and use the Alien creature from the movie ALIEN??
The attraction was absolutely for adults, given the content of the theme but the set up, the stage and the effects were first rate.

AE fell when an actor got into trouble when getting involved with younger humans so they pulled the whole show to keep the DISNEY IMAGE out of the highlight, and dropped in the kiddie show which came no where near decent adult entertainment as AE did.

Star Wars is getting a rebirth after what, over 40 years. Disney can absolutely make things great for entertaiment but you have to wonder how long a show like that will last. I don't see StarWarsLand as a separate park but as part of a larger park, the fit is good and will be easy to replace when the popularity cools off.
As we are seeing with DisneyMGM Studios, it is hard to reserrect a failing park in its entirety. Once you have lost the themeing, the idea begins to fade.

danyoung56

AE fell when an actor got into trouble when getting involved with younger humans so they pulled the whole show to keep the DISNEY IMAGE out of the highlight, and dropped in the kiddie show which came no where near decent adult entertainment as AE did.

What is your source for this? 1) I hadn't heard a thing about it, and 2) there are no actors in the AE show.

nitstalker

What is your source for this? 1) I hadn't heard a thing about it, and 2) there are no actors in the AE show.

I would imagine Phantom is talking about Jeffrey Jones' legal problems about a year before the ride closed. He was one of the actors in the preshow video. I highly doubt that was the reason they closed the ride - It had already fallen out of favor before then anyway. Especially since all they would have to do is replace the guy in the video.

imperius

As far as new IP in the parks, I would expect something X-Men related and probably not until after adding X-Men to a new MCU film.

As far as Disney adding a 5th park, I believe the issue there would be that the city of Orlando would not support it.
X-men can’t be used by Disney in Orlando.

Cmdr_Crimson

This is a shame, Anastasia is my favorite non-Disney animated movie, and this Russian Pavilion is probably the best looking one that never happened
Te coaster would be a nice addition to Animal Kingdom... right when Chester and Hester is?

Even Ferngully & Once Upon a Forest would have worked as well.....But, since the 90's have died chances are they won't make anything with them at AK....Still tho it would have worked...
51S4HW1D0EL.jpg
59ae57e08858791797d93a035f5856ef.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom