Fort Wilderness

My family and I will be staying at Ft. Wilderness in September with our 3 boys. We were wondering what activities we "should not miss" while we are staying there. We stayed there a couple of years ago for the first time and really did not do anything there because we were more concerned with getting to the parks. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pioneer Hall

The campfire and movie are supposed to be a lot of fun. There are also some paid activities such as carriage rides, hoop dee doo, etc that can be enjoyable. You will be given a guide when you check in that will list everything that you can do during your trip...you're probably best off looking at this and deciding with your kids.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
DisneyInsider gave you the basic run down. One other thing I like to do at Ft Wilderness it to walk the purple bus route at night. I have done this several times and have yet to see less that 1/2 a dozen deer. You will want to bring some flash lights, wear bright clothing, use common sense, yadda, yadda, yadda, but I just love seeing the Disney wildlife.

Upvote 0

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The campfire movie / sing-a-long is something that still gives me the warm fuzzies from childhood. Cant wait to do it with my kids when they are old enough.

I know a lot of folks love the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review and consider it to not be missed. I for some reason hated it as a child and it has tainted me into adulthood, so I have not revisited it. I can't remember why I didn't like it, just that I didnt. I'd trust most folks on here more than me though, dealing with repressed childhood HDDR memories... :shrug:

I did quite enjoy Mickey's Backyard BBQ, but mostly because I had a young one who loved it.

Going down to the beach to catch the Electric Water Pagent at night will always give me a smile. It's pure nostalgia for me though, but even this past trip, watching the pagent cross the water from the bus stops at MK gave me tons of happiness.

If you are into fishing at all, look into their fishing trips, they can be very fun. Same with renting bikes, doing horseback rides, renting boats, etc.

My favorite things to do at Ft. Wilderness is just to slow down. Poking around the resort, maybe picking up something to grill at the trading post, just kind of enjoying life away from the hectic mess that the parks can feel like all the time. I've got a lot nostalgia working for me here, but Ft. Wilderness is truly one of the places that makes me happiest on Earth.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

If you are traveling by auto and can take bikes that would be a good idea. There are basket ball hoops throughout the campground. There is a slide at the main pool and a kiddie splash area. There are so many outdoor activities available. DH and I stayed for 10 days in September and we rented a golf cart and enjoyed just driving around the campground and seeing how things were laid out. We watched the fireworks from MK on the beach (no music) and then the electric light pagent. Take a book, relax... I can't wait until we get there in May :sohappy: it will be a short trip of 6 days but we plan on returning in the fall for a longer trip.

Upvote 0

Saoirse1916

I know a lot of folks love the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review and consider it to not be missed. I for some reason hated it as a child and it has tainted me into adulthood, so I have not revisited it. I can't remember why I didn't like it, just that I didnt. I'd trust most folks on here more than me though, dealing with repressed childhood HDDR memories... :shrug:
That was my thought going into the HDDR that my folks booked for us all -- I did my best to talk them out of it but they insisted my daughter would love it. We all loved it! The food was good, the jokes were corny enough for the kids but they also managed to sprinkle some more subtle stuff for the adults.

Upvote 0

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
That was my thought going into the HDDR that my folks booked for us all -- I did my best to talk them out of it but they insisted my daughter would love it. We all loved it! The food was good, the jokes were corny enough for the kids but they also managed to sprinkle some more subtle stuff for the adults.

I know for sure, when my kids are a bit older, I'll revisit HDDR. I'm too big of a Ft. Wilderness fan to leave something like this up to some odd childhood memory that is keeping me away for now. I have to give it another go in the future. I'm just waiting until the right ages for my kids so that I dont scar them for life as I seem to have been :lol:

Seriously, I'm asking my folks what happened to me there that caused me to never want to set foot in there again.

Upvote 0

20009551sc

Our family has spent many years at FW. We usually go right after the kids get out of school in May. We go then because the northerners are not there yet. The other reason is that the Florida rainy season hasn't started then. We bring bikes so the kids can ride around. For the most part you do share the roads with cars so supervision is suggested. The pool area at the Meadows has been improved and is fun. They do crafts and games at different times there. The camp fire is fun, especially if you like to toast marshmellows. Take the family on a boat ride to the other hotels on the lake and see what they look like. We uaually go for a snack while there. Take the smaller boats that run the hotel loop as the ride is very peaceful. The thing I like most is that it is most relaxing because the pace is slower. No matter what you do they will have fun! Enjoy the time there and have fun!

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

Just thought I would share some photos from what seems to be a favorite spot:

DH in front of our "rig" in the 100 loop, would love to be there now
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32485976@N04/5233903263/sizes/l/in/photostream/
5233903263_32b25a3fc9_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32485976@N04/5128548864/sizes/l/in/photostream/
5128548864_fe5a4f12bc_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32485976@N04/5127940947/sizes/l/in/photostream/

5127940947_99d2bbce6b_b.jpg

Upvote 0

ann0d

RENT A GOLF CART!
My son loved that the best. We would ride around at night (over the holidays the trailers are decorated) look for deer, found lots of them on the road in front of the Hoop De Doo.

Going swimming, the pools aren't crowded! There is also a small gameroom at the big pool. We were lucky also our cabin was near the small pool.

Go to the Hoop De Doo, take the boat over to Magic Kingdom instead of the bus, if you rent a golf cart, you can park it at the Marina for the day.

Go to the campfire one night.

Sit at the beach and watch the fireworks.

I love it there - can you tell! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom