Fort Wilderness

cdevor

Original Poster
We will be at Fort Wilderness for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue one evening and want to give ourselves enough time to explore the area. How far of walk is it to the Wildneress Lodge? Does anyone know of a good site with information regarding Fort Wilderness with maps and activities (also including the Wilderness Lodge).

tigsmom

I'm not sure of the length, but I remember it not being that far.
Its thru the woods so you might not want to do that at night. The boat ride is much nicer.
Check out Deb's site: http://allearsnet.com/

It has so much info, pictures menus, etc. I'm sure your answers will be found here.
The HoopDeeDoo Revue is great fun & the food is yummy. :wave:

tigsmom

Originally posted by donaldduck1967
Actually, it is a bit of a walk to WL from FW. Here is a decent site also

I guess distance is relative. :lol:
It is a hike, but compared to all the WDW walking we do, its not that bad.

mikelan6

I was just looking at an aerial photograph of the resorts and it is a VERY long distance from the Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness. I dont think there is a walkway.

tigsmom

Its not a walkway. Its a path thru the woods. Its used for hiking, jogging, biking, etc. Its nice during the day, but too much in the dark. Most people just use the boat.

From Deb's site:

Fort Wilderness also boasts a Fitness Trail/Bike Path, which begins just past the petting farm. Crossing the road, the paved path begins. It meanders along, running parallel to West Wilderness Road, eventually arriving at Wilderness Lodge. Along the way, the path is shaded by tall pine trees, covered with Spanish Moss. Because the path is shared by pedestrians and cyclists alike, caution must be used for safety. The width of the path, and the lines of sight for users of this delightful course add greatly to making it as safe as it is refreshing.

Wilderness Lodge

The Wilderness Lodge Nature Trail begins behind the lodge at the boat rental area. As with the Swamp Trail at FW Lodge, this path is sandy soil which is very easy on your legs. The trail runs behind the Wilderness Lodge Villas, then turns right and intersects with the Fitness Trail/Jogging Path. A sign indicates that going left will take you to the FW Campground, and going to the right will take you to the bus stop in front of Wilderness Lodge.

Funny, not distance is listed. :confused:

Zack Attack

The walk would be a bit too long. You can take the internal Fort Wilderness buses to the WL. The buses come all the time at the bus stop for Pioneer Hall (Hoop Dee Doo).

cdevor

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the replies.

I found this map
http://home.hiwaay.net/~jlspence/fwrecmap.jpg

and after doing some research, it is about a 3/4 mile to 1 mile walk from Ft. Wilderness to the Wilderness Lodge. Though the boat would be easier, a 15 min. walk through the woods seems like it would be nice, and it is a paved walking trail.

tigsmom

I knew it had to be listed somewhere. Even though I have no problem with the bus system I would avoid it when going from the WL to Fort Wilderness (or vice versa). The boat ride is sooooo much nicer. Just hop on at the dock and settle back. The rides are expecially nice at sunset.

I think the Nature Trail (# 21) is the one we are talking about.

cloudboy

Why havn't they put lights on that path? It would be a nice place to take a walk in the evening, but it is so dark in there you wouldn't want to.

Chefjason1974

we were at the wilderness lodge on no 2003 & went to the campfire at night. The pathways are very very dimly lit. The maps posted on the road were not easily decipherable & the bus service was non existant at that time of night. we wandered around for a while after the campfire then got lost it was about 1 hour before we made it home to Wilderness lodge. If you go stay around the building & marina. The bus stop that takes passengers back to WL is not well marked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom