Fort Wilderness - Requesting a campsite

cslafferty

Original Poster
Staying at the fort for the first time Dec 5-11. Made reservations for a preferred site so I know we’ll be in either loops 100, 200, or 300. Did online check-in through MDE and noticed “room requests.” But they just have drop-down menus to choose from - no where I could see to make specific site requests. Wondering if anyone has made requests for specific sites, how you did it, and if they honored your requests. Thanks!

Cowboy Steve

About the best you can hope for is getting the loop you want... last time we camped at Fort Wilderness they gave us several options within our reservation type. Think about it like as if you wanted a specific room at one of the resorts... the odds that someone staying in the specific room you request will be checking out the day you arrive are pretty slim... but you can usually get the floor or building you want. Same with Fort Wilderness. For our December trip we requested the 300 loop because of it's proximity to the dog park... and they will do what they can to get us in there.

Another issue with the loops is the size of your RV. Because we don't own our own camper yet we are renting one. And because of how far out you have to make reservations we thought a Preferred site would be good enough. Ends up we are renting a 42' fifth wheel with 4 slides... and we would really have to shoehorn it in to some of the Preferred campsites. It's not just the size of your RV, gotta have room for your tow vehicle as well. So have been trying daily to upgrade to Premium for 2 months now... and so far no joy.

This is how pathetic I am. I have actually made a chart showing every campsite in the 100, 200, and 300 loops and what their actual size is. Created that by using pad dimensions listed on a WDW camping fan site, then going on Google Maps and looking at both the overhead satellite shots and the road view of each campsite, and then rated each one by whether or not I think our truck and trailer will fit. I really need a life... 😁

MMFanCipher

You can ask for a loop and they will try to get you in, but it doesn't always work out. Last time we requested the 900 loop and got the 600 loop. We kind of liked the 600 loop better. Also try the Fort Wilderness Sites app. I find it useful.

Lilofan

Staying at the fort for the first time Dec 5-11. Made reservations for a preferred site so I know we’ll be in either loops 100, 200, or 300. Did online check-in through MDE and noticed “room requests.” But they just have drop-down menus to choose from - no where I could see to make specific site requests. Wondering if anyone has made requests for specific sites, how you did it, and if they honored your requests. Thanks!
The FW loops in Dec and Jan are neat. A number of RVs are decked out with Christmas lights and makes great viewing cruising around in a golf cart at night.

Cowboy Steve

The FW loops in Dec and Jan are neat. A number of RVs are decked out with Christmas lights and makes great viewing cruising around in a golf cart at night.

Yeah some folks get a little carried away... this is at a camp site! A castle and a carriage!

20181216_183255.jpg

20181216_183451.jpg

Raxel7851

The Preferred loops are a little smaller. Usually around 45’ deep. If you are towing say a 30’ camper, you may not fit on the site with your tow vehicle. The roads around those loops tend to be more narrow as well. I’ve seen quite a bit of frustration trying to back in. The Premium sites are around 60’.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom