Fort Wilderness Question

Stormhammer22

Hey everyone. I'll be staying at Fort Wilderness in August, and I'd like to get everyone's opinion who stayed there on what the resort is like, the cabins (which is what I'm staying in), the transportation, the wild animals, and just an overall feeling about Fort Wilderness including the shows, food, entertainment, etc.

Thanks!!:D

AllAmerican

Fort Wilderness

Dude, we have not stayed in the cabins but we have camped with a pop up about 2 years ago. Fort Wilderness was one of my fondest memories as a kid, with my folks. And the memories only got better years later with my wife and 2 sons. They have a camp fire every night and play a Disney Movie while we all sit around and sing Disney Songs and Camp Fire Songs... and eat Pop Corn and SMORES. They have transportation that runs every 15 minutes just like all the resorts... every bus stop within walking distance. You can rent a golf cart and drive all around the camp sites and see all the RV's and people, or bring your bikes and peddal around. I was let down that River Country was closed down now, but you can still take the boat straight to the Magic Kingdom from Fort Wilderness.

There are various forms of wild life, squirrels birds racoons etc... but nothing to worry about. Although I have seen various characters at the camp fire!!

Great restaurant at the end of the road... I think it was Davie Crockets or Daniel Boons Restaurant... Buffet style. Costly of course because Eisner has to pay his salary but the food was good.

The biggest thing I remember that was pure DISNEY like was the fact that when my sons and I walked to the showers (we were camping in a pop up with no shower) we noticed a light was out on one of the light poles... about 4 hours later I walked with my wife to take her to the bathroom... I grabbed my flashlight and we began to walk. THE LIGHT WAS FIXED!! That was pure Disney quality. I wish all the parks and Pleasure Island had 100% of that magic all the time...

Bottom line, I would most enjoy returning to Fort Wilderness. Cabins, Campers, or the Resort... IT IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE OF ALL THE RESORTS! It just feels like Disney of days gone by.. Daniel Boone and skin hats, knives made of wood and those neat single shot guns... Playing cowboys and indians...

GOING to make my reservations right now!

Upvote 0

CDS Disney

Fort Wilderness ahhhh, the wonders of the great outdoors made a little more comfortable for all those who don’t want the outdoors part. My family and I have stayed at Ft. Wilderness 3 times now each time we have visited first in the homes (pre-cabins), second camping, and third time in the Cabins.
The Cabins are large and spacious the main bed rooms are separated from the living/dining rooms. The dining area is finished with a table, chairs (Dining and cushioned) a couch, and Murphy bed. The theme of the frontier is carried into the house all of the furniture is earth toned and wooden. There is a kitchenette that is fully supplied with utensils and accessories. The only downside is that there is with a family of six sitting down to eat a dinner it can be a little cramped but still comfortable. The bed rooms are nice. A queen bed and bunk bed are the only furniture in the room. The only downside of that room is since the change from homes to cabin they remove the small sink in the bedroom.
The transportation from the home is biased around buses all thought Golf carts are available. The bus stations are located close to each “loop” meaning about a 2 min walk at the most. All though hardy campers have cut paths though the woods in some places making for a more direct route. The buses come about every 5 to 7 min not bad considering they stop at all the loops. The bus provides transportation to the TTA and to the marina (not quite but will a 2 in walk really hurt you) that provides a nice “cruse” to the Magic Kingdom”. Golf carts all though pricy go places that busses don’t like to your door, directly to the marina, and to the trading post (a small market and souvenir shop).
The animal life in Ft. Wilderness is local and exotic. Squirrels, frogs, raccoons, and armadillos all make up the happy animal population. All which don’t invade your privacy unless your privacy is their home.
Food is good you can eat at home via your kitchen or out at one two restaurants. Crockets tavern provides a low key dining experience. Gives you a buffet style restaurant and a bar. Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue is a dinner show and all you can eat dinner. Both venues are an excellent choice although the hoop-dee-doo is a bit pricey.
Over all it’s a great experience giving all guest who go a new Disney experience.

Upvote 0

Thumper's Mom

We have stayed at FW in 2000 and 2002. We totally love it there!! You are close enough to the parks, that all you need to do is hop on the boat and you're in Magic Kingdom!! :sohappy: Yet, it is like you are a world away....nature is all around you (watch out for that albino peacock!!!!). The pools aren't themed but they are very nice. I love the Settlement Depot area...kind of feels like you are in the old west. The food at Trail's End is fantastic and ALL YOU CAN EAT!

I have some websites with many photos of both the cabins and campsites if your interested....feel free to ask!!:D

Upvote 0

Thumper's Mom

I'll send you the links in your PM box - don't remember the rules about posting links to other sites on the boards and I don't want to cause any trouble!! :zipit: Watch your PM box!!

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Did the cabin thang last summer, for our family of 5 it was ideal. The facilities made it much better than a hotel room. We did however follow guide book advice about asking for a particular loop and this meant we were handy for both bus and pool/laundry areas. As has been said it is a very beautiful resort and people are especially freindly. I dont think we made the most of our time there as we spent as much time as poss in parks. We did rent a boat and my youngest went pony trecking and loved it.

I have a few pictures on here I just never seem to get round to putting a few more up.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom