Fort Wilderness + Nov. + Tent + DW,DD5&DS2 = ?

DisneyWall-E

Family and I are staying at the campgrounds Nov 21 thru 24 and would like any advice you good people have to offer about staying here. This is our 6th trip in as many years. We are staying in a new tent we got and have never camped anywhere before. Just curious about what we should bring. We will be cooking while at the campsite. Also want to know what to expect while staying here ie: comfort stations and bus routs.
thank in advance.

minniemickeyfan

I would take a trial run with everything at a local campsite near you before you leave. We did this, and decided it would just be easier to stay at Pop this time. I really want to stay at Disneys campground again though. The first time we did was in a cabin. I wish you the best with it though. I've heard the comfort stations are really great there. The bus system isn't too bad once you get the hang of it.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

It's been awhile since I've stayed there, but the comfort stations were the nicest I've ever seen in any campground. They were clean and well-lit, with plenty of shower stations and hot water.

As far as cooking with a tent, I highly recommend no-muss, no-fuss options that don't require refrigeration: hot cereals, fresh fruit, Pop Tarts or granola bars, chips, peanut butter sandwiches, cured meats and canned items (beans, soup, spaghettios, etc.). If you google camping recipes, there are whole websites devoted to camp cooking that you can browse. Bring a plastic tote of kitchen items (paper plates, silverware, tin or styrofoam cups, a basin for washing, a cutting board and knife, can opener, ladle, one pot, one skillet, grillware, camp coffee pot, dishwashing liquid, hand soap, dish towels, etc.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

deanaandrich

Comfort stations are very nice. You will have a grill at your campsite. Ice is available at the comfort stations for a price. You may want to bring bikes or think about a golf cart to get around. Weather should be decent for you. Make sure you take the kids to the sing a long and movie- best in all of WDW (bring s'mores).

Upvote 0

Allygator

We tent camp. We like air mattresses vs the ground. A good air pump is needed. An extra folding table for supplies is nice and so are awnings for over your picnic table and extra table. I would suggest plastic containers with lids for food (I'm sure there are plenty of chipmunks and squirrels). Some type if lighting for inside the tent. We have battery operated LED string lights. A camping stove. Great for heating up water to wash utensils/dishes. Have fun! We love camping but never camped at Disney.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Family and I are staying at the campgrounds Nov 21 thru 24 and would like any advice you good people have to offer about staying here. This is our 6th trip in as many years. We are staying in a new tent we got and have never camped anywhere before. Just curious about what we should bring. We will be cooking while at the campsite. Also want to know what to expect while staying here ie: comfort stations and bus routs.
thank in advance.

Oh boy. Non-veteran tent campers, with two small children. My first thought was a hotel reservation on or off sight. If not I'd be taking those little tykes for a few trial runs for at least two nights in a row before I tried to pull this off at Disney.

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

Original Poster
thanks everyone!
We got a lot of supplies so far. Nice 6 person tent by Magellan(Academy brand) Two queen air mattresses with a Coleman pump, two burner Coleman propane stove and a small ceramic space heater and heated blanket for the kids. Led lantern for the tent and flashlights. Plastic totes to store our camping supplies in. All our eating utensils and plates are disposable except for pans and cooking implements.
We are so looking forward to this.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh boy. Non-veteran tent campers, with two small children. My first thought was a hotel reservation on or off sight. If not I'd be taking those little tykes for a few trial runs for at least two nights in a row before I tried to pull this off at Disney.
Yes, yes, and once again YES!

Go do some weekend campouts, even if it's just in your back yard...getting used to sleeping outdoors is something that takes some practice (especially in Nov, when the weather isn't going to be exactly warm (though, it won't be *cold* either...you should expect lows in the mid 50s to low 60s...which, sleeping outdoors can feel...quite nippy...if you aren't used to it).

Also, if you plan to cook while there...be sure you are comfortable with your cooking utilities and know how to practice fire safety. Those little propane stoves can turn over very easily.

Be sure you check all your gear. They have a store there where you can pick up some items, and they also have items for rent (as I recall)...but, be sure to check it all before going. Also, make sure you have put the tent up several times and taken it down, and tested it for water resistance, checked all the zippers repeatedly, etc...

Tents out of the boxes, even quality ones, can have defects, and you don't want to find that out when you arrive, pull it out of the box, and the first storm blows through soaking you all.

Be sure to get a tarpolian or series of tarps (or plastic) that is slightly larger than the base of your tent.

Really, there's a lot of tips / tricks etc. to camping, and I could (as well as many others, I'm sure) go on for a while about it.

But, the first key is...know your equipment, and make sure everyone is comfortable with it beforehand.

So, take the kiddos out first!

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

Original Poster
So far we have "camped out" twice in our back yard. Tent is wonderful. It was better the second time around when we had the air mattresses tho.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
thanks everyone!
We got a lot of supplies so far. Nice 6 person tent by Magellan(Academy brand) Two queen air mattresses with a Coleman pump, two burner Coleman propane stove and a small ceramic space heater and heated blanket for the kids. Led lantern for the tent and flashlights. Plastic totes to store our camping supplies in. All our eating utensils and plates are disposable except for pans and cooking implements.

That space heater will not be usable inside the tent, or near the tent. Personally, I wouldn't use the electric blankets in the tent either, but that's just my opine. You may not have planned to, but I just wanted to toss that out.

Even if it's a quality tent, spray it down with 3M water repelling spray...especially the exterior cover.

Glad to hear you got the two burner...those are far more stable. Still, make sure you know EXACTLY how to use it well before going. Maybe have a backyard cookout a few nights with it beforehand?

If you're based out of your car, bring cooking spray for your pans / cooking implements. It makes your life a lot easier!

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

Original Poster
Yes, yes, and once again YES!

Go do some weekend campouts, even if it's just in your back yard...getting used to sleeping outdoors is something that takes some practice (especially in Nov, when the weather isn't going to be exactly warm (though, it won't be *cold* either...you should expect lows in the mid 50s to low 60s...which, sleeping outdoors can feel...quite nippy...if you aren't used to it).

Also, if you plan to cook while there...be sure you are comfortable with your cooking utilities and know how to practice fire safety. Those little propane stoves can turn over very easily.

Be sure you check all your gear. They have a store there where you can pick up some items, and they also have items for rent (as I recall)...but, be sure to check it all before going. Also, make sure you have put the tent up several times and taken it down, and tested it for water resistance, checked all the zippers repeatedly, etc...

Tents out of the boxes, even quality ones, can have defects, and you don't want to find that out when you arrive, pull it out of the box, and the first storm blows through soaking you all.

Be sure to get a tarpolian or series of tarps (or plastic) that is slightly larger than the base of your tent.

Really, there's a lot of tips / tricks etc. to camping, and I could (as well as many others, I'm sure) go on for a while about it.

But, the first key is...know your equipment, and make sure everyone is comfortable with it beforehand.

So, take the kiddos out first!
Any tips, no matter how long you go on about them, would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

Original Poster
I use to camp when I was younger so it dose not bother me at all. I like the out doors, the sound of animals actually helps me sleep. My wife is the same way. My kids so far seem to love camping, but they are heavy sleepers.
Only problem I could see for me is lighting. Dose anyone know if the tent sites have bright street lights around them?

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I use to camp when I was younger so it dose not bother me at all. I like the out doors, the sound of animals actually helps me sleep. My wife is the same way. My kids so far seem to love camping, but they are heavy sleepers.
Only problem I could see for me is lighting. Dose anyone know if the tent sites have bright street lights around them?
Not a whole lot, no.

There's a tour of the partial campgrounds.

I've only been back that way during the day.

I noticed, no one answered you about busses. The resort has internal busses. Your campsite will have an assigned "bus stop" within walking distance. You'll be able to use that to link up to the Wilderness Lodge busses to get to the rest of the property. Be sure (if you aren't planning to use your car) to plan for this extra time.

Upvote 0

stalkingmickey

I have camped for many many years in my tent. But i am not sure after a full day of walking around parks a campsite would suite my comfort needs one of the reasons I have not done it yet.
With regards to the electric heater and blanket I would call and ask how many amps your site has for electricity. we use a ceramic heater at most campgrounds but we did run into an issue at one site we kept tripping the fuse because the site was not equipped with enough power. But i feel very comfortable using it in our tent.
food wise prepare anything in advance so no prep works has to be done there cuts down on time and items needed. for example I bring all my meats that are marinated in zip lock bags all ready marinating.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

thanks everyone!
Sounds like you are well on your way to a great vacation. As it is a new tent you might want to do a trial tent pitch before you leave to make sure you are familiar with it. I would also suggest if you can get a screen room or and e-z up canopy to go up around the picnic table to give you more covered space. The only other thing I would suggest is packing for layers as it will cool off at night. Have a wonderful trip to the fort!

Upvote 0

mickeymatt

We camped for two nights last nov and it was fun. Many RVs will be decorated for Christmas which your kids will love! Pack some Christmas lights/ decorations of your own so you won't feel left out:)

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

Original Poster
We camped for two nights last nov and it was fun. Many RVs will be decorated for Christmas which your kids will love! Pack some Christmas lights/ decorations of your own so you won't feel left out:)
We just bought some LED lights to put up around the camp site.
The family and I are getting vary excited for this trip

Upvote 0

luv

I like to go camping and have made a variety of atypical camping food (e.g. a really good french stew) over actual fires. But being as you'll be at Disney, I'd honestly recommend eating in the parks if you can and just snacking at the site.

Like others, I cannot recommend trying this near home strongly enough. It would be very foolish to make your vacation your first family camping experience.

Bring lots of blankets and some warm, soft hats that you can sleep in. It sometimes gets cold in Florida, even in November.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom