Fort Wilderness damage

Virtual Toad

Haven't heard any onsite reports yet but we are wondering the same thing. We were at the Poly during Hurricane Charley and the storm did considerable damage to trees at FW, especially along the 2300, 2700 and 2800 loops if I recall. Many had to be replanted. Here's hoping the Fort did not sustain any major damage this time around.

JIMINYCR

I recall when the last major hurricane hit and WDW was affected with high winds and soaking rains there were many trees limbs down and a few trees uprooted across property. We went on a trip a month after and riding the monorail lines you could see extensive trees toppled over in areas we could overlook while passing by where fortunately nothing was damaged and guests were not affected.

fotofx

I recall when the last major hurricane hit and WDW was affected with high winds and soaking rains there were many trees limbs down and a few trees uprooted across property. We went on a trip a month after and riding the monorail lines you could see extensive trees toppled over in areas we could overlook while passing by where fortunately nothing was damaged and guests were not affected.
You can not overlook Fort Wilderness from the monorail. You must be thinking of Wilderness Lodge.

fotofx

I wasn’t referring to FW just writing about the extensive damage to trees you could view from riding the monorail. You can still see some of those downed trees still.
Sorry, I forgot where I am at. Just because a thread is about Fort Wilderness...... Did I tell you about the great discount I got on car insurance?

Raxel7851

Original Poster
You can not overlook Fort Wilderness from the monorail. You must be thinking of Wilderness Lodge.
While true that you cannot actually see FW from the monorail, I believe @JIMINYCR was referring to the area around FW. As the “crow” flies, FW is just a short distance down Vista Blvd from the Monorail on N. World Dr. If you can see that kind of damage from the Monorail, it’s certainly possible that damage would extend to FW.

fotofx

While true that you cannot actually see FW from the monorail, I believe @JIMINYCR was referring to the area around FW. As the “crow” flies, FW is just a short distance down Vista Blvd from the Monorail on N. World Dr. If you can see that kind of damage from the Monorail, it’s certainly possible that damage would extend to FW.
You could assume the damage at Wilderness Lodge is similar at Fort Wilderness. Yes as the crow flies it is a short distance, but not at all visible from the monorail.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I assume with Fort Wilderness it's not just a matter of cleanup, but also looking for damaged tree limbs that could potentially fall later on.

fotofx

I assume with Fort Wilderness it's not just a matter of cleanup, but also looking for damaged tree limbs that could potentially fall later on.
The Fort is a little unique. While all the other building sites were filled during construction, including Bay Lake which was drained, dredged, and coated in white sand. the Fort was done on a shoestring budget originally. The ground at Fort Wilderness really remained swampy which is what ultimately doomed the railroad there. If you look at Fort history they actually had to go on raids at night and appropriate (steal) building supplies from the other building sites. Of course many of the individual sites have had fill added and concrete. Most of the loops still hold a lot of water. Add to that the very aged water/sewer system and you can imagine the possible issues. It was just a few years ago that the road was closed for an extended period down from the Meadows almost to the Settlement just to address a break that kept breaking a larger area as they would fix each section.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We stayed at the fort over the 4th of July and to echo what @fotofx said above....the fort is swampy without a hurricane dumping 10" of rain on it. They were pumping water out of one of the 2000-loop cabins the weekend of the 4th.

JIMINYCR

Sorry, I forgot where I am at. Just because a thread is about Fort Wilderness...... Did I tell you about the great discount I got on car insurance?
Sorry you are one dimensional and can’t relate to a discussion about damage caused by a hurricane in other sections of WDW. If you’ve been on this site for any length of time you will see that discussions frequently touch on other relatable points other than the thread titles.
Had you read my post you would have gotten the point right away that I wasn’t talking about FW but damage elsewhere seen from the monorail.
And my insurance company works fine for me so I could care less about yours😆

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry you are one dimensional and can’t relate to a discussion about damage caused by a hurricane in other sections of WDW. If you’ve been on this site for any length of time you will see that discussions frequently touch on other relatable points other than the thread titles.
Had you read my post you would have gotten the point right away that I wasn’t talking about FW but damage elsewhere seen from the monorail.

Can I interest you renewing your soon to expire car warranty ?

fotofx

And if you have been on this site for any length of time you would know that frequently off topic posts are either deleted or the thread is locked by an admin. There is a separate thread for other WDW storm damage.

JIMINYCR

And if you have been on this site for any length of time you would know that frequently off topic posts are either deleted or the thread is locked by an admin. There is a separate thread for other WDW storm damage.
Sorry Mr one dimension, the posts that get deleted or closed are ones that get political, nasty or totally off topic. My post regarding tree damage adds to the topic and doesn’t divert from the general flow. If posts got closed for veering slightly from a title topic we would have boring responses and very few people discussing on site. Guess you can’t handle more than one thought at a time. I’ll remember that when I post.

fotofx

Sorry Mr one dimension, the posts that get deleted or closed are ones that get political, nasty or totally off topic. My post regarding tree damage adds to the topic and doesn’t divert from the general flow. If posts got closed for veering slightly from a title topic we would have boring responses and very few people discussing on site. Guess you can’t handle more than one thought at a time. I’ll remember that when I post.
Don't worry, the ignore button works great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom