Fort Wilderness Cabins

pbrsaau

Original Poster
Hi, we're staying at the Fort Wilderness Cabins the first week of August. Really looking forward to this trip. We attended the Hoop Dee Doo a couple years ago, so we're doing the Luau this trip. I do have breakfast scheduled at Trails End while we're there. We're not getting a golf cart. Any advice or tips to share staying here? We're driving from OH-IO, so we will have our truck to get around if we don't want to rely on the busses. The boat to MK will be nice for sure.

monykalyn

The boat to MK is awesome!
Any reason why not getting a golf cart? That was one of the best things for my family-we stayed there first week of June. Rented from company offsite. Stayed 2600 loop-near the end of the loop so we were close by an internal bus stop, and a short jaunt to pool as well-in fact my DH walked it one night when he wanted to go to hot tub and the rest of us went to MK (and took golf cart to Settlement). You will need to take internal buses to get around. You can drive from cabin to Outpost to catch park bus, but that is a pain most of time! Easier to catch internal bus.
The Meadows pool has a small water slide and snack bar. Bring towels from cabin or your own pool towels though.
The campfire with Chip and Dale is fun-we brought our own smore stuff. We also grilled out one night-be aware there are NO grilling tools though, so plan accordingly.

The cabins have been updated, so no longer a stove, but the microwave is a convection one. granite counters, and a really comfy pullout sofa.
The campgrounds are very laid back, yes you are in Disney-as evidenced by the Electric water parade and being able to watch MK fireworks from a boat-but we could have easily spent a week here and not missed the parks. In fact, it was hard to rally troops to even bother to go to parks (we mostly did evenings with FP). In fact-that is our only regret-that we didn't say longer.
Loved Loved Loved our cabin stay-definitely top of my list of resorts I want to return to. Happy camping!

joejoe

You have made a great choice! Fort Wilderness Cabins is one of the best, if not THE, best values at WDW. You basically get a fully functioning 1-bedroom home for less than a room at a Deluxe Resort. My advice, allow yourself one full day at just the campground. There is so much to do there and the ambiance is just a total escape. This is kind of off the subject, but I see so many people going to WDW rushing rushing rushing, trying to cram it all in. I just don't know how that is fun. But to each his own. Remember, you're on VACATION, take the time to enjoy your resort, the amenities and escape it offers... you're paying good money for more than just a place to sleep. Skip the parks one day, lounge by the pool, take a leisurely walk around all the scenic (and very peaceful) grounds, visit the petting zoo, kick back in a rocking chair, watch the clouds float by and hear the breeze blowing through the pines. You'll thank yourself. Have a great time!

Tom P.

Any reason why not getting a golf cart? That was one of the best things for my family-we stayed there first week of June. Rented from company offsite. Stayed 2600 loop-near the end of the loop so we were close by an internal bus stop, and a short jaunt to pool as well-in fact my DH walked it one night when he wanted to go to hot tub and the rest of us went to MK (and took golf cart to Settlement). You will need to take internal buses to get around. You can drive from cabin to Outpost to catch park bus, but that is a pain most of time! Easier to catch internal bus.
The Meadows pool has a small water slide and snack bar. Bring towels from cabin or your own pool towels though.
The campfire with Chip and Dale is fun-we brought our own smore stuff. We also grilled out one night-be aware there are NO grilling tools though, so plan accordingly.

The cabins have been updated, so no longer a stove, but the microwave is a convection one. granite counters, and a really comfy pullout sofa.
The campgrounds are very laid back, yes you are in Disney-as evidenced by the Electric water parade and being able to watch MK fireworks from a boat-but we could have easily spent a week here and not missed the parks. In fact, it was hard to rally troops to even bother to go to parks (we mostly did evenings with FP). In fact-that is our only regret-that we didn't say longer.
Loved Loved Loved our cabin stay-definitely top of my list of resorts I want to return to. Happy camping!
The cabins still have a stove, but it's no longer a full range with an oven. It's a two burner cooktop. But you can still cook on it just fine.

irishmom58

Hi, we're staying at the Fort Wilderness Cabins the first week of August. Really looking forward to this trip. We attended the Hoop Dee Doo a couple years ago, so we're doing the Luau this trip. I do have breakfast scheduled at Trails End while we're there. We're not getting a golf cart. Any advice or tips to share staying here? We're driving from OH-IO, so we will have our truck to get around if we don't want to rely on the busses. The boat to MK will be nice for sure.[/QUOTE
Stayed there 2013 with daughter, son in law and 3 yo granddaughter. We purchases some provisions from trading post but so pricey, brought bread, cheese, turkey, fruit, coffee in my suitcase (froze bread, and put other chilled goods in a freezy container. We skipped the whoop de doo, seemed to cheesy, toured the horse stables, did the pony rides. The boat ride to MK was cool, otherwise too much 'planes, trains, and automobiles' waiting for buses from boat to cabin, to trading post. I would not book it again for the waste in time for travel to from the parks. We didn't do golf cart, not needed. The full kitchen was great in cabin, and all in all a lovely memory. Bring more foods or rent a car and head to Publix.

monykalyn

The cabins still have a stove, but it's no longer a full range with an oven. It's a two burner cooktop. But you can still cook on it just fine.
Good gravy! :oops: Thanks - that's what I meant :hilarious::hilarious: Apparently I'm having issues with word finding in my advanced age of late 40's:joyfull:. And I did cook on it so you'd think the right words would have been easier right?

Corgi

Asking to anyone who has tried it — what’s horse riding like at the Fort Wilderness stables? Do you just walk? Or can you trot/canter if experienced? I’m a horse rider myself but have never tried doing a ride there.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You have made a great choice! Fort Wilderness Cabins is one of the best, if not THE, best values at WDW. You basically get a fully functioning 1-bedroom home for less than a room at a Deluxe Resort. My advice, allow yourself one full day at just the campground. There is so much to do there and the ambiance is just a total escape. This is kind of off the subject, but I see so many people going to WDW rushing rushing rushing, trying to cram it all in. I just don't know how that is fun. But to each his own. Remember, you're on VACATION, take the time to enjoy your resort, the amenities and escape it offers... you're paying good money for more than just a place to sleep. Skip the parks one day, lounge by the pool, take a leisurely walk around all the scenic (and very peaceful) grounds, visit the petting zoo, kick back in a rocking chair, watch the clouds float by and hear the breeze blowing through the pines. You'll thank yourself. Have a great time!
We are contemplating getting a travel trailer with multiple long term stays a year in mind after retirement. While we would likely get APs, hearing that you can lose yourself in the campground with non park stuff to do is a huge plus.

pbrsaau

Original Poster
Good gravy! :oops: Thanks - that's what I meant :hilarious::hilarious: Apparently I'm having issues with word finding in my advanced age of late 40's:joyfull:. And I did cook on it so you'd think the right words would have been easier right?
I'm assuming the kitchen comes with dishes, utensils, pots, pans, etc?

irishmom58

Kitchen has all dishes, utensils, and pots/pans and a nice size coffee maker. Per previous posts bring grill equipment if you want to use the one on the deck. No deck furniture but you could bring the little chairs/stools out from cabin. We brought Dixie disposable coffee cups/lids to take coffee with us on bus/boat to the park. Freeze a loaf of bread, butter, and tupperware containers of deli meat and/or breakfast sausage and bring in your suitcase. Brought peanut butter and jelly single serve packs for toast or sandwiches. We bought eggs at the trading post for breakfast. I also back apples/clementines/babybell cheese in the suitcase, wrap bottles of wine and bourbon in bubble wrap too. You can get pretty creative lol!

Disney Ron

Can I ask what offsite company you used for a golf cart?

monykalyn

Can I ask what offsite company you used for a golf cart?
Golf cart Rentals Orlando. We got lucky in that there were “bookend” rentals when we were there so the golf cart was onsite when we arrived and we left it in golf cart parking area when we left. Kenny’s tee time is also pretty popular but they do book quickly!

Disney Ron

Golf cart Rentals Orlando. We got lucky in that there were “bookend” rentals when we were there so the golf cart was onsite when we arrived and we left it in golf cart parking area when we left. Kenny’s tee time is also pretty popular but they do book quickly!

Thanks we used Kenny a few years ago, but it seems like it's a big hassle to get the golf cart now. Back then he was allowed to bring it right to the Fort parking lot.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom