Fort Wilderness Cabins- Help & Advice!

ToInfinity

Original Poster
Hello! We are considering the Cabins at FW for the first time maybe in June 2021. Any tips, pros, cons? What do you love? What is not great? How does transportation go from there to the parks? Do busses take a long time? Should we get a golf cart? Could we walk from the cabin and eat at FW or even Wilderness Lodge, or would we have to drive? Worth it for the price? Tell me all you know! Thanks.

Raxel7851

We’ve camped at FW many times. I would suggest you rent the golf cart. Although they’re a little pricey, they are a great way to save some time, and enjoy checking out the entire campground. You might want to reserve it as far in advance as possible, since they have a limited supply. You can plug it in to recharge it right at your site. You’ll enjoy campground so much!

nickys

Premium Member
Just to,say the path to WL is closed due to the (now stopped) work on Reflections.

Unfortunately I don’t think it will be a priority to re-open it, not least because it crosses what is still a construction site. And eventually work will start again on a resort there.

Heppenheimer

Just to note, there is/was a boat connection between Fort Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. No idea if it still runs during the pandemic.

I haven't stayed here since 1989, so my memory might not be perfect and/or things may have changed, but I recall that the internal shuttle system within the resort didn't run as frequently as we would have liked. I remember doing quite a bit of walking from our cabin to the Magic Kingdom boat launch or the external bus stops, simply because we didn't want to wait for the internal shuttle.

If I ever stayed here again, bicycles would be my choice for internal transportion.

nickys

Premium Member
Just to note, there is/was a boat connection between Fort Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. No idea if it still runs during the pandemic.
It isn’t currently running. The boat to MK is, but not the boat that circles Bay Lake stopping at each of the resorts.

ToInfinity

Original Poster
Thanks for your help! Based on all of this, we’re now thinking that we’re going to try a different resort. The transportation easiness is a big thing for us, and it doesn’t sound like it is very great from the cabins at the moment. Thanks again!

BASS

I love the cabins. We've stayed there twice. Random thoughts:

1. The golf cart is a must. Unless you get lucky like I did on 1 occasion and you get the cabins near the transportation center, the golf carts are invaluable for getting around the property. If you have small kids, they'll enjoy the carts. It's actually quite fun and the campgrounds itself are beautiful. We bumped into deer and plenty of armadillos last time. That said, they're pricey . . . $50/day IIRC. Make sure you add that into the hotel cost when you compare the cabin to other resorts.
2. The cabin is more spacious than a typical resort room but if you're trying to cram a bunch of folks in there, then you're likely better off with 2 rooms or elsewhere. How many in your party and what age?
3. What I liked about it is that the campground offers respite from the people and commotion of the parks. It literally feels like you're . . . not in Orlando. Consider it 2 vacations in one. There is a gas grill and a table outside if you want to take advantage of the scenery/weather.
4. You can park your car at the cabin itself. For me, this was a big deal. We had small kids last time we visited and have to bring a lot of "stuff." This was invaluable and saved a lot of time back and forth at arrival and departure. We also frequently drive to restaurants and not having to do the trek or go through valet is awesome.
5. No idea if it's still on with covid, but if they're still doing the show with the s'mores, that's a must.

All in all, it's a fun, different experience. You'll enjoy it.

stratman50th

So this is what, a week old now? Let me see if this helps....
Our room at Disney has wheels so while I can't talk to the cabins, I can give a little insight to staying at the fort.
Golf carts are more like $65 to $67 a day depending on season. Rentals are from 1:00pm to checkout the following day so figure 24 hours-ish. To us they are well worth having not only because it's quicker to get around but because they are a way to see the entire campground property.
While the boat to the resorts isn't running, the internal bus, "Yellow" runs regularly between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. Used it several times last trip in October.
Internal buses are frequent and easy to use. Transportation isn't a problem at the Fort.
While there isn't a lot of the normal things open that used to be, there's still enough to keep you occupied.
Both pools are open but have capacity limits.
Here is a list from a friend that's pretty comprehensive:
  • Meadows area
    • Bike Barn
      • Archery- Available
      • Bike rentals- Available
      • Canoe/Kayak Rentals- Available
      • Gem Mining- Available
      • Golf Carts- Available
        • Must be staying at the Fort to rent. Non-FW guests are no longer allowed to rent.
      • Fishing Excursions- Available
      • Segway Tours- Available
    • Chip & Dale’s Campfire- Closed
    • Dog Park- Open
    • Movies- Every other night
    • Pool- Open
    • Pool Snack Bar- Open
    • Trading post - Open
  • Settlement area
    • Arcade - Closed
    • Crocket’s Tavern- Open
    • Exercise Trail to WL- Closed
    • Motorized Boat Rentals - Closed
    • Hoop-Dee-Doo- Closed
    • MK Boat Service- Available
      • Bus service to MK also available at the Settlement Bus Depot
    • P&J’s Takeout- Open
    • Playground- Open
    • Resort Boat Service- Not available
      • The Yellow Line bus service has been extended from the Settlement Depot to allow transportation to Wilderness Lodge.
      • The buses usually say “Wilderness Lodge” but it doesn’t hurt to ask the Yellow Line bus driver just in case the sign didn’t change
      • Buses run to the Lodge at least until the restaurants at the Lodge are closed
      • No service available to Contemporary from the Fort but you could bus or boat to MK and walk to the Contemporary
    • Trading post - Open
    • Trails End- Closed
      • The building itself is open and a few tables are available to sit at to eat but the buffet (Trails End itself) is closed.
  • Tri Circle D
    • Barn- Open
    • Carriage Rides- Not available
    • Pony Rides- Available
    • Horse Rides- Available

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom