Footwear for Apocalyptic Rains

Yellow Shoes

For the first time we are planning on slogging through WDW during big time rain storms.

Looking for some advice on shoes. I am afraid that the usual sneakers/socks will be uncomfortably squishy and perhaps blister-inducing.

I have "water shoes" from Lands End that are a little more substantial than pool shoes you get at Target.

I also have regular sport sandals that don't require socks. (I have weirdly sensitive feet and really can't wear most shoes without socks.)

What has been your experience and what worked or didn't work for you?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I don't recommend crocs. I had the privilege of wathching 3 different people go flying in the line for Space Mountain after it had been raining. Meanwhile, my sister and I had been wearing sneakers and were sturdy as rocks.

I discovered they are ideal for floor gymnastics on my way to Epcot one morning, across a freshly cleaned Boardwalk, until that time I hadnt known I could do the splits. Luckily I didnt intend to add to our family.

Upvote 0

Cynderella

I'm going to say Crocs but not the big ugly ones you are thinking of!! I have 2 pairs of the crocs Athens flip flops and they are the most comfortable flip flops I've ever worn! I absolutly love them and want to get another pair to wear to Disney. I wear them all the time and usually when we go to the boardwalk or long walking distances I always wear sneakers. But these shoes are amazing and I cant wait to wear them in Disney! Also they run really big. I am usually a womens 9 and my crocs are 7's!! Just my opinion of course! :D

Upvote 0

bayoutinkbelle

I just spent three days splashing around Gustav's rains and floodwaters in a pair of Mickey Crocs. Almost landed on my butt a few times, but that was because of the wind, not the shoes. :D

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Musophile

My vote is for Teva sandals. I heard they were
originally designed for river guides. They dry super fast, they drain water away from your sole, and they are comfortable enough to walk miles in. I climbed the falls in Jamaica with a pair, and did 10 days at WDW last year with no problems.

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

After years of blisters with any athletic shoe or sandal, I discovered Crocs several years ago and my blisters in Disney World have disappeared, so I am a big fan. But if you let the treads get worn down on the bottom, which let's face it, doesn't take too long since they are not really high quality material, that is where the slipping comes in. I wear newer, well-treaded Crocs in the rain.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
Might I suggest some Yellow Shoes? :lookaroun

:lol:

Sorry, had to make the obvious connection! Not a fan in the slightest of Crocs either... I'd recommend the Teva sandals with front and back connectors.

Have a great day!

I'm cracking up here. Of course, I missed the obvious answer!!

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
red_cps_flyfishing_waders_big_hero.jpg

stylish yet practical

Believe me, I've seriously considered this option!

Upvote 0

DisneyBride94

Crocs

I thought they were ugly when they first came on the scene--but after owning a pair myself--I have deemed them comfortable enough for Disney World and fantastic for the deluges that sometimes occur in the parks.

They are extremely comfortable and provide me with great support...and they are great slogging through puddles. I wore them all last year and was very happy with them. Ugly--but comfy and functional. You can buy a pair of cheap off-brand ones--that's what I have. (I actually have two pairs--they are great!!!!).:sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyBride94

Tevas & Flip Flops - Yuck!

I have to say that I find Tevas to be the MOST uncomfortable sandal type on the market. I can't stand to have them on my feet for 30 seconds--though some swear they are very comfortable.

And I can not bear flip-flops either. Not only do flip-flops lack any kind of support, I can not stand anything between my toes like that! :eek:

Crocs Rock!!!!:king:

Upvote 0

DisneyBride94

I've never worn Crocs. My question is, with the holes, wouldn't your feet get cold in the rain?

Well sure your feet are going to get wet in the rain in any kind of non-waterproof footwear... but it's Florida...so it's usually not THAT cold that it's worrisome...and your feet dry SO FAST in Crocs compared to other footwear options. The shoes do not stay wet... or retain any water... I'd rather wear Crocks then sneakers with socks in the rain...because long after the rains pass and the puddles dry up...your sneakers are still damp and soggy.

I always take several footwear options on my Disney trips... a pair of sneakers...a pair of crocs...and a pair of regular sandals are now de rigeur for me... that way if somehow I end up with a blister or chaffe...I can rotate through different shoes to avoid problems.

One year my mother-in-law had her bags searched by the airlines and somehow one of her sneakers disappeared. She had to buy brand new sneakers that of course ended up hurting her feet. I learned to always travel with my most comfortable shoes ON MY FEET just in case!!! LOL.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom