Foods your parents made you eat

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm the weirdo who has almost the exact likes and dislikes as far as food goes as I did when I was a kid. I wouldn't eat liver or whole fish and by whole fish I mean all of it, not then not now!

DisneyGigi

Brussels Sprouts. My mom boiled them in water with a pat of butter. 🤢 I adore them roasted, until crispy with garlic, onions, butter, olive oil, seasoned and finished with a little balsamic vinegar. She wasn’t the best cook, bless her heart. 😂

Goofyernmost

The thing I hated the most as a child was something my Mom made often. Salmon Wiggle! The problem with it was that she used canned salmon. Canned salmon that contained the little round bones. They used to make me gag. They were soft enough to chew but I could never swallow it. I didn't mind the salmon meat, but those bones were always hidden in the casserol. The problem is... I still hate it an easy 68 years later. (Yes, I know that wasn't what the tread asked for completely, but it is the only thing I could think of that I considered awful). Oh, yea... another was olives. Love them now. There, I fit in.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I wasn't forced to eat it as a kid but I refused to eat it but now I love it....pineapple! My parents went to Hawaii in 2001 and brought both my sister and I a pineapple and even though I had refused to eat it as a kid I decided to try the fresh Hawaiian pineapple and I loved it!!!

I also refused to eat spinach as a kid but I like spinach now, not so much cooked but I like it in salads.

Goofyernmost

I wasn't forced to eat it as a kid but I refused to eat it but now I love it....pineapple! My parents went to Hawaii in 2001 and brought both my sister and I a pineapple and even though I had refused to eat it as a kid I decided to try the fresh Hawaiian pineapple and I loved it!!!

I also refused to eat spinach as a kid but I like spinach now, not so much cooked but I like it in salads.
I always liked canned spinach (probably influenced by Popeye) as a kid, still do, but I don't have it very often. I never cared for fresh spinach though. I have a limited like for most "green" things that remind me of leaves on the trees. I'm not sure what the name of the one is that I see in salads all the time. It literally looks like it was plucked from a tree, stems and all. So in the words of the Bohemain Rhapsody... NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
For the most part, I still hate many of the same foods I had to eat as a kid. (Asparagus, brussel sprouds, peas, cauliflower, lima beans, certain kinds of fish -- smelts and salmon were the worst, and Liver (sorry, trr1 ;) ). But the grossest meal my mother ever made (she only did it once as we all hated it, except for my father), was a recipe called finnan haddie (smoked haddock, etc.). The smell alone, could knock you out, and I took one bite of it and nearly puked! :jawdrop:

The only thing I like now that I didn't as a kid, is spinach (but NOT canned).

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Anything my parents made me eat I still hate. This is carrots, winter squash, fish, pork chops, a roast beef dinner, turkey dinner.
I'll eat roast beef and turkey if its on a sandwich but not a chunk on my plate.
Things that no one forced on me that I didn't like I did eventually grow a taste for like sour cream, yogurt to an extent, ketchup (I know what kid doesn't like ketchup).

macefamily

I'm from northeast PA so there's some really ethnic foods made around here. One that I couldn't stand as a kid was halupkis. It's ground beef and rice rolled up into a cabbage leaf. The sauce is tomato-based that really turned me off. I love tomatoes, but I don't know what my dad did with that sauce because it was horrible. Now I've eaten halupkis as an adult, but the sauce was much more different than my dad's. The sauce I've tried in my older age almost tasted like there's a bacon grease element to it. Sorry dad. RIP.

StarWarsGirl

I don't really remember my mom force feeding my anything besides maybe a few spoonfuls of vegetables. And the thing is that the vegetables that I didn't like as a kid I haven't really changed my mind about as an adult. I still don't like broccoli, asparagus, or green beans unless they're in soup. I've always liked corn and lima beans. Some of the foods I do like as an adult were ones that I just up and tried myself. Like, I never ate hamburgers as a kid, and my parents never forced me, but then one day I just decided to try them, and I liked them. Same with tacos.

Funny thing, my mom never made peas because she hates them. I hate them at Rose and Crown and it turns out I like peas. That and mushrooms. Even my brother, who's on the autism spectrum and can be extremely picky, loves mushrooms, as do my dad and I, and Mom hates them. She makes them for us with a clothespin on her nose. 🤣

jaklgreen

Well we ate everything our Mom put in front of us and most of it was bad. My Dad is from the "old Country" and was worried about getting sick from undercooked food. So my Mom boiled all vegetables to death. They all came out as flavorless, water logged mush. And my Dad wanted steak, but was too cheap to buy the good stuff and it all had to be well done. So my Mom would buy round steak and cook it well done, so when you chewed it, it would not break down and you had to spit it out. The only decent food was the Polish food and the roasted chicken, cuz you can't really mess that up too bad. Pretty much everything is good if you know how to cook it properly and I eat most anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom