Flying With a 2 Year Old

arich35

Original Poster
We are leaving in 11 days and I am getting worried about how our just turned 2 year old is going to do. We have a carseat for her, going to make sure she has a tablet with games and videos to distract her, and snacks but I am worried about her ears hurting her or her freaking out from the noise and having to wear a mask.
Any advice on helping with mainly the ear pain that might happen?

Disstevefan1

I presume you have introduced the mask to her already? Had her wear it? Perhaps do a dry run and have her keep it on for whatever time the flight duration is? Make it a game.

arich35

Original Poster
I presume you have introduced the mask to her already? Had her wear it? Perhaps do a dry run and have her keep it on for whatever time the flight duration is? Make it a game.

She has been wearing it off an on the past probably 5 or 6 months. I think she will wear it especially while distracted, I assume they won't give her too much trouble when she is drinking and eating and its off. But she is a 2 year old and you can only control their reactions so much.

DisNerd86

We are leaving in 11 days and I am getting worried about how our just turned 2 year old is going to do. We have a carseat for her, going to make sure she has a tablet with games and videos to distract her, and snacks but I am worried about her ears hurting her or her freaking out from the noise and having to wear a mask.
We flew with our two year old to Iceland and had all these same worries (except masking which wasn’t a thing then.) as someone else noted above, chewing gummies and sucking through a straw helps release ear pressure, and we didn’t have any trouble with that. We also got headphones that are basically a soft fleece headband for her to listen to the tablet. This helped keep the noise down for her and no one else had to listen to her watching Disney movies. Anytime she got restless, we produced a “new! fun!” small toy or game to excite and distract her (coloring book, little doll) and that helped a lot too.
it’ll be better than you think and over before you know it!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Is she prone to ear pain or infections?
If not then that's not something I'd be worried about.
As for the mask... I understand that you can't always make a 2 year old do what they don't want to do... but... you did decide to fly knowing the rules so you must make your child comply.

arich35

Original Poster
We flew with our two year old to Iceland and had all these same worries (except masking which wasn’t a thing then.) as someone else noted above, chewing gummies and sucking through a straw helps release ear pressure, and we didn’t have any trouble with that. We also got headphones that are basically a soft fleece headband for her to listen to the tablet. This helped keep the noise down for her and no one else had to listen to her watching Disney movies. Anytime she got restless, we produced a “new! fun!” small toy or game to excite and distract her (coloring book, little doll) and that helped a lot too.
Do you remember what the headband was? We were debating on getting her some kind of headphones but I didn't want to over due it with too many things on her between the mask and headphones.
We have been wanting to get her a kids tablet so we are surprising her with that once we are on the plane that will be loaded with different games and downloaded Youtube videos she loves. We will probably get a few other things she can play with or district her. Only a 2 hour and 20 min flight for us so I am hoping it isn't too bad, getting her to sit still for that long might end up being the hardest part lol.

DisNerd86

Do you remember what the headband was? We were debating on getting her some kind of headphones but I didn't want to over due it with too many things on her between the mask and headphones.
We have been wanting to get her a kids tablet so we are surprising her with that once we are on the plane that will be loaded with different games and downloaded Youtube videos she loves. We will probably get a few other things she can play with or district her. Only a 2 hour and 20 min flight for us so I am hoping it isn't too bad, getting her to sit still for that long might end up being the hardest part lol.
CozyPhones Over The Ear Headband Headphones - Kids Headphones Volume Limited with Thin Speakers & Super Soft Stretchy Headband - Mystic Unicorn Amazon product ASIN B01K8U9MCI
these are the ones we got and she still loves them. Also helps for long car rides where we don’t want to listen to The Jungle Book in repeat 😊

arich35

Original Poster
CozyPhones Over The Ear Headband Headphones - Kids Headphones Volume Limited with Thin Speakers & Super Soft Stretchy Headband - Mystic Unicorn Amazon product ASIN B01K8U9MCI
these are the ones we got and she still loves them. Also helps for long car rides where we don’t want to listen to The Jungle Book in repeat 😊
Thank you, I might order it and see if she likes them or not!

Weather_Lady

Anything for your little one to suck on or chew on can help with their ears -- for a 2-year-old, maybe a sugar-free lollipop, Tootsie rolls, or some gummy fruit chews.

Other than that, it sounds like you're ready with "distractions"! If you're worried the experience might be scary or overwhelming, I'd recommend (to the extent possible - I know it's tough with a 2-year-old) talking with her ahead of time about what the plane will feel and sound like. We spent a few days before our kids' first flight reading them bedtime stories about it (e.g., The Noisy Airplane by Mike Downs, A Day At The Airport by Richard Scarry, and My First Trip On An Airplane by Vic Parker). I think it helped, maybe too well -- my youngest (barely 4 at the time) breezed through airport security with all the speed and efficiency of a Japanese businessman, and was so nonplussed by takeoff and landing that we had to coax her to even look out the window. ;)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Have you used these on a plane, and not just in the car? A lot of "volume limited" kids headphones don't get loud enough to be particularly useful on a plane.

arich35

Original Poster
Anything for your little one to suck on or chew on can help with their ears -- for a 2-year-old, maybe a sugar-free lollipop, Tootsie rolls, or some gummy fruit chews.

Other than that, it sounds like you're ready with "distractions"! If you're worried the experience might be scary or overwhelming, I'd recommend (to the extent possible - I know it's tough with a 2-year-old) talking with her ahead of time about what the plane will feel and sound like. We spent a few days before our kids' first flight reading them bedtime stories about it (e.g., The Noisy Airplane by Mike Downs, A Day At The Airport by Richard Scarry, and My First Trip On An Airplane by Vic Parker). I think it helped, maybe too well -- my youngest (barely 4 at the time) breezed through airport security with all the speed and efficiency of a Japanese businessman, and was so nonplussed by takeoff and landing that we had to coax her to even look out the window. ;)
The books are a good idea I will I have to see if I can get one or two. For the past few months we have been telling her we are going on an airplane to see Goofy and Minnie and she acts excited lol.

DisNerd86

Have you used these on a plane, and not just in the car? A lot of "volume limited" kids headphones don't get loud enough to be particularly useful on a plane.
Our daughter used them on all 4 legs of our flight to Iceland and back and seemed to be able to hear everything ok. My only complaint is that I had to readjust the placement of the speakers in the headband for her every time she yanked the cord too hard.

LovePop

Within a week of the trip, cut out all tablets, games, videos, sweets, toys, from baby, to keep it special. Let the baby be "entertainment hungry". Do the same thing on the way back.

Once get on airplane, only pull that stuff out when she is unhappy.
Ear pain: take baby painkiller if it happens and eating/drinking doesn't help.
I took my baby to Disney World on the plane (8 hour trip) yearly since he was 8 months old. Basically, gave him sweets whenever he seemed unhappy. No problems. Never had ear pain. Never cried.

A friend put her baby on some antihistamine medicine (something like that, google it to be sure) so that the baby passed out for the whole trip to Asia, 24 hours. But I never had to do that. But then, I wasn't doing Asia either. Imagine a 24 hour fight with a baby.

aliceismad

We have that same headband for our kiddo and she loves it. Has used it on several airplane rides now.

When she was 2ish, we also took "color magic" markers on the plane (the kind that only write on the book pages), a lightweight magnet activity board thing (from the Target holiday value bin), and a couple of little hot wheels cars.

arich35

Original Poster
We have that same headband for our kiddo and she loves it. Has used it on several airplane rides now.

When she was 2ish, we also took "color magic" markers on the plane (the kind that only write on the book pages), a lightweight magnet activity board thing (from the Target holiday value bin), and a couple of little hot wheels cars.
We bought the headband and she does not want to put it on lol.

arich35

Original Poster
Oh no! :( Ours loved loved loved her special "froggy hat." So much so that she would ask to wear it at home too. I'm sorry it's not working for you so far.
We will keep trying, she isn't a big fan of things on her head/face/. If it doesn't work on the plane I am not too worried, she doesn't seem to care about the volume on a tablet that much so we will be able to keep it down enough so others aren't bothered

arich35

Original Poster
Well tomorrow is the day, hoping our daughter will be distracted and wear her mask. Probably end up feeding her and letting her drink a little bit more to give her some breaks. Probably will end up being on the plane for roughly 3 hours

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Gummies for the ears, and bring a water bottle. If she gets annoyed with the mask, take a water break.

She's going to be fine.

Well tomorrow is the day, hoping our daughter will be distracted and wear her mask. Probably end up feeding her and letting her drink a little bit more to give her some breaks. Probably will end up being on the plane for roughly 3 hours

I just wanted to add,... The gummies for the ears are a great solution but you have to time it right. We still bring chewy candy for my daughter (usually mentos but those are chokables at two) and there's one golden rule for this tactic...

DON'T BUST THEM OUT UNTIL YOU'RE ON THE RUNWAY!!

I mean, I normally don't let my daughter have them until we're speeding down the line about to lift off. The first time we flew when she was a toddler, I brought gummies and gave them to her as we pulled away from the gate. But we sat in the lineup so long that by the time it was our turn to go all the gummies were gone.

Have a great trip!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom