Flying or Driving

steveNJ

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of driving costs from NJ area to WDW? We've always flown before but now with a 3yr old and maybe another we were wondering if it's cheaper/easier to drive. I know the downside of driving from this area is it's basically 2 days down and 2 days back (can't trust the wife to drive :lol: ) And is it even worth it to drive if we plan to stay on property and most likely wont leave (we may do a day at sea world but that's it).

Thanks!

Erik

Steve,

We were considering driving back around 9/11 due to travel fears, but once we did the math, we decided to fly, and were glad we did.

Some friends drove down from Philly and said they spent about $100 in gas each way (they drove a Nissan Altima, so decent mileage, I think). They stayed one night at a hotel for roughly $80. You have to figure that they spent about $50 on food.

So they are spending $230 each way - $460 total.

Not sure where you are in NJ, but with Southwest flying out of Philly now, you can probably get some good fares there. Newark probably has decent rates, too.

I guess if you love to drive, do it - but for my money (even traveling with a yound child) - you can't put a price on a 2.5 hour flight as opposed to a two-day drive. Not to mention how much more alert you'll be when you get there!

Good luck!

Upvote 0

weluvtink

We always drive from NJ. We don't stop overnight-just sleep a couple hours at a well lit rest area. We take turns driving so the other person gets to rest. If you really want to fly there are some great deals out of Atlantic City Airport($39 with Spirit).

Upvote 0

AliciaLuvzDizne

i live in ct
my parents used to hate planes and we used to fly ALL THE TIME
i cant stand it... 22/24 hours versus 2. you get to spend an extra 2 days in disney if you fly!
trust me...its a LONG LONG ride. Id say you really need to like being in the car. and why cant your wife drive? you never change roads until you get to florida. stay straight on 95 the whole time lol.

Upvote 0

CRJpilot

AliciaLuvzDizne said:
i live in ct
my parents used to hate planes and we used to fly ALL THE TIME
i cant stand it... 22/24 hours versus 2. you get to spend an extra 2 days in disney if you fly!
trust me...its a LONG LONG ride. Id say you really need to like being in the car. and why cant your wife drive? you never change roads until you get to florida. stay straight on 95 the whole time lol.
FLY FLY FLY. Hey I do it for a living, plus coming from NJ....yoooou might get to fly near enough to the parks to get a decent aerial view. It just depends on major direction of the plane...how busy MCO is, and What ATC feels like doing with you. Plus planes are so much faster and more comfortable.

Upvote 0

Mickifan17

I live in NY and have driven down a few times when I was about 18/19 yrs old. Coming from NY (1/2 hr north of NYC), it takes me longer to get through NJ than flying into Orlando.

If you're considering driving for money reasons, you might save a little, but consider this:

- Airfares are pretty good from NJ
- You'll spend 4 days driving rather than in WDW
- If you want to go to parks off the property, rent a car or take a cab
- Being the parent of a 4 1/2 yr old and an 11 month old, I'd rather spend 2 1/2 hours on a plane than 2 days in a car (we brought the baby when he was 3 months old and he was great on the plane)

Just something to think about.

Only 87 more days 'til I'm home :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

TheDisneyGirl02

I personally like to drive better than flying. You get to see how the geography of this country changes from state to state. After a couple trips, you'll start seeing things that you will look forward to...like the first run-away truck stop in VA, the beautiful mountains in VA and so many more! I don't know what it's like to drive with a 3 year old though...but my parents did the drive when my twin sister and I were only 4...so it can be done! :) With lots of little presents along the way! LOL

Have fun!

TheDisneyGirl02

Upvote 0

JBSLJames

For us, Driving is part of the vacation. We hope to do 10 hours the first day and six the next. One bonus is that, with the travel I do, I have enough rewards points for free hotel stays down and back. Another good thing about driving is having the extra room for souvenirs and the like. My kids have already said that they think Mickey would fit in the back of the van :lol:

Given a choice, I may fly if the cost was right and the flight was direct.

Upvote 0

brisem

We usually drive from CT, my wife hates to fly. We drive straight through leaving around 10p (so the kids sleep for half the trip) and get to Disney around 7-8p. It costed about $260 (which includes staying in a hotel on the way home).

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

after driving down to the World almost all my life (was SO much easier when we lived in Orlando ;) ) i suggest flying if you are able to afford it.

one reason is because the trip is so much shorter and you can take a nap on the plane, or just enjoy the flight.

another reason is because you actually can get to WDW on the day you book your hotel. that way you can check in, sleep (if you need to), grab some food, then hit the parks.

when it comes to driving, it is nice to get your fill of 95, or whatever route you take...i did enjoy seeing all those crazy eye-sores along I-95. (very funny) especially the GA peach adverts in FL. also you get to see the WDW billboards once you get closer to Orlando and even more once you get closer to the World.

the only problem is defintely the traffic and having to stop to stay somehwere overnight. also having to leave a few days early to get to your hotel on time.

just some advice from diddy_mouse :wave:

Upvote 0

brisem

Flying is more relaxing way to go. What I like best is by getting there around 7-8, check in and eat and go back to your room to sleep. You're rested enough to start resh the next morning.

Upvote 0

celticdog

This not a shameless plug for Southwest Air, but they have some great fairs right now. I saw some fairs as low as $89 to Orlando, and that was roundtrip! We don't have Southwest here. :cry:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom