Fluted pumpkin

CaptionNemo

Original Poster
I recently went on the living with the land tour at epcot and saw some odd looking vegitables from africa called fluted pumpkins. I would like to buy the seeds tothese but cant find the seeds annywhere! Any help would be appreiceated

Captain Hank

First of all, welcome to the boards!

I'm afraid that I can't specifically tell you about why you aren't having any luck with the pumpkin seeds, except that maybe since they're an African species, Disney got special permission from the USDA to import them. I'd be able to tell you for sure in a few years--I'm planning on interning in the Land greenhouses during my junior year of college. I know we have at least one former Land greenhouse cast member here on the boards. He might be able to help. I'll let him know about this thread.

Epcot82Guy

They are in fact African in origin, but they are grown in both Africa and Asia now. I was actually the first to put these out on show. Our crop researcher was working with them, and I cannot think of where his seed supplier is. I know it is in China, so you would have to get permission to grow them. However, there could be some speciality growers here in the US that have them available. They are a gourd species (obviously), so starting with that might be helpful. You can sometimes find them and other species like them in specialty gourd seed mixes. Also, if you can make it over to the Land, ask one of the boat operators if they can get in touch with the greenhouse staff. You might be able to get a lead from a team member that way. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom