Flower park planned for HK 2nd gate site

Robbiem

Original Poster
https://yp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...emporary-flower-garden-its-unused-land-during

HK is planning a short term lease of land planned for the second gate for a flower park based on keukenhof gardens in the Netherlands.

I guess this mean we’ll have to wait a lot longer for a second gate but if it brings more visitors to the resort it could speed up development of a downtown shopping area or more hotels, either way its better than leaving the site empty

IMDREW

https://yp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...emporary-flower-garden-its-unused-land-during

HK is planning a short term lease of land planned for the second gate for a flower park based on keukenhof gardens in the Netherlands.

I guess this mean we’ll have to wait a lot longer for a second gate but if it brings more visitors to the resort it could speed up development of a downtown shopping area or more hotels, either way its better than leaving the site empty

Yeah, kinda mixed feelings about this one. We’ll see..

JohnyKaz2078

Yeah its a good move to occupy a spot that has been siting vacant for the last 12 years, but it might just be a waste. I personally wouldn't want to visit HKDL because of the garden. I would take a stroll if I were there but I would definitely not visit for the garden itself.

BrianLo

They are already doing this in Shanghai. Well more accurately a flower park exists across from the second gate.

The second gate is more of a natural reserve/park one can enter for free. With a few rental options including a golf cart tour around it.

All well and good to use it for something if there won't be movement on that plot for 7-10 years.

Asa

Kaleido Park proposal at HKDR second phase land has been withdrawn. The city’s housing minister has urged Hong Kong Disneyland to give up a site reserved for the theme park’s future expansion to unlock land for transitional homes – a complete U-turn on the government policy of not allowing residential use there.

Housing secretary Frank Chan Fan said, “We have a contract with the [company] that the piece of land will be specially reserved for future extension of the theme park, and should not be used for residential use, but we hope Disneyland can consider its social responsibility and allow an exemption, so that the site can be used for transitional housing, until it has some long-term uses.”

Brummyboy92

Well that's not good, would Disney have there hands tied here, or can they say no and push ahead with park/gardens?

If this was to happen, I can't see Hong Kong Disney lasting long term. They really need to do something drastic, perhaps throw some money at a downtown Disney area as originally planned. Maybe even a small water park in between the 2 hotels, nothing massive, but enough so that it makes it worthwhile for people to stay on site for at least 2 nights.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Original Poster
I wonder if this is the HK government trying to get Disney to add more to the resort after the current plans end. With the recent issues in HK and associated drop in tourism the government may be trying to get a boost for HK if they can get a big investment announcemen.

On my visit last year while I loved the park the lack of anything else meant it was only a day trip from the city for me (&Im a big disney fan). The resort has a lot of potential - it probably has the best natural location of any Disneyland, but it desperately needs more to do to make it a destination rather thsn a day trip

jaxonp

Wow this is disappointing. HKDL has crazy potential but there’s too many problems to make it grow fast enough.

Robbiem

Original Poster
Well that's not good, would Disney have there hands tied here, or can they say no and push ahead with park/gardens?

If this was to happen, I can't see Hong Kong Disney lasting long term. They really need to do something drastic, perhaps throw some money at a downtown Disney area as originally planned. Maybe even a small water park in between the 2 hotels, nothing massive, but enough so that it makes it worthwhile for people to stay on site for at least 2 nights.

The original lease runs out this year but Disney can exercise two five year extensions so they could keep the land until 2030. This article is an interesting opinion piece from a local perspective.

I agree the resort desperately needs more to do. It is sad to see so much potential waisted But I’m not sure that Disney really cares

CJR

I agree the resort desperately needs more to do. It is sad to see so much potential waisted But I’m not sure that Disney really cares

It really does, but I don't know if the company even knows how to build a non-castle park. The success rate of the ones they've done is less than good and it's been a really long time since the last two, which were flops (DCA and WDS, not counting TDS here since it was for OLC).

That said, I don't see Disney being happy with housing near a park, especially when they have control to deny it. They seem to regret it each and every time they let people live close to their parks.

Although it's not the US, so maybe things are different in HK. Not sure if they could add stipulations like "No complaining about fireworks."

RandySavage

Disney ought to set up a BlueSky Preview Center on the Esplanade with lavish artwork and models for a spectacular 2nd Gate and DTD District (which would cost very little, considering they could just recycle the cancelled PirateLand model and countless other archived concepts/models they have in the WDI vaults as Placeholders).

That way when the calls for using the land for housing grow louder and stronger, they can point at it and say, "this is what we - in time - hope to build here. And it will generate lots of jobs and revenue and happiness in perpetuity for Hong Kong... just be patient."

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Disney ought to set up a BlueSky Preview Center on the Esplanade with lavish artwork and models for a spectacular 2nd Gate and DTD District (which would cost very little, considering they could just recycle the cancelled PirateLand model and countless other archived concepts/models they have in the WDI vaults as Placeholders).

That way when the calls for using the land for housing grow louder and stronger, they can point at it and say, "this is what we - in time - hope to build here. And it will generate lots of jobs and revenue and happiness in perpetuity for Hong Kong... just be patient."
Disney would have to commit to doing do it. There was too much of a difference between what they first announced for Hong Kong Disneyland and what opened. Nobody would believe hopes and it would be an easy target to gain support for a different use.

HKDLer

The general public in Hong Kong wouldn't care. Right now some people are even suggesting a quarantine centre on phase 2 site. o_O

Asa

The general public in Hong Kong wouldn't care. Right now some people are even suggesting a quarantine centre on phase 2 site. o_O

Henry Tang suggested the use of the Disney Hotels as quarantine centres. That would need approval from WDC. As HK govt is the larger shareholder WDC will probably have to agree. But I am sure it won't be for free. HK govt will have to pay for the use. WDC will probably welcome the income.

Sir_Cliff

Henry Tang suggested the use of the Disney Hotels as quarantine centres. That would need approval from WDC. As HK govt is the larger shareholder WDC will probably have to agree. But I am sure it won't be for free. HK govt will have to pay for the use. WDC will probably welcome the income.
Well that will help HKDL's image!

I'm sure it makes sense on some level for the government and people of Hong Kong, but you'd have to imagine Disney would fight hard to stop their resort hotels becoming coronavirus quarantine centres. It would be a little like turning the Grand Floridian into a leper colony for the winter months and then trying to market it again as a whimsical themed resort once spring rolled around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom