Flower and garden expands to 90 days in 2016

wdwgreek

This will be my third flower and Garden, I love it. Epcot comes alive and the depressing gloom that I feel in the summer when I visit vanishes. Yes they have the food and wine type elements, small portions of expensive food, but I enjoy it. I grab a unique dish or drink from each country and look at their topiaries or exhibits. Its really relaxing. My Spring trips are solo trips, with my cousins who are Dr's in Orlando joining me for dinner at Epcot. The demonstrations are great and as a newly 21 year old who loves Disney and consequently mixed drinks some fun drinks aren't bad either! Do I think Epcot deserve more love, attractions, and maintenance absolutely, but let's not bemoan the festival for making people excited about Epcot. .

Monorail_Red_77

I like the different Festivals and all and they do bring in the crowds and surely boost profit margins for the park. But maybe they should change the name from EPCOT to Festival Kingdom. I mean since EPCOT is in such bad shape for a while now and all.

Let's see we have:

March to May: Flower & Garden Fest
(flowers with a Disney touch)

June to July: Sweat to the Gloom Fest
(Celebrate the EPCOT that once was and never will be again. Breathtaking views of abandoned-in-place attractions)

September to November: Food & Wine Fest
(Food and wine from around the world)

December to February: Holiday Fest
(Celebrate the holidays longer than you probably should)

Yep, that about covers it I think.

;)

JohnD

I like the different Festivals and all and they do bring in the crowds and surely boost profit margins for the park. But maybe they should change the name from EPCOT to Festival Kingdom. I mean since EPCOT is in such bad shape for a while now and all.

Let's see we have:

March to May: Flower & Garden Fest
(flowers with a Disney touch)

June to July: Sweat to the Gloom Fest
(Celebrate the EPCOT that once was and never will be again. Breathtaking views of abandoned-in-place attractions)

September to November: Food & Wine Fest
(Food and wine from around the world)

December to February: Holiday Fest
(Celebrate the holidays longer than you probably should)

Yep, that about covers it I think.

;)

Actually, what you call "Holiday Fest" is the actual Holidays around the World (I'm including Candlelight Processional, the Joyful Gospel Choir and the holiday storytelling at the pavilions around WS) which starts just after Thanksgiving. It ends in early January. I, too, enjoy the F&G festival but also agree it takes these year-round festivals to keep Epcot running.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, but eventually they need to just give up on calling it a festival and just call it what it is. The thing that keeps Epcot in the black. Heck, at this point just make it year round and stop charging admission to Epcot.
To me, any complaints over Epcot's state have little to do with the festivals, which are extremely popular and require a considerable investment from Disney (obviously with an even more considerable return), and more to do with the stagnation of the park at large. Expansion of the festivals is a net-gain to guests as the park is much more enjoyable with the added activities
Actually, what you call "Holiday Fest" is the actual Holidays around the World (I'm including Candlelight Processional, the Joyful Gospel Choir and the holiday storytelling at the pavilions around WS) which starts just after Thanksgiving. It ends in early January. I, too, enjoy the F&G festival but also agree it takes these year-round festivals to keep Epcot running.
I think a lot of people like these special festivals at Epcot and DHS and the parties at MK because the fact that something that only runs for a limited time is now available for much of the year makes your vacation feel more special. I know I wouldn't consider pulling the kids out of school for a long weekend in October if not for Food and Wine and MNSSHP.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I think Epcot with a festival at all times seems right. It has the space, and the varying facilities to handle different events. Seems like the only time there isn't any kind of festival now is summer and Jan/Feb. Since the crowds in summer are already big enough, a Jan/Feb seems like the next thing coming. I know they once planned a technology festival during those months, but that didn't work out.

Nmoody1

Back in 2001 they did offer food and drink in 'holiday tents' around world showcase. Was a nice touch... This was a nice touch and before the only reason people went to epcot was to get drunk!

rael ramone

So we complain about Star Wars Weekends ending but also about another festival being extended during the same time period?

People will find a reason to complain about anything.

I've never been to SWW, but Epcot + Festival = lots of drunk people. I'm guessing SWW doesn't have that problem.

brb1006

I just wish there was a Topiary at the France Pavilion in Epcot for a future Flower and Garden Festival which features Duchess and the kittens from The Aristocats. I'm imagining it being based on the Scales And Arpeggios scene.

Jacklyn

I'm excited for the expansion since we will get to experience F&G for the first time now during our May trip. Anyone happen to know when the concert lineup is typically announced?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm excited for the expansion since we will get to experience F&G for the first time now during our May trip. Anyone happen to know when the concert lineup is typically announced?

The schedule for the Garden Rocks concerts is sometimes available by late winter (although this may vary a bit from year to year). I'm also thinking that with the extended festival period of 90 days in 2016, that may also affect the timing of the announcement. The best way to find out the F&G schedule is to check the WDWMagic site. They share new information in a very timely manner.

rael ramone

Concert's why would they have concerts this year, Interferes with Alcohol sales.... And costs money

I'm guessing the acts do it for free (for now) as a promotional appearance for their own good. Though who knows when they will institute the NFL Super Bowl model by making the acts PAY for the right to perform there...

And depending on the act they DO drive admissions. During Food & Wine Boys II Men attracted a large number of well dressed people (women in dresses, men in dress slacks).

BoarderPhreak

Nothing says spring like fake topiaries accompanied by overpriced food and watered down drinks!

Seriously though, I love the FGF. It's so nice to see everything blooming, accompanied by Disney's "help" - the weather's excellent and crowds moderate (most of the time).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom