News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Thelazer

I can't see how Chapek doesn't cancel Lake Nona after this. It would build him a little bit of CM support as well as stick it back at DeSantis, making him look a little stronger than what he's looked since, well, always.

Well as we've heard, the CA based folks didn't really want to move to Florida anyways... so win / win if he does cancel it at least for those folks. As far as support, MOST front line CM's, care only about the paycheck and the health benefits....

Kamikaze

No, it would make the situation like it is everywhere else and they are back to normal expectations.

No one would be looking to call 911 because they know a paramedic visit is 'free' here. 911 is not your health clinic.
Ehh, lots of people call 911 for non-emergencies.

Kamikaze

Well as we've heard, the CA based folks didn't really want to move to Florida anyways... so win / win if he does cancel it at least for those folks. As far as support, MOST front line CM's, care only about the paycheck and the health benefits....
Correct, those are the CMs I was referring to.

CaptainAmerica

I dont go to chick fil a because I don't agree with their politics. But they shouldn't be barred from opening locations because of that. Its my personal choice not to give them money.
A better analogy would be if Chick-fil-a didn't have to abide by state health inspections because they had a sweetheart deal with the legislature. Revoking that special privilege would be entirely legitimate.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District is corporate welfare.

PlaneCrazy1978

There are repercussions for a company speaking out against a law, just as their are repercussions for politicians going after the one of the largest companies in the world. Everyone, including us, loses in some fashion.

I don't think there is much we can do except vote our conscious at the booth and spend out dollars at places we want to. It'll all shake out somehow.

the_rich

There are repercussions for a company speaking out against a law, just as their are repercussions for politicians going after the one of the largest companies in the world. Everyone, including us, loses in some fashion.

I don't think there is much we can do except vote our conscious at the booth and spend out dollars at places we want to. It'll all shake out somehow.
Repercussions are fine as long as they are coming from private citizens. Once the government gets involved then we have a dangerous situation.

Disstevefan1

This will play out and we will see what truly happens...
I am willing to bet Disney will win.
As for the losers, I am willing to bet it will be Florida taxpayer.
The tourists will get what they get and as usual pay more for whatever it is.
I hope I am wrong.

lordsigma

There's no disputing that there should repercussions for speaking out on a controversial issue in the market and public discourse. But not retaliation by government - that's a step too far and essentially shreds the first amendment.

CaptainAmerica

This makes absolutely no sense.
I have three kids. Pretend I give each of them $20 per week as allowance. If one of my kids annoys me and I decide to eliminate her allowance, that's targeted punishment. But that isn't what's happening here.

What's happening here is that I currently give my favorite kid $40 per week as allowance just because I like her better than the others. I decide to revisit my allowance policy because it's unfair, so I cut the privileged kid to the same $20 that the other two kids get. This is merely leveling the playing field.

lazyboy97o

I'm not all that familiar with what is going on and I'm not reading 87 pages to try to cover everything. Is there a chance the reasoning behind this move is because of the affordable housing Disney plans to build on site? Does population/permanent resident levels have any affect on whether an area can or cannot be an improvement district? I understand Golden Oak is on site, along with members of the improvement district board, but is there a population threshold an area has to stay under to remain as an improvement district?
It has nothing to do with the affordable housing. Golden Oak residents do not live within the District and neither would the housing residents.
Everyone remember that they made this bill broad enough to apply to a number of special districts so that they can't be blamed for targeting Disney specifically.
They’ve outright said it in session.
They most certainly can. All they'd have to do is tie the regulation to companies with more than X employees in the county (Disney only) or tie it specifically to theme parks or resorts with more than X customers per year (Disney only).
Those schemes would still impact the other parks. And again, the locals don’t want this.
That's pretty unlikely though. Even as antagonistic as Florida is right now, it's still more business friendly than California. And Republicans aren't trying to exempt Disney from any business benefits that apply to everyone. They're most removing Disney's unfair advantage with RDIC.
It exempts WDW from oversight that the other Orlando parks are subject to.
What unfair advantage? What oversight? Give specific examples.
A better analogy would be if Chick-fil-a didn't have to abide by state health inspections because they had a sweetheart deal with the legislature. Revoking that special privilege would be entirely legitimate.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District is corporate welfare. The Left used to believe in eliminating corporate welfare.
The District is not exempt from state regulations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom