Trip Report Florida Fresh Spring March 2018

Hello all and welcome to my trip report! I've been back for about a week but I've been slow to upload pictures and I actually caught a pretty nasty cold that has had me down the last couple of days.

So here's the intro:

Who: Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad)
Where are we from?: Northern Wisconsin (So were were definitely in need of some Florida sun.)
When: March 10-17, 2018
Resort: All Star Sports (we stay value because it is the cheapest and we can use that extra $$ for good food and drinks)

Start of the journey:

We actually started our trip on Friday March 9 and drove up to Minneapolis and stayed at a hotel near the airport. Our flight was leaving early in the morning and we didn't want to have drive early in the morning to the airport. So we relaxed at the Hilton by the airport and had a nice dinner at the Mall of America. We did have a crazy experience at the pool area here...we were just getting into the pool and we saw a pre-teen girl get out of the hot tub and was walking quickly (not running) towards the pool and she slipped and her head banged like a basketball on the pool area floor. It was pretty horrifying. I was about to get out of the pool and go help her but her parents were there and helped her and got medical help. So that put a little bit of a damper on what turned out to be our only pool time of the trip but I'm sure the girl had a worse time of it then we did.

Me with my first beer of the trip at the Mall of America. It was a Surly Furious, a local brew.
IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

Relaxing at the Hilton with a drink. A fancy rum and Coke for hubs and a Grain Belt (another Minnesota beer) for me. This was at about 7:30-8pm and we were basically falling asleep.
IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

At the airport bright and early for our flight! The Caribou coffee place wasn't open yet, but I like their coffee so much better than Dunkin', Starbucks, or even McDonald's so I waited about 15 minutes for it to open before heading to the gate.
IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

All aboard! We splurge a little bit and always get the big front seat when we fly with Spirit, it is almost like first class but without the booze and the meal.
IMG_1335.JPG

Bye bye!
IMG_1341.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yay! I'm here!!

I love love love your mickey scarf!! You rock it :cool:

Thanks for reading along and for the scarf compliment. I couldn't stand to wear a non-Disney shirt while at Disney so I just had to accent with the scarf! ;)

I'm also the nerd who reads books about Disney when in Disney :joyfull:

Nerds are the best!:happy::bookworm:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Great start to your TR as always Amy

Nice to see you are letting Brad come along for a change - you are the queen of the solo trip!!!

JK - I know you and hubs go often!!

I am trying to convince my family to take a step down in resort (from Deluxe down to Mod) to have more $$ for other things.
Slowly convincing them for the next trip (which is not planned yet).
It is sort of like trying to turn an aircraft carrier around - these things do not turn like they are on rails!!

Following along

Max

I thought it was rather nice of me to allow Brad to tag along!:joyfull:

I can understand why your family would want to stay at the Deluxes, I would love to and I could be then I could only go once a year. So values it is for me. Although I am throwing in a couple nights at a moderate in June. The mods can be quite lovely too. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be able to sweet talk them into it.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yay, your trip report is here!! I'm going to be looking in the background of your pictures to see if I can find myself LOL. Nomad Lounge is a place I was hoping to go this trip but it never did work out - next time! We took the $60 for opting out of housekeeping too. We never use housekeeping when we're there so it was a steal for us :)

That would be funny if we saw each other in the background of our pictures. I must admit I have been looking close at yours. Definitely put Nomad Lounge at the top of your list for when you go back, I find it very relaxing there.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm in for more!

Welcome and thanks for reading!

I'm excited for another trip report of yours! I ate at Cowboy Jack's last time I was at MOA. I can't really remember if I enjoyed it or not.

Thanks for reading! I had pretty low expectations of Cowboy Jack's but hubs has been asking to try it the last few times we have been at the MOA so I finally gave in. We shared apps and really liked everything we got. It will be one of our top choices next time. I also like Twin City Grill. Do you get to the MOA often? Maybe our paths will cross there someday.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Following along, always enjoy your great trip reports, Thanks:)

Thanks for following along again!

Definitely following along. So jealous about your Jiko meal...looked scrumptious! I'm looking forward to your EPCOT food suggestions. :hungry:

I was hoping you'd find my report! :) I will have plenty of Epcot food suggestions! You don't think you'd get your guy to eat at Jiko?

The drinks in Nomad Lounge are delicious! Me too, I love drinks with rum just as Brad!

Following along for the rest of your report.

All this talk of Nomad Lounge makes me want to be there again! I like rum too but usually my hubs only orders rum and cokes so I'm proud when he orders something else even though it is always a fruity drink. Bartenders always put my beer in front of him and the fruity drink in front of me!

What! Lambu Libation for the husband?!! No Rum and Coke. I'm impressed. :happy: I actually had one while visiting with @imahistorygeek and @lostpro9het, it was delicious and I didn't even feel the alcohol.... until I stood up and walked away. :hilarious:

I know! Are you proud of him trying a different rum drink!;) The Lambu was good and often the alcohol isn't that upfront. But like you when I stand up....whoa baby! :joyfull:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay I probably won't get through Day 2, but I'll put up a few pictures.

I started the day with the breakfast of champions....Mickey waffles and coffee.
IMG_1361.JPG

We went to Hollywood Studios for extra magic and hit up Toy Story right away.
IMG_4833.JPG

As we waited with the herd before opening I thought this detailing looked cool on one of the stores.
IMG_4835.JPG

Then Toy Story, one of the last times through this entrance.
IMG_4838.JPG

Brad's new ride.
IMG_4841.JPG

What a dork!
IMG_4842.JPG

Unfortunately Brad won.
IMG_0988.JPG

MotherofaPrincessLover

Thanks for reading! I had pretty low expectations of Cowboy Jack's but hubs has been asking to try it the last few times we have been at the MOA so I finally gave in. We shared apps and really liked everything we got. It will be one of our top choices next time. I also like Twin City Grill. Do you get to the MOA often? Maybe our paths will cross there someday.
Fairly often. I live like two hours away from there in southern MN so we shop a lot up in the cities. My daughter is into American Girl so we seem to make frequent trips there.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Im in looking forward to your report.

Enjoying the trip report! With our upcoming trip I am very tempted to give this trip report a try, but will likely be no where as good as yours.

Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it so far. If you do a trip report I'm sure it would be great!

Amy and Brad, I'm here!! I really have looked forward to your TR. You have definitely gotten me excited about our upcoming trip!! :D
Ohh, all your food pictures look so yummy! We have never tried Jiko, but maybe this trip?? :hungry:

Oh yes try Jiko! I am glad my trip report will help you get excited for yours! When are you going?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Fairly often. I live like two hours away from there in southern MN so we shop a lot up in the cities. My daughter is into American Girl so we seem to make frequent trips there.

We are about an hour and 15 minutes (with little traffic) away. If you ever want to meet up sometime let me know. We also go to the MN Landscape Arboretum a lot and we have to pass right by the MOA.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After Toy we walked over to Tower expecting a short wait since it wasn't even a half hour into EMH and the wait was already almost an hour. Turns out only part of it was running. So we didn't want to wait and Brad was more than eager to head to Star Tours. He was also super giddy to see the gate to Galaxy's Edge, just like a little boy at Christmas!

By the way, he wanted me post his "super cool Porg shirt".
IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4853.JPG

And front row on Star Tours.
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG

We also went to Launch Bay and met BB8, I always look terrible in these pictures. I don't quite know what to do with a robot I guess.
IMG_1014.JPG

Thought about the passholder shirt and decided to pass. I'm sure there will be another one when the land opens.
IMG_4868.JPG

After this TOT was even a longer wait so we decided to head over to Epcot for our fast passes and some Flower and Food! Oops, I mean Flower and Garden.

Coming up soon: Epcot fun! Although I might not be posting until Thursday as we might go see Wrinkle in Time tomorrow. Hubs wants to do something fun on Wednesday since he rarely has Wednesdays off.

Songbird76

The flight went fine and we landed about 30 minutes early, so that is always ALRIGHT with me!

We usually enter the airport on the side of the Earport but we were over by the other WDW store and there was a heavy load of people around us so I only got this blurry shot.
View attachment 272302

Magical Express wasn't insane at all. I thought it would be super crowded on a Saturday in spring break season but we ended up waiting less than 10 minutes to get on a bus and left shortly after boarding.

We always take these nerdy shots in the ME area.
View attachment 272300

View attachment 272303

I was going to watch the video but shortly after Gus gave his safety announcements the feed cut so I pulled out a book. My husband thought it was super geeky that I was reading a book about the Haunted Mansion on the way to WDW. But hey, that is me...super geeky.
View attachment 272301

Soon I could see paradise in the front window....
View attachment 272304

And then we were there! Hurrah!

View attachment 272305

We had done online check-in and had not gotten a notice about our room. There wasn't anyone in line when we walked in so we checked in and made a request about our room location and I put some gift cards on our account. They also offered us the deal for not taking housekeeping. I know it is a little controversial on here about taking it vs not taking it, but we decided to take money and run. We are fairly neat people and don't tend to make a mess so the $60 we got was used for food at Flower and Garden. It worked out fine for us. We called the third day in and got a more towels and soap (they brought a big bag of shampoos and soap). I plan to do this again when we go in July. However we will be there longer so we will probably schedule a couple days for our room to have a good clean.

So with that all taken care of we made our way to the bus stop and to our first park.
View attachment 272306
That poor girl. I hope she was ok!!
I have a question....I love the idea of getting the gift cards for giving up mousekeeping, but we stay for about 2 weeks...I know you can get towels and soap and stuff, but how do you do trash? I don't need anyone to come in and make the beds or anything, but I would want the trash emptied....how does that work? Do you set it outside your door, or bring it to a dumpster of some sort, or do you just have to deal with it until you check out?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom