Trip Report Florida Fresh Spring March 2018

Hello all and welcome to my trip report! I've been back for about a week but I've been slow to upload pictures and I actually caught a pretty nasty cold that has had me down the last couple of days.

So here's the intro:

Who: Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad)
Where are we from?: Northern Wisconsin (So were were definitely in need of some Florida sun.)
When: March 10-17, 2018
Resort: All Star Sports (we stay value because it is the cheapest and we can use that extra $$ for good food and drinks)

Start of the journey:

We actually started our trip on Friday March 9 and drove up to Minneapolis and stayed at a hotel near the airport. Our flight was leaving early in the morning and we didn't want to have drive early in the morning to the airport. So we relaxed at the Hilton by the airport and had a nice dinner at the Mall of America. We did have a crazy experience at the pool area here...we were just getting into the pool and we saw a pre-teen girl get out of the hot tub and was walking quickly (not running) towards the pool and she slipped and her head banged like a basketball on the pool area floor. It was pretty horrifying. I was about to get out of the pool and go help her but her parents were there and helped her and got medical help. So that put a little bit of a damper on what turned out to be our only pool time of the trip but I'm sure the girl had a worse time of it then we did.

Me with my first beer of the trip at the Mall of America. It was a Surly Furious, a local brew.
IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

Relaxing at the Hilton with a drink. A fancy rum and Coke for hubs and a Grain Belt (another Minnesota beer) for me. This was at about 7:30-8pm and we were basically falling asleep.
IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

At the airport bright and early for our flight! The Caribou coffee place wasn't open yet, but I like their coffee so much better than Dunkin', Starbucks, or even McDonald's so I waited about 15 minutes for it to open before heading to the gate.
IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

All aboard! We splurge a little bit and always get the big front seat when we fly with Spirit, it is almost like first class but without the booze and the meal.
IMG_1335.JPG

Bye bye!
IMG_1341.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Next stop America and following our guide, Robert. It was so strange to see some vehicles on the walkways!
IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5416.JPG

I'm sure I've seen these garbage cans before, but today I was appreciating the details and I found the design charming.
IMG_5418.JPG

IMG_5420.JPG

Japan was our last truly peaceful last stop. It was our last stop before World Showcase fully opened to the public.
IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG
IMG_5425.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Some more pictures from around Japan.
IMG_5432.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

Next time you are in the park you might want to get these statues a little tap, you might be surprised of what they are made out of and it isn't marble or iron.
IMG_5434.JPG

We checked out the Kawaii exhibit, it is all about Japan's Cute Culture. And it was a cute exhibit. I was surprised at some of the history of this "cute" culture.
IMG_5437.JPG

IMG_5438.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

IMG_5446.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
By the time we made it to Morocco the World Showcase had opened. This pavilion wasn't too mobbed with people but it was now strange to have other people around that weren't in our tour. We explored a little museum in the pavilion that I hadn't been into before. There were some nice pieces of art and traditional dress in there. Our guide did tell us a lot of interesting things about Morocco which I put to good use the week I returned to work. The social studies class I teach was studying North Africa and I shared some of the information I learned about Morocco with them.
IMG_5448.JPG
IMG_5450.JPG
IMG_5451.JPG
IMG_5453.JPG
IMG_5455.JPG
IMG_5456.JPG
IMG_5458.JPG
IMG_5461.JPG
IMG_5464.JPG
IMG_5465.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Then it was time for lunch at the Rose and Crown. Lunch was nice. I really hadn't had much chance to talk with any of my tour group. We were assigned our seating. I ended up with our guide, a couple who had a service dog with them, and a group of five. That group of five was a little odd. There was a 20 something year old and then his parents and I think the parents friends. Anyway, after the entree the 20 something disappeared until we picked up our tour again. And his dad was a little bit of a overbearing know-it-all who really didn't know much. Examples, we were talking about travel and our guide mentioned that his favorite vacation spot was Hawaii. A bunch of us also said how wonderful Hawaii is. This guy said Hawaii isn't that great. He admitted he hadn't ever been there but he was from West Palm Beach and he can go out into clear water there just as easily. He said West Palm Beach is Hawaii just without volcanoes and not a long expensive flight to get there. We were all a little taken aback and I think I said something about how cool Volcanoes National Park was and others agreed and he didn't say anything to that. Now I've been to Hawaii a few times, and while I haven't been to West Palm Beach I have been to Miami and the southern tip area of Florida I really don't think they are a like at all. Hawaii is far more magical.

Oh another example of his attitude, for lack right now of a better word, was he asked Robert (our guide) if he had ever been to Disneyland Paris. Robert said yes and had some positive things to say about it but he also added that he mostly stayed in Paris and toured the Paris area most of his stay. I think he said he spent just a couple days at DLP but did not stay at the Disney hotels. I and another person said we had been there as well and I mentioned staying at DLP's Sequoia Lodge. The guy looked at me and then asked Robert a few times about what staying at those Disney resorts was like and Robert kept telling him he didn't stay at them. I mentioned again how lovely Sequoia Lodge was and he looked at me and changed the subject to the Grand Canyon. It was annoying but mostly a little funny.

Anyway, lunch was a scotch egg, bangers and mash and sticky toffee pudding. To drink I had a Diet Coke, I don't drink soda anymore but occasionally I will have a Diet Coke. The mix that the Rose and Crown used was very good and crisp, with that I didn't really miss having a beer!

IMG_1623.JPG
IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG

After lunch we toured the pavilion.
IMG_5483.JPG

As Robert explained the thatch of this building a guy standing nearby moved closer into our group so he could hear what was going on. Now that I found funny!
IMG_5484.JPG
IMG_5485.JPG
IMG_5488.JPG
IMG_5490.JPG

We even got a greeting from Mary!
IMG_5493.JPG
IMG_5494.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I know I said I wouldn't share a lot of the tour information but the couple tidbits I'm going to share here don't spoil anything.

This picture is in the Tea Caddy and I guess was actually from the Twinings home. Our guide said that one of the Twinings was in the shop one day either doing something with the shop or on the tour (I can't remember which) , any our guide was there leading a tour and the Twinings guy said it came from his family's living room!
IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

Notice anything unique about the sign?
IMG_5501.JPG

Then we moved on to Canada and learned about the gardens and the totems.
IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

I also learned that this sled is over a hundred years old. The real deal for these "prop".
IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5512.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We went to the waterfall and headed down to the theater area and headed backstage again. And we were able to walk over to Soarin and have a ride, which fit because we had just gone around the world. After Soarin' we headed back to the old Millennium Village and walked inside and once we were outside again the tour was over. We were given special pins and headed out on our own. Like I said before it was a fantastic tour, and well worth my time and money.

IMG_5516.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

IMG_5521.JPG

After our ride on Soarin we moved to the front and Robert pointed out a couple things on the equipment and about the theater.
IMG_5525.JPG

And a look into the old village.
IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5527.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

IMG_5530.JPG

I made my way towards the front of the park because I had hot date to get to!
IMG_5534.JPG

IMG_5535.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I did stop and got another AP magnet and stopped at the Art of Disney store and admired the art for a bit. Then I hopped on a packed monorail to head to the TTC.
IMG_5536.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG

Now that I'm at the TTC...which way and where am I going to go to meet up with my hubs? I left your earlier with him on a boat now I'm at the TTC. Guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow (or my next post) to find out!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting to read about the tour of the WS.
I already did the Wild Africa Trek in the AK and the Keys to the Kingdom tour in MK. I was looking to book a tour in November so this one comes to the list of interesting possibilitys!
What a neat tour. Something to add to my bucket list there.

Glad you liked my little tour review, it really was very interesting. It did involve a lot of standing and of course walking so I'm glad I didn't do it on a super hot day.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I arrived to our meeting point about 20-25 minutes before hubs, and our meeting point was the Polynesian for Trader Sam's!

I thought about sitting in the lobby but as I walked towards it, the weather had turned out to be so nice outside I wanted to find someplace to relax outside. So I walked towards the boat dock hoping to find some sort of bench. On my walk I passed by the pool and the pool bar had a little walk up area outside the pool fence so even non-guests of the resort could order something. My original thought was that a club soda with lime sounded refreshing, but I glanced down at the the beer choices. I noticed they had Kona Hanalei Island on tap. Oh yummy... Here is a description of the beer from the Kona Brewing Company website. "Hanalei Island IPA is a refreshing fruit-forward IPA created in honor of the lush Hawaiian Island of Kauai, also known as the Garden Isle, and Hawaii’s beloved classic POG juice, a blend of passionfruit, orange and guava."

After I had purchased my beer I continued to the boat dock for a place to sit and I noticed two empty loungers on the beach. So I decided to sit there and wait for hubs. It was glorious. I had an excellent view, a tasty drink, and warm sunshine. Better yet I only saw a two people walk by from a boat the whole time I was there, until hubs' boat got there. It was some wonderful isolation.
IMG_5537.JPG

IMG_5538.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

Once hubs' arrived we walked over to Trader Sam's and put our name on the list but in a few minutes we returned and stood in line. Actually we were the first in line, but there were only about 15 minutes until the bar opened.
IMG_1643.JPG

So needless to say we were able to find a spot inside. Trader Sam's here and in Disneyland are my favorite bars. I just love the theme and the antics inside. We actually got the same server as the last time, which was fantastic because he has a great personality.
IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

Our drinks, mine is on the left and Brad's is on the right.
I got a
Castaway Crush
Leblon Cachaça, Cream of Coconut, Pineapple, Cinnamon, and fresh Lime Juice

His:

HippopotoMai-Tai

Coruba Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, Bols Orange Curaçao, Orgeat (Almond), Organic Agave Nectar, and fresh Lime Juice. Served in a souvenir Tiki Glass (We did not keep the glass.)
IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

Uh-Oa!
IMG_1652.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We had a great time at Trader Sam's and it did get crowded. We did get some people that asked to share our table. Actually during the time we were there we had 3 different couples share our table.

The first couple came over after sharing a table with another couple, but apparently the people they sat with were no welcoming and the people that joined us said that they saw us and we looked nice so they decided to ask to join us. They were nice people and soon another table became available and since they were expecting more people in their party they moved but thanked us for welcoming them.

The next couple was two gentleman who were going to eat at Kona Cafe but decided to check out Trader Sam's beforehand. They were fun to talk to as well, and when they saw some of our food they were a little jealous but I'm sure they had good stuff at Kona too.

The third couple joined us as were were almost done there but they were very similar to us. It was like us but 15 years later in life. They were a hoot and we wouldn't have minded chatting some more.

This was the first time people have asked to share our table in there and we didn't mind at all.

Anyway, we had two rounds of drinks and two rounds of food. I already showed the first round of drinks, so here is the first round of food.
Kalua Pork Tacos and Corn-battered Portuguese Sausages with Curry Ketchup
Our server alluded to the fact that the sausages might be going away soon, but I hope not because they are great. So are the pork tacos, I even like the slaw on them and I normally don't like cabbage.
IMG_1653.JPG

With round two of drinks I switched to the Shrunken Zombie, he stayed with the Mai Tai.
IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

Round two of food we each got our own here: Chicken lettuce cups for me and Hawaiian Poke for Brad. We enjoyed them both. He did let me have some of the wonton chips that came with his poke and those were delicious!
IMG_1662.JPG

Then it was time to go to the Magic Kingdom, and despite our food we still left a little light headed. But that soon passed as we waited for the boat.
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1675.JPG

And we arrived at the MK!
IMG_1678.JPG

We did 7D and then a spin on the carousel
IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_5539.JPG

Then a little Country Bears as we waited for our Thunder fast pass.
IMG_5540.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
By the time we made it back to Main Street the hub was packed for Happily Ever After. We ended up near the front of the castle. It was an interesting view point. While we could see the projections very well, some of the fireworks got a little blocked. But it did make for some interesting pictures. I wouldn't recommend that spot, especially for first time viewers, and I wouldn't necessarily stand there again but it was okay for one time.

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_5556.JPG

Hunchback is by far my favorite part of this show. When we went to Paris we went to the top of Notre Dame (amazing!) and the next day we were at DLP and watched their night show which at that time featured a similar Hunchback scene. So seeing this reminds me of the fantastic time we had in Paris and at DLP.
IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5561.JPG

IMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5565.JPG

Zipadeelady

By the time we made it back to Main Street the hub was packed for Happily Ever After. We ended up near the front of the castle. It was an interesting view point. While we could see the projections very well, some of the fireworks got a little blocked. But it did make for some interesting pictures. I wouldn't recommend that spot, especially for first time viewers, and I wouldn't necessarily stand there again but it was okay for one time.

View attachment 276511

View attachment 276513

View attachment 276514

View attachment 276515

View attachment 276516

View attachment 276517

Hunchback is by far my favorite part of this show. When we went to Paris we went to the top of Notre Dame (amazing!) and the next day we were at DLP and watched their night show which at that time featured a similar Hunchback scene. So seeing this reminds me of the fantastic time we had in Paris and at DLP.
View attachment 276518

View attachment 276519

View attachment 276520

View attachment 276521
Such a great post to wake up to this morning!! Your Castaway drink at TS sounds so delicious!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here are some more scenes from Happily Ever After.

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5567.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5575.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

We made it through the crowds to Tomorrowland and decided to listen to Sonny Eclipse for a little bit.
IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

After listening for a bit we rode the Peoplemover and got a snack. He got popcorn and I got a sundae from Auntie Gravity's. It tasted better than it looked.
IMG_5587.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday March 15

Off to Epcot again this morning, but this time for attractions and more Flower and Garden food!
But first....coffee! And first at the bus stop this morning.
IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

We arrived about the same time as I did yesterday because it was an EMH and Spaceship Earth was looking glorious!
IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

Our first attraction was Test Track. We saw this sign about math in line. I am not a math fan.
IMG_1249.JPG

We each designed our own cars.
This is Brad's.
IMG_1250.JPG

This is mine.
IMG_1705.JPG

Time to test them. Brad's ended up winning by 1 point.
IMG_1707.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom