Florida commission: Disney discriminated against autistic visitors

photomatt

I found an article that describes the old GAC. The link is here - http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/10/25/disney-parks-disability-access-service-dud/ A line in the article states, "The previous service [old GAC] offered no-wait access to theme park rides and attractions for disabled guests and their families, making vacations that would still be difficult somewhat easier."

So, if the new system makes people wait in the FastPass line, then I could understand where there would be concern. However, the Disney website clearly states, "What will Disney Parks do if a Guest is concerned the DAS Card doesn’t meet their needs?
Disney Parks have long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs and will continue to work individually with guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances. Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual needs."

I don't know why Disney would not make an adjustment for an autistic person, or any person who could not wait in a line. The website clearly says that Disney will make adjustments. I think the issue is nothing more than people don't want to wait at all.

I also want to add that I do empathize with anyone with a disability. I think Disney should accommodate your needs, within reason. I do think front-of-the-line access, with no in-queue wait whatsoever, is a reasonable accommodation for some people. I just think you should have to wait somewhere comfortable for your reservation time.

rangerbob

Until you live with an autistic child please don't judge what a child can and can't do. I deal with it daily. I know what my son can handle and we try to expand on it continually as per recommendations by his Drs. Does the term fight or flight sound like fun? I've experienced it with him several times in regular lines before I learned about the GAC pass due to the packed nature of a line. Had to make a very quick exit from the line due to it. Using a FP line I can assist with maximizing space around us so he is enjoying the wait.

We have adjusted to what Disney has done and we make use of the DAS passes with getting the times and setting up FP--- times in advanced and have no problems with it. As for the Previous post the GAC pass never provided immediate access to a ride. It would allow access to the FP line though-out the day.

CaptainAmerica

Until you live with an autistic child please don't judge what a child can and can't do. I deal with it daily. I know what my son can handle and we try to expand on it continually as per recommendations by his Drs. Does the term fight or flight sound like fun? I've experienced it with him several times in regular lines before I learned about the GAC pass due to the packed nature of a line. Had to make a very quick exit from the line due to it. Using a FP line I can assist with maximizing space around us so he is enjoying the wait.
None of that is the point. This allegation is that Disney DISCRIMINATED against autistic guests. Failure to provide special accommodations (which Disney does, but even if they didn't) is NOT the same as "discrimination." If this is discrimination then so are:

1. Height requirements (discrimination against those with dwarfism)
2. High prices (discrimination against poor people)
3. Being in Florida (discrimination against those with xeroderma pigmentosum)
4. Weight limits (discrimination against heavy people)
5. Dress code (discrimination against nudists)

You see how ridiculous this gets? Providing reasonable accommodations does not mean you have to bend over backwards to perfectly cater to every single possible type of guest that comes through the front gates.

dreamfinder

OK. How does this differ from the old system then?

Certain attractions on the old system the guest could essentially do continual re-rides. Get off, ride again, get off, ride again. Etc, riding a single ride 20-30 times during a day. The current system they may have to wait a period of time between rides depending on the wait. So some guests who perhaps gained a therapeutic benefit from the re-rides are now unhappy.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
None of that is the point. This allegation is that Disney DISCRIMINATED against autistic guests. Failure to provide special accommodations (which Disney does, but even if they didn't) is NOT the same as "discrimination." If this is discrimination then so are:

You see how ridiculous this gets? Providing reasonable accommodations does not mean you have to bend over backwards to perfectly cater to every single possible type of guest that comes through the front gates.
You get the point!

photomatt

Certain attractions on the old system the guest could essentially do continual re-rides. Get off, ride again, get off, ride again. Etc, riding a single ride 20-30 times during a day. The current system they may have to wait a period of time between rides depending on the wait. So some guests who perhaps gained a therapeutic benefit from the re-rides are now unhappy.
I never thought of this, but maybe there is a compromise here. Maybe they could allow this during EMH or within an hour of park opening or closing, but not during peak periods.

flynnibus

Premium Member
According to the commission’s website, it has investigated and closed more than 74,000 cases and has negotiated close to $13 million in settlement amounts for more than 1,500 people through its mediation services.

Probably why the lawyer doesn't want to pursue through the state commission.. he just wants a 'qualified opinion' supporting his client's assertions.

Magenta Panther

This is nonsense.

No one has to visit to Walt Disney World. It's not a requirement to live; it's nothing more than a luxury. Disney has made very reasonable accommodations with the implementation of DAS, while cutting down on fraud.

I can not understand how anyone can claim it's unreasonable to wait for a ride when they don't have to wait in line. It is my understanding that DAS allows guests to make a reservation for a ride, wait anywhere for that time to come, and then get immediate access to the ride. The only difference is that they don't get immediate access to every single ride they want, they have to wait somewhere until their reservation. How on earth could this be unreasonable?

If your kid can't wait, then don't go! That is not an unreasonable concept.

I know this is overused, but it needs to be said again. This is why we can't have nice things. This is absurd.

I completely agree. The sense of entitlement that some people have is appalling.

I remember reading about a family who had an autistic child. When the family went to restaurants, that child had a habit of going up to other people's tables, grabbing their drinks and sipping them, and of grabbing food. The child always wore a t-shirt at these times that read: "I'm autistic. What's your excuse?" Which is how the parents chose to deal with their child's behavior. Nice, huh?

So because a child has unfortunate issues, he or she is allowed to disrupt everyone else's experience. Seriously, what the....?

rangerbob

It would fall under discrimination due to medical conditions not being able to be met. People with autism can't handle crowded places as in a line. As dreamfinder pointed out there was a person with autism that would re-ride Snow White numerous times in a day. He knew every person on the ride and they all knew him. It was extremely soothing and fun for him to do it. I believe they don't even visit the park anymore after they changes was done to the GAC pass.

ILOVEDISNEY

The lawyers always go to where the money is, just like flies to a pile of ****. Sorry flies, I really didn't want to compare you to lawyers, but I couldn't think of anything lower then them. Disney will settle out of court and after the lawyers take out their millions in fees each party in the suit will get 69 cents.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I think Disney should just ignore this load of folderol. It's done it's best to accommodate IMO. WDW and Disneyland are THEME PARKS, not schools, not hospitals, not grocery stores. They are amusements, not necessities in order to live. I bet that most people who read that commission's findings will just roll their eyes at it. It's just plain asinine.

Magenta Panther

The lawyers always go to where the money is, just like flies to a pile of ****. Sorry flies, I really didn't want to compare you to lawyers, but I couldn't think of anything lower then them. Disney will settle out of court and after the lawyers take out their fees each party in the suit will get 69 cents.

Which is more than those parties deserve.

flynnibus

Premium Member

While passionate... none of your post is based in legality.. which discrimination against disabled people IS. Discrimination is not illegal, but discrimination on the premise of protected classes IS.

Discriminating against people who chose Superheros for their avatar... allowed. Discriminating against people based on race - not.

Magenta Panther

We have adjusted to what Disney has done and we make use of the DAS passes with getting the times and setting up FP--- times in advanced and have no problems with it. As for the Previous post the GAC pass never provided immediate access to a ride. It would allow access to the FP line though-out the day.

Let me ask you something...is it necessary to take him to a theme park if, through no fault of his own, he can't handle its realities?

Magenta Panther

Except amusement parks are EXPLICITLY called out as areas that are protected under the ADA. So since you're decided where the disabled should be welcomed or not... take it up with your congressmen that the disabled should only be welcome SOME PLACES...

Yes, and they should sit at the back of the bus and use separate drinking fountains...GET OFF. Disney has bent over backwards to accommodate people and children with issues, and then, when the system got abused, it amended it. Now there's a flurry of allegations and lawsuits, and it's ridiculous. If a child can't handle the realities of a theme park - the crowds, the lines, the noise, whatever - then maybe he/she shouldn't be taken to one. There are other places a child can be taken - camping, movies (theaters can be booked for special groups - at least, they can in my area) and so on. Courtesy works both ways. This commission's findings are ludicrous. Again, I hope Disney ignores them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom