News Florida Blue lounge opens in EPCOT'S Norway Pavilion as part of the Food and Wine Festival

Joffrey

I don't know where you guys are getting the impression it's for Florida Blue customers only. Here's their webpage for it https://www.floridablue.com/magic with a link to print the guest pass.

No where on that page nor on the guest pass does it say limited to Florida Blue customers. In fact it says "We look forward to hosting Florida residents of every age with exciting events and opportunities that can only be achieved with a touch of Disney magic."

That reads to me like it's open to everyone (in particular Florida residents) and they're going to try and sell you a timeshare (or health insurance).

castlecake2.0

I don't know where you guys are getting the impression it's for Florida Blue customers only. Here's their webpage for it https://www.floridablue.com/magic with a link to print the guest pass.

No where on that page nor on the guest pass does it say limited to Florida Blue customers. In fact it says "We look forward to hosting Florida residents of every age with exciting events and opportunities that can only be achieved with a touch of Disney magic."

That reads to me like it's open to everyone (in particular Florida residents) and they're going to try and sell you a timeshare (or health insurance).
Too bad they didn’t have a chance to sponsor wonders of life

ToTBellHop

That’s my read as well. I’ll bring a guest pass next month. Worst-case scenario, I walk 50 ft and buy a F&W snack or three.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just some info on getting into the lounge.
I've been told but those in the know that they will soon implement a registration system that will allocate times, and require specific memberships (if demand becomes an issue). They expect it to be available to Florida Blue members (with a Florida Blue account) and Florida Blue employees.

doctornick

This is definitely corporate pandering to corporate without reference to guest experience. There are other Epcot locations that could have been used without taking up a prime guest-facing spot. The upstairs area of American Adventure comes to mind immediately. Plus, every pavilion in FW had a corporate space built in - some of which aren't currently used. I agree having these spaces sit empty isn't a good use. It's that this could have easily been a F&W festival location open to all. (It's literally a restaurant.) Then do the American Adventure as open to all (rotunda) with a special lounge upstairs for members - the whole thing being "sponsored" for and by Blue. It's the consistent look of special access/limited access/faux exclusivity/etc. at the expense of what used to be included and open - all while prices are going up - that is leaving a particularly bad taste.
The American Adventure lounge was converted to Club 33

UNCgolf

Get. Over. It.

A business paid to sponsor a space. That’s not new.

It is new, (at least as far as I know) which is the whole issue. I don't know of any other time Disney has taken a space that was previously open to all guests and changed it into something only open to a corporate sponsor on a regular daily basis (even if just temporarily). It sets a bad precedent.

I'm not sure why you're so passionate about defending it. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine, but it's a legitimate complaint.

Last edited:

peter11435

Wow. It's bizarre that you're so passionate about defending this.

You say it's not new, but I'm not aware of any time this has ever happened before at Disney. I could certainly be wrong. If it has, it was wrong then as well. If it hasn't, this sets a bad precedent going forward.
That what has happened before? There have certainly been spaces that were only accessible to certain groups. This isn’t that unusual. And again… this was a closed venue.

UNCgolf

That what has happened before? There have certainly been spaces that were only accessible to certain groups. This isn’t that unusual. And again… this was a closed venue.

I edited my comment while you were quoting it, which answers the first part.

And yes, it was a temporarily closed venue, but again, they could/should have done the same thing that they did with Restaurant Marrakesh. Or, better yet, use it as a food booth instead of closing an actual attraction. That's really what makes it seem like a terrible decision, although I think it's a bad precedent overall.

When you're using a temporarily closed restaurant as a corporate lounge while also closing an actual attraction to use as a food space for the general public, that's a really poor look.

I agree that it would be much worse if they'd done this to a space that would otherwise be open, though, which is also why it's not as bad as what they chose to do in Canada. I think this would probably bother people less if that hadn't happened.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Epcot has always had corporate lounges, exclusive spaces, and membership-only areas..... this is a non-event.

I'm not sure why people keep saying this; it's conflating two separate things.

This is not that. Regardless of whether you think it's a big deal or not (I don't even think it's a big deal, but it's definitely a mistake when looking at the overall picture and the closure of Canada Far and Wide), it's not comparable.

Epcot82Guy

The American Adventure lounge was converted to Club 33
Those are two separate spaces. The third floor American Adventure corporate lounge was converted to Club 33. Currently (at least as of my last visit this summer), the rotunda and second floor (where you used to enter the theater) are not being used. People enter and exit the American Adventure via the theater exit. The rotunda was used as a general cafe. My point was to use the second floor (mezzanine) as the Blue lounge. Sort of like a VIP area over the "main floor". It already has elevator and escalator access (since it's actually the theater entrance) and could share the food service with the Rotunda cafe. You arguably could even let people enter the theater there if you wanted to as an added perk.

Epcot82Guy

Epcot has always had corporate lounges, exclusive spaces, and membership-only areas..... this is a non-event.

This misses the point entirely. Those lounges were tucked away. The VAST majority of g
guests had no idea they existed. They weren't put in a primary location right in front of everyone - like a sectioned off area of the park. So, it enhanced the experience of those guests without making others feel like they were being left out.

While I agree it isn't the biggest deal, it's a dangerous game to play in hospitality. The crowd you attract with VIP and exclusivity in this manner is different than the prior. It's the hidden speakeasy back bar in the great lounge vs. the blatant VIP section with "bottle service".

GimpYancIent

This may hurt some feelings but since the renaming and, the now, long term non-presence of the sisters the vast majority of guests will not care about much less even notice the "Florida Blue Lounge".

dreday3

This misses the point entirely. Those lounges were tucked away. The VAST majority of g
guests had no idea they existed. They weren't put in a primary location right in front of everyone - like a sectioned off area of the park. So, it enhanced the experience of those guests without making others feel like they were being left out.

While I agree it isn't the biggest deal, it's a dangerous game to play in hospitality. The crowd you attract with VIP and exclusivity in this manner is different than the prior. It's the hidden speakeasy back bar in the great lounge vs. the blatant VIP section with "bottle service".

I have to agree with this.

While it's not going to have any influence on my trip, it is a bit weird to see a once popular restaurant, in a country in Epcot, near a very popular ride be closed to become a "members only" type of lounge. Even if it's only temporary and due to Covid.

The sorry, you're aren't allowed is a bit in your face. :)

speck76

I'm not sure why people keep saying this; it's conflating two separate things.

This is not that. Regardless of whether you think it's a big deal or not (I don't even think it's a big deal, but it's definitely a mistake when looking at the overall picture and the closure of Canada Far and Wide), it's not comparable.
The Canadian 360 has been closed for at least the past 3 years during food and wine..... this is nothing new.

speck76

So for the last two years an oft forgotten show was used to hawk maple syrup and hard cider..... - what is the issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom