Flogging a Dead Horse: Imagination Refurbishment... will it ever happen?

Jim Possible

Original Poster
Given that I'm a relatively new poster here, please forgive me if there's an official thread on this buried in the forum already.

That being said: Please "Disney insiders" tell me that there are plans afoot for a massive redo of this attraction.

Then... please tell me that those plans don't suck.

This is probably one of the biggest hot buttons for the fanbois, and has to be on Disney's to-do list.

Even if there's no love for the Dreamfinder with the Powers That Be, from a business standpoint the Imagination pavilion is deader than a doornail. It's the end of Epcot.

There was talk sometime ago about some new Imagineering offices over there. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but could it mean that there's more in store than Tron Track for Future World?

So what's the latest word? Anyone?

CJR

I'm no insider, but I can say that it is unlikely anything will happen there for awhile (within the next year or two). Eventually? Of course. It's definitely not next on their list at Epcot though. I think management likes to forget that area's there and looks away saying "Wow, there's Test Track!" I do expect it to be the next major (by my definition*) project at Epcot though.

*Not a similar looking attraction like a replacement firework show for IllumiNations or retooled Universe of Energy. I consider Test Track to be major work though (I know it's kind of the same, but it's going to look SO different), to give you an idea.

CJR

It should just be a big dark empty tunnel and when you ride it, you imagine the ride.

That is SO funny, I like it. It would be better than what is there now!

I guess I liked what is there now when it first opened, but it's not rerideable.

CJR

if they get a new sponsor that is willing to pay for a new pavilion...

but short of that happening... no hope it seems.

That's the thing, I don't think they've even tried getting a sponsor at this point in time. They'll either do something on the level of The Living Seas or pitch a crazy and extreme makeover to a sponsor. I don't see a sponsor keeping it in its current form. Disney might not even keep it that way if we wait long enough.

Uddy

Imagination was awesome in the 80s. I'll never understand why they shut down the upstairs. I miss the rainbow tunnel, glass ceiling, and the pin tables. I hate it now. Too many lame computer games and I really never cared for DreamFinder. Suely something cool could fit in the shell of that building. I call for a complete redo!

MerlinTheGoat

It should just be a big dark empty tunnel and when you ride it, you imagine the ride.
Honestly, I feel the current ride really isn't that far off from that exact description- a big dark empty tunnel. And i've certainly imagined a better ride than it during the three times I force-tortured myself by riding it. Many parts of the ride are just dark blank tunnels of nothing, with a couple of cheap tacky signs taped to the wall. The current ride feels like they just gutted the show building and forgot to put the show in, literally just like a ride track through en empty dark warehouse with very little show elements. To make matters worse, the incredibly sparse ride material that IS present seems to exist solely to annoy guests and quite literally rip a rancid fart right in their faces. It feels like a middle finger to both guests AND imagination itself. I'm glad to say the ride has never had a line, even when I've visited the busiest seasons of the year.

This is a dead horse worth beating IMO. I'll give Disney no breaks on the matter nor will I ever cease to waggle my finger in shame at them for what they did to this ride (and Epcot in general). Imagination to me was one of the best fantasy rides ever created. Wonderful imaginative visuals packed with detail at every turn that still look good to this day when I watch old videos of the ride. An impressive, unique, and technically impressive (if technically problematic) introduction scene. Two wonderful original characters that meld perfectly with the them. A great catchy soundtrack from the Sherman Brothers. And need I even go into the wonderful Imageworks upstairs, a wonderful playground that got interactive attractions right?

And the funny thing is that had the original ride still been around it would have been one of the best aged classic rides at Epcot or any other Disney park as well, standing alongside classics like Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion IMHO. Though I lament the loss of other classic Epcot rides equally as much, I can at least fully realize that they required some retooling of some of the scenes to stay up to date with our current outlook on futurism (though pretty much everything that replaced them ironically ended up being a huge step backwards in keeping up Epcot's future theme). Imagination's original concept however is timeless and I can think of very little about the ride that would have dated it. Nothing about the ride was so dated to warrant a gutting and replacement with the travesty that now resides there.

I'm sure they COULD find a way to make it worse than it is now. Perhaps removing what little show elements remain or shuttering the ride completely like Wonders of Life and upstairs. But I can't see it taking much effort to make the ride better than it currently is. Something new and great is always welcome, but the current ride makes me gag so much that I'd still think just redoing the original ride as a 100% copy would be a billion times better than what is there now. Too bad it sounds like Hollywood Studios is the only park that is going to get anything and Epcot will be left to rot after Test Track redo is done.

po1998

I think the whole corporate sponsor thing is a little ridiculous at this point, Disney is now one of the largest corporations the planet, they certainly don't need outside money to build their attractions anymore
I agree. "Without a sponsor this won't get renovated/built" is a joke of an excuse. All of FW is begging for some attention, and all they are doing is renovating an attraction that was already one of the two most popular in Epcot. How does that make the park better?

The Empress Lilly

Honestly, I feel the current ride really isn't that far off from that exact description- a big dark empty tunnel. And i've certainly imagined a better ride than it during the three times I force-tortured myself by riding it. Many parts of the ride are just dark blank tunnels of nothing, with a couple of cheap tacky signs taped to the wall. The current ride feels like they just gutted the show building and forgot to put the show in, literally just like a ride track through en empty dark warehouse with very little show elements. To make matters worse, the incredibly sparse ride material that IS present seems to exist solely to annoy guests and quite literally rip a rancid fart right in their faces. It feels like a middle finger to both guests AND imagination itself. I'm glad to say the ride has never had a line, even when I've visited the busiest seasons of the year.

This is a dead horse worth beating IMO. I'll give Disney no breaks on the matter nor will I ever cease to waggle my finger in shame at them for what they did to this ride (and Epcot in general). Imagination to me was one of the best fantasy rides ever created. Wonderful imaginative visuals packed with detail at every turn that still look good to this day when I watch old videos of the ride. An impressive, unique, and technically impressive (if technically problematic) introduction scene. Two wonderful original characters that meld perfectly with the them. A great catchy soundtrack from the Sherman Brothers. And need I even go into the wonderful Imageworks upstairs, a wonderful playground that got interactive attractions right?

And the funny thing is that had the original ride still been around it would have been one of the best aged classic rides at Epcot or any other Disney park as well, standing alongside classics like Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion IMHO. Though I lament the loss of other classic Epcot rides equally as much, I can at least fully realize that they required some retooling of some of the scenes to stay up to date with our current outlook on futurism (though pretty much everything that replaced them ironically ended up being a huge step backwards in keeping up Epcot's future theme). Imagination's original concept however is timeless and I can think of very little about the ride that would have dated it. Nothing about the ride was so dated to warrant a gutting and replacement with the travesty that now resides there.

I'm sure they COULD find a way to make it worse than it is now. Perhaps removing what little show elements remain or shuttering the ride completely like Wonders of Life and upstairs. But I can't see it taking much effort to make the ride better than it currently is. Something new and great is always welcome, but the current ride makes me gag so much that I'd still think just redoing the original ride as a 100% copy would be a billion times better than what is there now. Too bad it sounds like Hollywood Studios is the only park that is going to get anything and Epcot will be left to rot after Test Track redo is done.
Hear hear!

Life can be so hard as a Disney fan and EPCOT fanatic.
tr35.gif

Clamman73

The thing is it will never be the same as it was, including upstairs. It's a hard pill to swallow since it was a great total experience at that pavillion. I'll probably chill out for a bit by the jumping water fountains and think back about 25 yrs to how things were, but then I'll have to get up and go try some of that cheddar cheese soup during F&W. :)

The Empress Lilly

There are always plans for Imagination, even close to being greenlit, but never a budget.

Maybe the moment has passed already. In the current climate, I don't think Disney will build a ride in Imagination that's not tied in to a known IP. Without synergy, there's no money. And, particular to EPCOT, without a celebrity, it is thought the audience 'won't get it'.

Sadly, Disney does not seem to see any potential in Figment himself. Personally I think he is strong enough to carry an entire pavilion and even the park as a whole. Figment, and not 'a geek', is the embodiment of EPCOT. EPCOT is not educational, it is about Figment's wide-eyed childish delight and curiosity.

Journey into Wreck-it Ralph's Imagination maybe? Well, it is about computer games so it fits EPCOT's theme!!1 Then play video games upstairs, tied in with some flash apps and NextGen. I think something like this is more likely than anything remotely resembling Imagination 1.0.

MerlinTheGoat

Hear hear!

Life can be so hard as a Disney fan and EPCOT fanatic.
tr35.gif
True that. I grew up with Epcot when it was still in its heyday (early 90's) and witnessed its systematic butchery over a painful course of time. Even as a hyper nutty kid who loved his Magic Kingdom, Epcot STILL managed to consistently hold my attention and I adored it. Future World is a hollow shell of what it once was. I hate to sound like I dislike anything "new" but that's not it at all. I welcome and expect things to be updated at a theme park dedicated to our progress as a human race. But what I also expect out of attractions at Epcot

It doesn't help that the new Imagination caught me off guard. I hadn't visited WDW since 1997 (before Imagination was redone), until I moved down to Florida several years back. For the most part I had not kept up with Disney park related news during my long hiatus from WDW and up until I was actually on the ride itself I was unaware that they had changed it. So I thought I was going to ride the same old ride from my childhood. Oops, hated it outright. After giving myself time to process the sheer disappointment, I calmed my mind and decided to ride again with an open mind and distance myself from prior original expectations. I wanted to judge the ride on its own merits only. Rode again and still hated it even as a standalone ride. After again giving myself plenty of time, I gave it one more chance but still nothing changed in my view. I have now given up on it and haven't ridden it since that last time. The only way I could potentially see myself forced into riding it ever again would be if it were the peak of summer heat at 2 million degrees outside and I was dying for AC. And even then the choice between baking in the sun or being annoyed to death/farted on is a very debatable one, which is saying a lot considering my dislike of very hot and muggy weather (happy to say I have a plan C in cases like this with Living With the Land in such close proximity, so neither form of torture is necessary). My dislike of the current iteration goes far beyond my love of the original, even on its own merits the new version fails.

Though as '74 says, my first mistake with dealing with the modern Disney company was having expectations. Bless him, he's right, a sad but true statement.

The one thing I guess I have to concede that I'm incredibly grateful for is that Disney didn't go through with plans to gut Spaceship Earth and turn it into a roller coaster with video screens. The new script and descent sequence are admittedly terrible, but I still enjoy the ride and can deal with that far more than the concept of Time Racers. And I thank heavens Living With The Land is still present as well (which may now be my favorite ride at Epcot), very worried the short lines will eventually put this on the chopping block though.

Oh hey, I guess this thread became my personal Epcot venting session. Sorry 'bout that, but sometimes a dead horse can't be beaten enough.

Honestly, with a strong enough attraction as well as smart marketing, it's been proven perfectly possible to create a brand new original character that ends up being popular. Figment is a perfect example of this when he was originally introduced. Pirates of the Caribbean ended up evolving into a massive and profitable franchise. You don't need something familiar to sell if you yourself are capable of creating new imaginative characters and are skilled at marketing them. Pixar does it all the time in their movies by creating new and beloved popular characters, no reason there couldn't be a new original character come out of a ride. I think Figment AND Dreamfinder both show us it can be done. And I still feel they're BOTH relevant and should be Epcot's mascots if they can only do something with the ride and be more intelligent in marketing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom