Flip belt or Running Buddy to avoid bag lines...

Disneyfreak Jen

Original Poster
Trying to plan ahead for my next trip and not take a bag in, the lines for the bag check can be long. The Flip Belt looks like it will be undetectable under clothes as long as I don't overload it or put my phone in there, and I like that one better than the Running Buddy.

Anyone use one, and if so, did they make you stand in the bag line for it even though it's not a bag?

Goofyernmost

Way to much is made of the bag check and the time it takes to go through it. I have never been more then 5 minutes no matter what time of the day I went. Even in Disneyland Paris where they have bag x-ray it went fast. I believe that I read that they are starting to us metal detectors all over now (I'm not sure, I haven't seen them and not much has been said about them) so really the couple of minutes you would save is really not worth it. As long as you don't have anything in the bag that is a problem it is very, very quick.

StarWarsGirl

I believe that I read that they are starting to us metal detectors all over now (I'm not sure, I haven't seen them and not much has been said about them)
They are trying to get to the point where they scan everyone, but for now it's a random security check.

Trying to plan ahead for my next trip and not take a bag in, the lines for the bag check can be long. The Flip Belt looks like it will be undetectable under clothes as long as I don't overload it or put my phone in there, and I like that one better than the Running Buddy.

Anyone use one, and if so, did they make you stand in the bag line for it even though it's not a bag?
Usually they want to see everything, and it will depend on the security CM. Last time, I had one who wanted to look in my wallet. That, IMO, was overkill. But then same CM completely missed the front section of my backpacko_O

My advice is to carry what you'll need and to not worry about security checkpoints. Don't neglect to carry important items, such as sunscreen, umbrella/ponchos, and water because of the security checkpoint. Just have your bag open and ready when you get there. Also, put everything in small, clear, plastic baggies so that they can easily see. Talking them through what you have also helps. For instance, one day on my last trip, I had a portable nebulizer one of the days when I was in the park, which most security guards probably won't be able to identify. I had it open and ready to show the guard right away and told them what it was. They took a brief look at the rest of the contents, but since I was straightforward with them, they pretty much figured I had nothing to hide.

dreamfinder

It totally depends on the CM working the station. I've seen people try to go through the "No Bag" entrance carrying a purse. Sometimes the CM will stop them and direct them to the bag lines, other times they will do the check then and there. But anything that looks like a bag they can and may direct you to the bag line.

I personally wouldn't bother with any sort of running belt. Those are specifically meant to allow runners to carry essentials with them while running. Most running clothes don't have more than 1 small pocket, and some runners are compelled to carry alot of stuff with them, hence belts like what you are describing. You won't be able to fit anything inside of those that you can't fit in your pockets. And if your wardrobe you were planning on taking doesn't have pockets, I would rethink that so that you can put that same stuff inside your pockets instead of monkeying with a running belt.

thomas998

They are trying to get to the point where they scan everyone, but for now it's a random security check.

Usually they want to see everything, and it will depend on the security CM. Last time, I had one who wanted to look in my wallet. That, IMO, was overkill. But then same CM completely missed the front section of my backpacko_O

My advice is to carry what you'll need and to not worry about security checkpoints. Don't neglect to carry important items, such as sunscreen, umbrella/ponchos, and water because of the security checkpoint. Just have your bag open and ready when you get there. Also, put everything in small, clear, plastic baggies so that they can easily see. Talking them through what you have also helps. For instance, one day on my last trip, I had a portable nebulizer one of the days when I was in the park, which most security guards probably won't be able to identify. I had it open and ready to show the guard right away and told them what it was. They took a brief look at the rest of the contents, but since I was straightforward with them, they pretty much figured I had nothing to hide.

The trick is to pick the right line. Best done by looking ahead to see which rent-a-cop is acting like Barney Fife and which one is just collecting a paycheck. Pick the paycheck line and you won't have a problem. The worst experience is always the one that takes their job seriously and looks in every nook and cranny. Never ceases to amaze me how ridiculously meticulous they can be about going into some of the bag while completely ignoring what you have in your pockets. I could probably stuff several hand guns and magazines into my pants pockets and yet they only care about looking in a bag.... boggles the mind.

Goofyernmost

The trick is to pick the right line. Best done by looking ahead to see which rent-a-cop is acting like Barney Fife and which one is just collecting a paycheck. Pick the paycheck line and you won't have a problem. The worst experience is always the one that takes their job seriously and looks in every nook and cranny. Never ceases to amaze me how ridiculously meticulous they can be about going into some of the bag while completely ignoring what you have in your pockets. I could probably stuff several hand guns and magazines into my pants pockets and yet they only care about looking in a bag.... boggles the mind.
It's not the guys at the bag check that you have to worry about. It's those others that you don't see that are studying, profiling and looking for little body language signs that someone that has a reason to be concerned might be showing while you pass through. You don't seriously think that those rent a cops are the last line of defense do you?

thomas998

It's not the guys at the bag check that you have to worry about. It's those others that you don't see that are studying, profiling and looking for little body language signs that someone that has a reason to be concerned might be showing while you pass through. You don't seriously think that those rent a cops are the last line of defense do you?
I see the rent-a-cops as the pointless defense that is supposed to make people think they are safe, much like the TSA agents at airports. I don't expect them to actually catch anyone that is really trying to smuggle something just make some people that worry feel better.

Disney4family

We use a clear f@nny pack and clear backpack. Takes seconds compared to others who use backpacks designed for yearlong trekking in the Alps with a bazillion compartments. Worth purchasing. Now if only Disney would sell them so everyone would go through in seconds...

Goofyernmost

I see the rent-a-cops as the pointless defense that is supposed to make people think they are safe, much like the TSA agents at airports. I don't expect them to actually catch anyone that is really trying to smuggle something just make some people that worry feel better.
Then you would be wrong. They are there to physically check the bags for anything that could be a problem. Remember the Boston Marathon and the exploding backpack? However, a bigger function is to slow the crowd down and allow the real security time to evaluate. Wake up, if part of your wonderful experience is to be sent home in pieces, then resent the presence however minor you may think it is. It's the world we live in today.

thomas998

Then you would be wrong. They are there to physically check the bags for anything that could be a problem. Remember the Boston Marathon and the exploding backpack? However, a bigger function is to slow the crowd down and allow the real security time to evaluate. Wake up, if part of your wonderful experience is to be sent home in pieces, then resent the presence however minor you may think it is. It's the world we live in today.

Believe what you want. But the reality is nothing like what you describe. Truth is a terrorist that wanted to get big headlines and carnage that would make Boston look like nothing would simply wear your basic suicide vest go up to the mass of people being slowed down by the bag check and press the trigger. You have to remember that there is no security when you park your car, no one checking anything when you board the monorail or ferry... A terrorist doesn't need to worry about anyone stopping him... Sure it might not allow him to blow up Cinderellas castle but it would accomplish all they really want which is to kill lots of people cause fear and get news coverage.

YozhikRoth

If you plan ahead and be ready to unload everything as soon as you get on the screening line, you won't have delays. I have to put more stuff in the bins than Batman keeps in his utility belt, and I can be through in a snap. Where it goes sideways is when people aren't prepared-they need to search for things that need to be separated, refuse to take off their shoes, forget about the keys in their pants..........

thomas998

If you plan ahead and be ready to unload everything as soon as you get on the screening line, you won't have delays. I have to put more stuff in the bins than Batman keeps in his utility belt, and I can be through in a snap. Where it goes sideways is when people aren't prepared-they need to search for things that need to be separated, refuse to take off their shoes, forget about the keys in their pants..........

Very true... It is the reason that in addition to avoiding the security point manned by the over zealous Barney Fife you also want to be on the look out for the dreaded baby stroller with associated camping gear. On more than one occasion a line that was moving like a flowing river gets dammed up by someone that doesn't just have a stroller but has also decided to cram as many bags into the stroller as humanly possible.... When that happens it doesn't matter which guard you've got the line will pretty much come to a screeching halt.

YozhikRoth

One quick tip I found that works wonders-I put keys, watch, fitbit, iphone (just about everything I carry on my person) into my laptop bag BEFORE I get on line.

Last time I flew, a woman took up 8(!) bins at Newark, meticulously organizing everything into each bin, then gave me attitude when I grabbed my two bins and zipped past her.

Mad Stitch

I personally wouldn't bother with any sort of running belt. Those are specifically meant to allow runners to carry essentials with them while running. Most running clothes don't have more than 1 small pocket, and some runners are compelled to carry alot of stuff with them, hence belts like what you are describing. You won't be able to fit anything inside of those that you can't fit in your pockets. And if your wardrobe you were planning on taking doesn't have pockets, I would rethink that so that you can put that same stuff inside your pockets instead of monkeying with a running belt.

I agree with this. You would be better off just using your pockets. Another reason runners use belts is because if we did happen to have pockets, after 10 miles of keys smacking against your leg with every stride it will leave a bruise. But if you are intent on getting a Flip Belt I do have one of those and would recommend them.

Last edited:

thomas998

We use a clear f@nny pack and clear backpack. Takes seconds compared to others who use backpacks designed for yearlong trekking in the Alps with a bazillion compartments. Worth purchasing. Now if only Disney would sell them so everyone would go through in seconds...

Also is you use a pack clear or otherwise if you just wear a loose shirt and don't tuck it in so it covers your pack you can just walk through the no bag line. I've done that once in a while and no one ever noticed... trick is to have the pack on the side or back where it wont show.

Goofyernmost

Believe what you want. But the reality is nothing like what you describe. Truth is a terrorist that wanted to get big headlines and carnage that would make Boston look like nothing would simply wear your basic suicide vest go up to the mass of people being slowed down by the bag check and press the trigger. You have to remember that there is no security when you park your car, no one checking anything when you board the monorail or ferry... A terrorist doesn't need to worry about anyone stopping him... Sure it might not allow him to blow up Cinderellas castle but it would accomplish all they really want which is to kill lots of people cause fear and get news coverage.
Apparently denial is more then a river in Egypt. So you think that because it isn't set up like Fort Knox, then we might just as well not take any precautions at all? Even a little is better then nothing and, like I've said over and over, what is visible is just the tip of the iceberg. Believe it or not, that's fine with me, but, I'm glad that they are taking measures, no matter how minor they may seem instead of just deciding that "if we ignore it, it will go away".

thomas998

Apparently denial is more then a river in Egypt. So you think that because it isn't set up like Fort Knox, then we might just as well not take any precautions at all? Even a little is better then nothing and, like I've said over and over, what is visible is just the tip of the iceberg. Believe it or not, that's fine with me, but, I'm glad that they are taking measures, no matter how minor they may seem instead of just deciding that "if we ignore it, it will go away".
Yes... You are clearly in denial.... You completely ignored the facts I presented you about the lack of security up to an until you reach the bag check... Explain how you have any security at all up to that point. There is none and it provides an insanely easy place for someone looking to cause chaos to strike. I don't care if they install metal detectors and require a full body strip search where they currently do the bag check - it wouldn't stop something from happening at that point.... in which case the security is just a joke to make the naive people feel safe.

Goofyernmost

Yes... You are clearly in denial.... You completely ignored the facts I presented you about the lack of security up to an until you reach the bag check... Explain how you have any security at all up to that point. There is none and it provides an insanely easy place for someone looking to cause chaos to strike. I don't care if they install metal detectors and require a full body strip search where they currently do the bag check - it wouldn't stop something from happening at that point.... in which case the security is just a joke to make the naive people feel safe.
We need to end this endless speculation, but, I have to ask how you know that there are no other security measures before you get to the gate. Chances are that there isn't much other then camera surveillance, but you can't secure the entire world, so you pick the spots where it is easier to closely see what is going on. An activity like that wouldn't want to waste time on the small damage that a parking lot attack might cause, you'd wait until you are were the crowds are wouldn't you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom