News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that no executive in any boardroom had any awareness of or involvement in this show.

Unfortunately you would lose, Whyinthehell would any creative shoehorn movie IP into a show that clearly did not need it and had been popular for 20 years, Other than a IP and merchandising tie in, Can you imagine Joe Rohde approving this steaming pile of dung ??? This was a suit job from start to finish.

gustaftp

I saw the show on Thursday. I think the whole thing could've stood on its own without the inclusion of Russell and Dug -- they seemed to be rather pointless. I enjoyed the Indian dances and flair, and would've liked to see even more of that, if the direction of the show did need to change to focus more on culture.

I found it somewhat nonsensical that Russell ran away from a bird because "he was scared of it", and as soon as he was on the stage again he was saying something about being a "friend to all".

One of the birds refused to fly through people's arm tunnel. The trainers/actors on stage just sort of threw their hands in the air and laughed it off.

The other traveller in my party dozed off during the show. I can't say I blamed her.

Haymarket2008

I know this is usually sent out in surveys when a new attraction opens, but I got one asking me in detail about my thoughts on the show. Simply stated that the show suffers from the inclusion of the UP characters and was a noticeable shoehorning. I wonder how long this will last....if they are thinking about replacing Rivers of Light in the next 3 years, and I really enjoy RoL, then they will DEFINITELY be getting rid of this.

Cmdr_Crimson

Has this improved?
giphy.gif

Cmdr_Crimson

turns out it was pumping so much awesome into the air that FP+ booking was made available so everyone could get a whiff
- so yeah, why risk missing out? everyone should be burning FP's on this... totally.
It's more of a "we ran out of FP's for Everest, Kilmanjaro, Flight of passage, river journey, and Dinosaur." Now you got something to fill that void..

JohnD

That was 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. The old show? I could watch it again and again. What's the purpose of Russell and that dog anyway? They just run around chasing chickens and aren't even involved with the show. Plus a rehash of Miles, Frasier Crane, eagle, etc.

halltd

I really enjoyed the old show. I loooooove Up, Dug, and Russell, but I’m embarrassed by the new show. The characters distract from the message of the show and the beauty of the birds. The theater is way nicer. The show? Wow. I can’t stomach that mess again.

Kman101

That was 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. The old show? I could watch it again and again. What's the purpose of Russell and that dog anyway? They just run around chasing chickens and aren't even involved with the show. Plus a rehash of Miles, Frasier Crane, eagle, etc.

Having seen the show in person, Russell and Dug are totally unnecessary. They didn't have to be though. The Joe character could have stuck around (or a new one) as the Wilderness Explorer leader. Russell teaches him that it's OK not to be afraid of birds, using Annika as she is (I like tying the show more into Asia). It's a take on the old show using Russell and Dug. It's not perfect or ideal but it would have worked. I can't remember the poster at the moment, but there was a poster who had another great idea for the show. It really wasn't that hard. They basically shoved Russell and Dug in like they do other IP and called it a day (well, not totally, but that's what it feels like)

This show is a mish-mash of like three ideas. It just doesn't come together.

It didn't need IP, but the IP chosen wasn't the worst idea in the world. It's too bad they did what they usually do. It was kind of a waste of an opportunity, actually. I'm more disappointed than anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom