News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

yedliW

We've never been there when a soft opening was going on.. When shows do 'soft openings', how do people in the park know it is going on? Is it on the daily schedule, or is it just open? We'll be there in early March, what are the chances a 'soft opening' will be going on then?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We've never been there when a soft opening was going on.. When shows do 'soft openings', how do people in the park know it is going on? Is it on the daily schedule, or is it just open? We'll be there in early March, what are the chances a 'soft opening' will be going on then?
Soft opens by their very nature are usually unannounced, and have no published shedule. Staying tuned here is your best bet to get an idea of what is happening.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
"The park will also launch a “dino-tastic” celebration, in which Donald Duck takes over Dinoland, U.S.A., in a new character celebration."

This was snuck into the Parks Blog part about the Up show... should I just expect another dance party?
What's next? Will the yeti host a disco party over in Asia?

tminus7

Have you guys noticed that Disney hasn't mentioned the name of the show anymore? I haven't seen "Explorers Meet UP! A Great Bird Adventure" in any of the recent announcements. Wonder if they changed it.

PizzaPlanet

1519143878021.png

Something about this concept art seems off to me. It might be the way Dug is standing on his hind legs.

Kman101

Could end up being a nice update (that ties the show further to the land), if they don't talk down to the entire audience like all of us are in preschool. I like the role of the caretaker and I don't necessarily find it a problem tying in the Wilderness Explorers with Russell. We'll see.

Glad they switched to 'Explorers' instead of 'Adventurers' in the beginning of the title. Still a ridiculous mouthful but it's better than it was. I like the name "A Great Bird Adventure". But I liked Flights of Wonder too. Wonder if having "Flights of Passage" had anything to do with the name change too?

No Name

View attachment 265553
Something about this concept art seems off to me. It might be the way Dug is standing on his hind legs.

It's Russell. There can only be one reason he's practicing his throwing motion during a bird show. Someone should tell him that the phrase "knock out two birds with one stone" isn't to be taken literally. But they won't notice him plotting against the two on the right, because they're all so focused on the left ones for some reason. The birds in the back look concerned though.

Dug looks odd because he's not pointing. Pointing with one finger is considered rude and offensive in many countries, many of those in Asia, and it's against cast member rules at Disney. The lady on the right is pointing because she's using two fingers. But there's no way that a giant cartoon dog in a bird show in Asia is being culturally insensitive. He's probably doing the disco.

es135

It doesn't look like much is changing in the physical set. I'm cautiously optimistic about this replacement. As long as they keep the conservation message of Flights of Wonder, I think I could get behind it. I am a bit nervous, however, about how they'll incorporate the characters. Will we have prerecorded dialogue mixed with the human trainers speaking? That could be a bit awkward.

Figment82

Some rather interesting color choices on the macaws along the back wall of the theatre... 😐 I’m all for artistic interpretation, but that’s going a bit too far.

Dug looks like he’s doing his best Usain Bolt impression!

cjkeating

It doesn't look like much is changing in the physical set. I'm cautiously optimistic about this replacement. As long as they keep the conservation message of Flights of Wonder, I think I could get behind it. I am a bit nervous, however, about how they'll incorporate the characters. Will we have prerecorded dialogue mixed with the human trainers speaking? That could be a bit awkward.

Yeah, that was one of my initial concerns. I know people either loved of hated Guano Joe at least he could ad lib when things went wrong.

Hopefully Russel/Doug just make a cameo appearance at the end.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It took me way too long to get the title and then I wished I hadn’t. They might as well call it Trending UP!: Russel’s Bird Vlogz
They could just as easily called it "Spending UP!: A Special Fleecing of the Guests By Charging Extra To Watch A Bird Show"...

But they didn't. Thank goodness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom