Flight of Passage Pre-show Burn-In has begun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I didn't know OLED had a burn in problem. CRT had a burn in problem with stock tickers and static images like that. LCD's never really had that problem and the best looking in my opinion, plasma TV's, did have a burn in problem until their very late versions.
They do, but most consumers will never experience it. CNET did a decent article on the subject.

https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know/

Where a normal consumer would start to see it is if they regularly played video games with a HUD for long periods, or if a TV was kept on the same channel that had a continuous logo in the corner of the screen. OLED screens on phones are very susceptible to burn in as most have on-screen controls that are always there.

Tom Morrow

Another thing Uh Guy is trying to accomplish is to further establish the tone of Flight of Passage and how it is different than what everyone has come to expect from theme park attractions. Although a thrill ride, Flight of Passage is about peace and tranquility rather than chaos. There is no conflict and no impeding doom, this is not unstable new technology but rather a well established process from a group of scientists with pure intentions. Maybe you were expecting the ride to take place during an intense battle like the movie, but nope, this is so normal that our host has time to give a mundane and relaxed, albeit awkward, delivery.

His awkwardness is an artistic choice that makes total sense, but I think some people don't catch on to what he's supposed to be and are just confused as to why he sounds awkward. I don't think this would be the case if the awkwardness didn't call attention to itself with non-natural sounding uh's and pauses. His dialogue is also intentionally simplified so small children can understand the premise of the ride, which is relatively high-concept. This combination I believe is why he resonates negatively with people. I personally don't find him annoying and I still enjoy the pre-show, but I wouldn't be against a re-shoot either.

deeevo

Just got off FoP, and the inevitable has happened - the second pre-show has begun to have artifacts from"burn-in," an unfortunate byproduct of using OLED screens.

For those who do not know, Burn-in occurs when a screen displays the same or similar images for long periods of time. This was common on older screens before LCD and LED screens took hold in consumer electronics, but OLED screens with their "absolute black" brought them back.

Flight of Passage uses it for it's pre-show, as it allows the screens to be invisible behind the black acrylic panel. Unfortunately, they will have to be replaced when the burn in gets bad.

For now, the only effect of it is the presence of numbered circles in the safety video. But it will get worse over time.

Thoughts, info, etc?
Hope they bought the PSP.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Another thing Uh Guy is trying to accomplish is to further establish the tone of Flight of Passage and how it is different than what everyone has come to expect from theme park attractions. Although a thrill ride, Flight of Passage is about peace and tranquility rather than chaos. There is no conflict and no impeding doom, this is not unstable new technology but rather a well established process from a group of scientists with pure intentions.

You realize you almost get killed by a Great Leonopteryx? Dr. Totally-not-Sigourney-Weaver explains that "you may face some of its greatest challenges" as she points to the skull of one.

JohnD

Just got off FoP, and the inevitable has happened - the second pre-show has begun to have artifacts from"burn-in," an unfortunate byproduct of using OLED screens.

For those who do not know, Burn-in occurs when a screen displays the same or similar images for long periods of time. This was common on older screens before LCD and LED screens took hold in consumer electronics, but OLED screens with their "absolute black" brought them back.

Flight of Passage uses it for it's pre-show, as it allows the screens to be invisible behind the black acrylic panel. Unfortunately, they will have to be replaced when the burn in gets bad.

For now, the only effect of it is the presence of numbered circles in the safety video. But it will get worse over time.

Thoughts, info, etc?

One of the best rides. One of the worst pre-shows. I’m just heartbroken (sarcasm).

Tom Morrow

You realize you almost get killed by a Great Leonopteryx? Dr. Totally-not-Sigourney-Weaver explains that "you may face some of its greatest challenges" as she points to the skull of one.
Yeah, but that’s like 15 seconds of the ride and it’s nice that they even warn you about it. I get that they had to include at least one moment of danger. They don’t linger on that moment and it is a prelude to the beautiful cave segment.

What I’m saying is there’s no battle or “oh no something went wrong and now we have to _____! Hurry!” Element. No chaos. Just exactly what the premise promises.

If Universal had made it you can be sure the military would make a surprise appearance or something and then it’s all, “looks like we’ll have to cut your rite of passage short! Quickly! Follow me!”

Last edited:

tissandtully

Meh, high quality zone lit LCDs can produce near blacks and won't suffer the issue. My QLED Samsung TV produces very deep blacks. Not as good as OLED, but if OLED is going to look like crap in 6 months, what's the point?

It's the wrong application of OLED if they are going to have static images, period. Now we have to watch a terrible picture until they swap them.
Only issue with local dimming sets is the viewing angles. I agree though, OLED was a bad choice, though the ones in the queue look amazing. They are also prob custom OLED designs so they probably have spares already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom